Ice fishing "Must haves"

Cookslav

As a "newer" Ice fisherman I'm just curious what ya'll think are the must have items an angler should have.

Seriously...

I've been out maybe 3 times in my life with friends who live way the heck up north...

It was great fishing and a ton of fun but its to far to go frequently.

So now I find myself wanting to get out there for day trips

(I have a place on Belwood lake so I figure why not?)

I have a jigging rod, and some basic jigs, an 8" manual auger and a portable fish finder...thats bout it LOL.

I'm well rigged for soft water obviously, but this ice stuff is new to me.

educate me folks...please LOL!

about 90% of the time i leave to go fishin with just a pack sac i carry 4 spools of line with me a variety of size of hooks some splitshots a 6 or 8 inch hand bomber depending on what i go for some flagging tape a knife my gps a scoop (hand most of the time) use some willow branches for switches a small "oil candle" the things used to keep food warm at the halls and luncheons, a small tackle box with some grubs, jig heads , spoons and bait. not a whole lot pretty simple set up and good success most of the time.

hit the ice and bring a pen and paper make a list of the stuff u feel you may want to pick up and as long as you have the basics you'll be set. before you know it you'll be carrying more junk than u ever wished u had. trust me!

Matt!

....Been a while since I augered a hole through Belwood ice but the go to set was as follows....

Slip or clip float, large split shot, multi strand wire attached to a large single hook and a large lively shiner. Fished near the damn in the deepest water available, never failed. :thumbsup_anim:

I guess for lures it depends on what you are going after if its eyes my fav are rapala jigging minnows gold/black chart/white silver/black are a good place to start I always have 6 or more rods ready to go 2 with just gold/black and 2 with chart/white then two different colors if I am in a mood I may bring a couple more with different ones on them it sure makes for a better day when you dont need t ochange lyres and re tie. One way to get away from the retie is just have the other colors already tied onto a leader 2' floro 6lbs is what I also put a swivel on the other end have a snap on you main rod this way you can just clip your leader on and change fast.

As for other stuff I bring a cup to give the minnows fresh water minnow net, Scoop not a cheap one so you can clean your hole spud just in case ice picks if you are heading out on ice you have not gone before, my lantern comes out all the time as it gives ya some heat for the hands and I am usually on the ice before day light or after dark one thing I dont have but will be getting is cleats for the boots they are the cast arse my buddy has them and I watch him cruse across the ice when I am slipping my way out.

A few little things you may be reallly glad you have when you need them most ...

A whistle (reallllly hard to yell from freezing water - should be worn at all times.)

A 50' rope (1/4 inch nylon) - keep it near you ... and have a loop already tied at both ends...

Ice picks (wear them around your neck)

Ice Cleats

A big box of Kitty Litter (for the trunk of your car)

A small plastic sled (to drag you gear around)

Binoculars (so you can see how the guys wayyyyy up the lake are doing)

A flashlight (When it gets dark its really important that the skidoos can see you) - I like the headlamp because it keeps your hands free while you're walking and lasts for hours even in the cold

Clip on bells - so you can hear a hit on the line you are not looking at

Octopus hooks

Split shot

Minnows

electrical tape

glow-sticks (which can be taped to the end of your rod so you can 'see' a strike after dark... they last for hours

Lantern,fuel,mantles if you're out after dark ... and it'll help keep you warm

Spare socks and mitts (I put a pair in the plastic bag with my lines) .. alot more fun than freezing all day when you step into slush

Something to sit on (there's a reason folks use the white buckets) ... me I just sit on my cooler most of the time

A few little things you may be reallly glad you have when you need them most ...

A whistle (reallllly hard to yell from freezing water - should be worn at all times.)

A 50' rope (1/4 inch nylon) - keep it near you ... and have a loop already tied at both ends...

Ice picks (wear them around your neck)

Ice Cleats

A big box of Kitty Litter (for the trunk of your car)

A small plastic sled (to drag you gear around)

Binoculars (so you can see how the guys wayyyyy up the lake are doing)

A flashlight (When it gets dark its really important that the skidoos can see you) - I like the headlamp because it keeps your hands free while you're walking and lasts for hours even in the cold

Clip on bells - so you can hear a hit on the line you are not looking at

Octopus hooks

Split shot

Minnows

electrical tape

glow-sticks (which can be taped to the end of your rod so you can 'see' a strike after dark... they last for hours

Lantern,fuel,mantles if you're out after dark ... and it'll help keep you warm

Spare socks and mitts (I put a pair in the plastic bag with my lines) .. alot more fun than freezing all day when you step into slush

Something to sit on (there's a reason folks use the white buckets) ... me I just sit on my cooler most of the time

sounds to me like that small plastic sled is gonna have to be 10x4 to carry all that!

WOW,

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it!

BassAsin,

The Willow Branch, and ribbon was the method of choice my buds up north use, usualy smelt on the hook.

Pretty "robinson curuso" but effective LOL!

....Been a while since I augered a hole through Belwood ice but the go to set was as follows....

Slip or clip float, large split shot, multi strand wire attached to a large single hook and a large lively shiner. Fished near the damn in the deepest water available, never failed. thumbsup_anim.gif

Spiel,

Its funny that you say that....word on the lake is that very same technique.

I was curious about where to start, and thats where most people are pointing

But that also completely contradicts all my previous experiences up north where we predominantly fished in the shallows...

6' was were we'd nail 'em, anything deeper and the fish'n got quiet.

Thats what was confusing me more then anything...

I'll more then likely start deep and see what happens and move around if need be.

Guess I got nuthin but time to try out all of the above!

Thanks again guys!

Ps.

The binoculars is both a great idea but kinda creepy too LOL!!!!

Edited by Cookslav