ICE FISHING PROBLEM!!!! :S

profisher25

Heres the thing, I am planning on going ice fishing very soon, i would say within the next 2 weeks, i don't have an auger, and i cant borrow my grandfathers axe, cause i don't think i will be seeing him any time soon!

Do I have any other, and possibly easier options?

Any help / recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced! :)

call around at home hardware, canadian tire, wal mart or any other hardware store they have chisel's for sale for as low as 20 bux takes a couple minutes to get through 16 inches of ice but start your hole as about a 6 inch and it will end at about and 8 always give yourself a couple extra inches and as for an axe the top of your hole has to be about 2 feet to get a 6 inch hole at the bottom and you WILL get wet its a guarantee.

short of the obvious ( buying an auger or spud bar!) and presumeing you aren;t going with some one who has one . Your options are somewhat limited.

If you are going to a busy area ( ie Cooks bay) and on a busy day ( weekend) and the weather isn't so freakin cold you could hope to find some open ( not froze shut) holes.

Or try and see if a freindly fellow fisherperson on the ice would let you borrow thiers

last two are kinda risky

Or try hooking up with a fellow OFNr , you got two weeks to plan it.

TB

Up until recently I did not have my own auger and always had to fish with someone who did have one. I did have a spud bar but you certainly don't want to be beating your way through the ice if you aren't certain it's fairly thick. You may be asking for trouble if you are standing on thin ice as you bash a hole through it. It's true, that if you go to Cook's bay or anywhere really popular, you should be able to scavenge some hold from ppl as they abandon them. At worst you will need to break the thin layer of ice that forms on top. You really do need to just get an auger or borrow one from someone who isn't using theirs. Or better yet, find someone to go along with you.. as long as they bring their auger.

Edited by Beats

When I was a kid, all we used was a hatchet...With all the sub-zero temps of late that might be a chore chopping a new hole but it would come in handy to open up a fairly new abandoned hole...

One trip we forgot the auger at home and had a hut operator cut us a couple of holes for $5...

Edited by Beans

What does "Leran to Live " mean???

"Learn to Live".. to be honest, i came up with it a while ago, just popped up in my head... what does it mean?... well.. Learn to live.. live the life of adventure, go places, do stuff... us anglers all have one thing in common.. fishing.. we all love it! :P and to us.. fishing is a part of our life.. or at least to the most devoted anglers out there! :lol: Us anglers learn to live, and we live to fish! .. if that doesn't make any sense, then i have no idea what will, lol :P

"Learn to Live".. to be honest, i came up with it a while ago, just popped up in my head... what does it mean?... well.. Learn to live.. live the life of adventure, go places, do stuff... us anglers all have one thing in common.. fishing.. we all love it! :P and to us.. fishing is a part of our life.. or at least to the most devoted anglers out there! :lol: Us anglers learn to live, and we live to fish! .. if that doesn't make any sense, then i have no idea what will, lol :P

i think what TJ was pointing out was learn spelt LERAN the mistake i think he knows what living is by the sounds of the way people on here talk hes been doing it for some time now :whistling: just teasin ya a bit TJ.

The LAST time (and I do mean THE LAST TIME) I loaned my auger, about 10 minutes later the guy brings it back over . . . "Gee . . . this thing just doesn't seem to cut into the ice . . . . ?" He was right . . . gollee e e e e . . . . I guess I musta wore it out cutting about 6 holes a half hour before? Lesson learned . ... if ya wanna fish, don't expect others to finance your excursion, eh? Get the proper equipment . . . . then go fishing? About $60.00 will get you a decent auger!

I agree, I would have a hard time loaning out my auger. Heck I would even have a hard time asking to borrow one from another group. I say bite the bullet and spend the $60 for a brand new one at CT. Its an investment that will last you as long as you want provided you take care of it. Oil it down when not in use for a while and change the blades every few years (depending on usage) and your set. Student or not, don't be cheap. I was in the same boat a couple years ago, and I could always justify fishing purchases, because they were "long term" investments, and it would inevitably save me money at the grocery store, provided you like to eat fish.

I'd never loan you my auger, but I'd drill you a couple holes if you asked me nicely out on the ice.

I don't loan my auger to anyone but people I know, know how to use it.

If you want to ice fish, the first thing you need is a hole in the ice. So, you need an auger!!!

Sinker