Friday Simcoe report

johnnyb

Since my lovely wife and I had the day off today, we decided that a few hours on the ice would be a good idea. I’ve been wanting to try Simcoe for some whitefish and lake trout, and had heard that there was walkable ice at Bear Point, and Big Bay Point. Having missed the turn to the public access at Bear Point, we ended up at Big Bay. Weather-wise, we couldn’t have picked a better day to hit the ice. Cold, crisp, and absolutely ZERO wind…we were carefully walking toward a cluster of portable huts and open air hardwater anglers by 10:00am, on 4-6 inches of newly formed black ice.

n595006200_2341349_7718.jpg

By 11:00 am, everyone turned to watch two guys come out on their atv’s….and then watch one break through. :wallbash: No pics of it going in…camera was in the other direction, and I was on the run with the other folks in the area to head over and see if the driver needed help. Luckily, he hopped off without getting too wet….couldn’t say the same for his quad though. More on this later.

Headed back over to the hole, where I had a silver Williams Whitefish with a patch of green prism tape on it resting on bottom, just shy of the 100 FOW mark.

Thanks to a recent thread about how to use these particular spoons properly, I was snapping it off bottom and pausing it alternately, when something stopped it – my first whitie!!! 21 inches…not too shabby! :thumbsup_anim:

n595006200_2341353_9004.jpg

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful….even though Laker Jessy wasn’t hauling fish in like usual, she was seeing all kinds of them on the Aqua-Vu.

n595006200_2341351_8341.jpg

It sure was nice of her to let me catch up on the fish count…even though I only narrowed the gap by one. :whistling:

By the time we left, at around 2:30pm, we had bumped into a fellow OFC’er…Rick_Ont. Thanks again for the great tips on jigs today, Rick! :canadian: See…there he is!

n595006200_2341358_610.jpg

The ATV guys had also built themselves a pretty nifty tripod and were bringing their quad back from what was almost a watery grave.

n595006200_2341354_9323.jpg

Good job guys – hopefully the next outing you can focus on catching fish, not four-wheelers! <_<

n595006200_2341357_285.jpg

And that’s it…can’t wait to get back out there….I’m definitely hooked on the Simcoe whitefish. See you out there! :Gonefishing:

Yup -- quad floated thanks to the tires....the other quad stayed out there after they did a thorough check of all the ice around them. Mind you, I didn't stick around for the ultimate moment of truth....but I'm assuming they got it out okay...seemed like they knew what they were doing.

Oh! Forgot to mention the 3 guys who were at least a mile out into the main lake...they were back at their car the same time we were....they hopped two pressure cracks and were breaking through the ice with one shot of their spud bar...but apparently this was worth the pile of trout and whities that they caught. :huh:

Forgot to mention the 3 guys who were at least a mile out into the main lake...they were back at their car the same time we were....they hopped two pressure cracks and were breaking through the ice with one shot of their spud bar...but apparently this was worth the pile of trout and whities that they caught. :huh:

One of them talk a lot and named Andy... other James... :dunno::D

Nice report!

I bet the guy on the quad is wishing he wasn't so lazy today. I guess the 10 min walk would have killed him??

I dunno, some people aren't so bright these days!!!

thanks for the report, and congrats on your first whitie!

Sinker

Hi JohnnyB

Great to meet you and Jessie out there yesterday afternoon!! and Really neat watching the Whities and Lakers on Jessie's Aqua View!!!

Pretty amazing How Clear it was, They are cruising around down there!!!

Rick