Gorgeous Steelhead Net

solopaddler

For practically my entire life I've always wanted something but could never justify it's purchase: A handmade wooden steelhead net. There's plenty of occasions where beaching a fish is just not feasable and a net is needed though.

Functionally a cheap aluminum version will work just as well, hence my 30 year hesitation.

I finally took the plunge a while back contacting Lloyd Hautajarvi, an amazing craftsman who lives in northern Minnesota near the banks of the Brule river.

The presentation quality net he built for me is in fact his "Brule" model.

Made with a truly incredible marbled black ash, it's an absolute work of art!

Check it out, and for those that truly appreciate a fine piece of wood check out the burl on this baby, it's unreal:

Landingnet1.jpg

Landingnet2.jpg

Landingnet4.jpg

It wasn't needed, but it sure is purty, and it'll look great in my steelhead pic's :) .

that is definatley a gorgeous net! i made several in shop class in gr. 12 for auction for the shop course to profit, they were all made of white ash and cocabola wood very simple to make until you try to get the mesh on the darn frame!!!!

congrats on the new net knowing you i can picture many shots of gorgeous steel laying beside it!

Matt

Very nice ! Consider it an appreciating asset .... that you will enjoy and appreciate EVERY time you use ... if thats not what life is all about then I dont know what is !!!

And if she makes you get rid of it, just send it over this way (I'll take real good care of it for you till she sees the light )