Skunked on the Bog again!

wuchikubo

My fishing buddy and I headed out for our first ice trip this year :D , tried a few new spots that had green vegetation (something I couldn't locate the last two times last year's season). We drilled the first hole at about 8:15am. Depths were 4-7 FOW. We put on the Vex, questionable readings so I dropped the aqua vu down to take a look, lots of weeds, no fish, drilled another 4 holes in the area, same results. Jigged raps, plastics, and live minnows (bought from a local bait seller who didn't provide a receipt). :glare:

Moved to another spot about 3-5 mins away, same procedure, same result. :blink:

Moved to another spot closer to a bunch of ice huts but far enough not to be earshot. Same procedure, same results. :blink: One fella yells out, "Did you catch a pic this morn?", another guy's response could not be made out.

This is where it got interesting. Got a phone call from the wife and kids (not too happy).

Gave it until 12:30pm then had to head home as I did the goofy thing of taking off with both my car keys and my wife's car keys in my jacket :rolleyes: , boy did I get an earful on the lake! My buddy sitting 20 ft away could hear it, as I could tell by the smirk on his face! However, I felt sorry for my buddy as I had to leave else I'd be sleeping in a mound of snow with the inside scooped out in the backyard (no doghouse, that would be too nice, LOL). Cut our planned trip short by about 4 hours. :glare:

Anyways, can anyone help me get out of this Bog funk? :worthy: That's 0 for 3 counting last year's two outings. :dunno:

Thanks for reading,

Stan

well thats to bad HH,maybe you should get a contour map of the bog,look for points,shoals,and weed flats,then go there and start drilling holes and checking things out,also maybe adjust your timming FIRST LIGHT & LAST LIGHT,and always stay at least 1hr. after dark,timming is everything,830am is bankers hours get there early...same as last light get there about 3pm...get all set up holes drilled and GET-ER-DONE....try that next time...hope this helps....good luck :thumbsup_anim:

and live minnows (bought from a local bait seller who didn't provide a receipt).

not sure why this is such a bad thing...unless you were planning on returning them which I've never heard of anyone doing. These receipts just end up as more litter on the ice with the plastic bags and cardboard boxes people are kind enough too leave behind.

Fished it for quite a few years, and found you need to fish either weed edges or clearings in the weeds. Best is definitely before/at dark and on overcast days. Lost count of the jiggin raps lost to musky jiggin raps in the dang open on the sand flats......

I used for set lines those walleye rigs with the two hooks on snells stickin out with a weight on the bottom . Set it up so the line was straight down to the weight with about 6 inches of play on my tipup so when the walleye would hit and go sit on bottom it wouldn't feel any resistance. Walk over, gently lift the line and set the hook.

well thats to bad HH,maybe you should get a contour map of the bog,look for points,shoals,and weed flats,then go there and start drilling holes and checking things out,also maybe adjust your timming FIRST LIGHT & LAST LIGHT,and always stay at least 1hr. after dark,timming is everything,830am is bankers hours get there early...same as last light get there about 3pm...get all set up holes drilled and GET-ER-DONE....try that next time...hope this helps....good luck :thumbsup_anim:

Haha, I guess working for the bank for a couple of years way back when has rubbed a bit off.

FD, I was working off the angler atlas maps. Yeah, today was a bit late as I went to pick up bait which opens at 7 am thus, limiting me to the time. As for last year, I fished from 2:30 AM to 11:30 am and another to 4:30 pm without even a sniff. Maybe next time I'll just go from 2:30 PM to lets say 7pm? :dunno:

Is 4lb test flouro too heavy?

Stan

a receipt for minnows, like chuck swirsky says, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? i agree with rizzo, r u really gonna return minnows? i mean come on...

Rizzo and UA1990,

it was exactly for the reason BP mentioned, just trying to do my part in preventing the virus to spread. I've been checked for licenses before on Scugog in the past so just trying to cover all the points. ;)

Besides the left over minnows become salties.

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

You only need to fish scugog for 2 hours. The first hour of daylight and the last hour of daylight. All other times are a waste IMO.

Keep it simple out there.....a jighead with a minnow is all i ever use. Keep it light and jig it slow. The important thing is to be there when the fish bite.......first and last light. When the sun hits the treetops.....start jigging. An hour after dark....header home. You might get the odd one after dark, but nothing to get excited about. During the day.......forget it.....again.....you might just get lucky, but your just wasting your time if its light out.

Sinker

I feel your pain Stan, maybe it was those ribs :lol: . We had no luck again today. Chuck had a big whitie on before we got there, but lost it at the hole.

You'll get em next time. And I'm sure the wife will forgive you, one of these days :D

Joey

Edited by Joey

Yep ... I normally arrive at 4:00 pm to be set up for last hour of daylight ... if the bite is good I have seen another feeding time around 11:00 - midnght (after most have packed it in but it can get dodgy ut there cause the late night sled crew are racing around without nearly enough care for the 'pedestrian' make sure you always have a lantern and better yet reflective tape on your back .. they come up on ya at pretty high speeds.... had a few good nights after 11 pm time frame... first light is harder cause you really have to be set up an hour before first light to 'catch' the feeding window (and its quite short)... rest of the day IMHO is just a nice day on the ice

Try out by Goreski's (near the marker bouys) .. out the north end of the island ... over in front of Cesarea (or look for the 'village') .. the guys are pretty quick to move their huts to the producing areas ... and its hard to hide :)

I made it out both days this weekend and did really well....went out saturday moring and managed to catch 8 fish..all around 2 lbs.....kept 4 for dinner...went back out sunday morning and landed 5... kept 3...biggest being about 3.5 lbs..lost one at the hole pushing 6lb...woulda let it go anyway but would have been nice to get a good look at it...so far for me this year the BOG as been pretty good!

a receipt for minnows, like chuck swirsky says, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? i agree with rizzo, r u really gonna return minnows? i mean come on...

RAPTORS WIN RAPTORS WIN RAPTORS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry just had to say it, stuck in my head :dunno:

You only need to fish scugog for 2 hours. The first hour of daylight and the last hour of daylight. All other times are a waste IMO

Sinker

I would concur. Found success in deeper water off Ceaserea using jigging raps tipped with small minnows

at sunset in the past.

Found Quinte to be better choice for walleye despite extra half hour drive.

ehg

hey ehg, is Ceaserea right across from pine point? i usually hit pine point, and have gotten lucky a few times, its pretty shallow tho, u have to walk 2 km or soo to get to 10 feet, rest is 2-5, ever try here?

Ill let you in on a little secret. The whole damn lake is 2-5 feet deep.

People do well on Scugog, but you really have to know the lake well and find the spots (few) that arent 6 inches deep. lol

Ill let you in on a little secret. The whole damn lake is 2-5 feet deep.

People do well on Scugog, but you really have to know the lake well and find the spots (few) that arent 6 inches deep. lol

yea i know that its pretty shallow, and its man made, there are depths of 20 feet i think... just cant find them yet, lol...