General repair practices 150. NF

Bernie

Bernie is right here guys. I had the same issues with an 81 Ford that I drove about 3 minutes to work. There is no anti freeze mixing with oil here. Simply water with oil because of condensation. Happened every winter. Went away every spring.

Thank you Dan. :D

Well, since so many "Mechanics" want to know why there is so much water in the oil;

Well, in the course I just finished in failure analsys one of the questions on the test was "how much water is produced from burning 1 gal of gas in a standard internal combustion engine.

The answer: Approx. 1 gal of water. (I got 100% on that test)

If the engine can't get up to operating temperature the water can not becarried away by the exhaust system. So, to all you "mechanics" who think there "MUST" be some leak somewhere, sorry but I'll side with Bernie on this one.

For those that want to figure it out for yourselves; here is the formula 2C8H18 + 25O2 = 16CO2 + 18H2O

Had a block heater on my first Astro van and the diesel trucks at work, nice to go out in the morning unplug the heater and have warm air right now from the heater.

A bit cool here this morning -12f coldest since 94, but no mosquitos.

Air has moisture in it and engines suck, if the combustion is not complete or like Bernie says the engine isn`t run long enough to burn off the moisture, or evaporate moisture left in the engine when it is shut off?

Never had a problem like that, 25 miles had been a short drive to work.

Engine bearing are pretty cheap, but a project to do on a lot of cars, every time I did them was on a bare block.

I had to rebuild the tranny in my car last year because it was ruined by water.

My bud had the drive shaft for the oil pump in his f150 break because the motor was full of water and it froze but he hadn't drove it since he changed the oil pan a couple months before. We figured he had a funnel for the oil and another one in the rad and got them mixed up, ooops . But now that I think about it ,it was parked in the woods and a good candidate for condensation.

Guys, a great investment for the winter would be a Tempro ZeroStart coolant heater.

I use one on my TDI, and the glowplug light doesn't stay on for more then 2-3 seconds.

Alot better to warm the coolant, which then circulates *most* of the engine due to convection.

You can pick them up at Crappy Tire for around $50 or so.

Thanks for the lesson guys. Now the problem is that I need to get Barbara out of bed much earlier in the morning so that she can go out and start the car while I am getting ready for work. I'll let you know how it goes.......... :blink:

Well I did a check this AM,before even starting the ol girl up. The oil was a nice and clear,the cap had that milky residue. Now that, that was cool,I proceeded out for some bussiness and got friggen rear end today. By another ford. Thanks for the STEEL bumper ford. Poor buggers plastic front end was all shattered. Not his fault. The roads were pretty crap. We went on our way,as to save the inssurance crap. 150 bucks for a bumper at the scrap yard for me,a few hundred for the plastic on his.

But boy, the neck does hurt.

WTG ON THE 100% Cliff.

Edited by misfish

Better remove that Brian before fishinautographs arrests you by PM for leaving the scene! lol

Bet that plastic front end costs over $1500

When I stopped that rampaging drunk in midland with my back bumper the repair for new bumper, bumper cover and install was $1663 !

Edited by irishfield

Never left the scene Wayne. Just got off the iciy hill before we got hit again.

We both had winter fault insurance. LOL

We exchanged info,but signed to take care of our own repairs. Yes there are many that would of taken the low road and went for the custo,but hey,crap happens. if it was a 2009 yeah,but hey,I was on my way to pay for the hall. ;):D

The ol 97 150 is starting to look like a 97 now. Theres no bush or trail that will keep us away now. HAHAHAHA

they do make them for manual shift, but for the same reason I don't have it on my car is no remote start is easier than replacing cables :wallbash:

It aint the cables,it the dang adjuster bar.They have to be removed and lubed.It,s just dang cold to get this done right now.

.. "how much water is produced from burning 1 gal of gas in a standard internal combustion engine.

If the engine can't get up to operating temperature the water can not becarried away by the exhaust system. ..

That makes sense, because when the vehicle is cold, there is a lot of white exhaust coming out of the tailpipe, but as you continue driving, and the engine gets "up to temperature", that white fog coming out of the tailpipe disappears. That must be the point where all the water and humidity has been burned off.