GMC Canyon Crew or Dodge Dakota

Mattones

I have narrowed myself down to either buying a GMC Canyon Crew Cab or the Dodge Dakota. 2006 or newer, Hope to buy one by Feb in CASH. My insurance will be high so I would rather pay for it all upfront insted of paying for it monthy plus a high insurance rate,

This will be my first pickup so i'm pretty thrilled. Iv test drove the Dodge and liked it but recently came across the Canyon at the mall and liked it alot more by just looking at it. Hope to test drive one sometime soon.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these trucks?

Don't know first hand about either truck but before you go used look into brand new ones. Sure it might be a couple more bucks but they are going cheap right now and 0% financing for everyone!

and if smart at 0% you would be better off to go month by month becasue if u can afford up front u can make some interest money off of the money in the bank at 0%

and yes i do own a dakota it is a pig on fuel and can be quite a problem to work on if you do your own repairs the canyon or colorado (chev/GMC) are much better for both reason a buddy of mine has one and is easy to work on and much much better on fuel!

Exactly wiser.. Mattones if you've got the dough... put it in something guaranteed... like a 4.5% GIC or even a monthly GIC/high interest account etc and don't touch it. Let GMC/Chrysler loan you the money at ZERO cost. What you make on the GIC will cover part of your insurance even when all is said and done.

Darn near every car dealership has last years models offered at Zero.. and even this years in some cases are as low as 0.9 %... and that's on top of the sale price being down by about 30% on many. Have seen many truck ads for example... list $36,000.. sale $24,000

Thanks for the link buster !!!...well a bud of mine has 05 dakota,and he is getting rid of it,as the commute from peterbourough to whitby is killing him,in fuel costa,and he has had several major things go wrong with the truck,and had to take it in to the dealer like 4-5 times for a bad steering rack ??? and its still not fixed,so he has had gm trucks in the past and will be getting another one according to him !!!! just my 2 cents...cheers

if you got money to buy a car outright put into investments where that money will grow , cars depreciate too damn fast

i have been leasing my car for over a year now and its been the best thing ive ever done. cheap monthly payments and the lease is as long as the warranty. so its a no brainer.

Edited by Micropterus hole

I have a 2008 GMC Canyon. Like a dumb :asshat: , I paid a LOT more for it in April, then I would've now.

Oh well, what can ya do. After all the crap I've driven for so long, it's just nice to know I 'probably' won't break down on the way to the lake.

CanadaDay08010Small.jpg

LabourDayweekend022Small.jpg

Here's what I have.

I have the extended cab 4X4. It's got the engine upgrade to the 3.7L inline 5, 242 horsies under the hood. Plenty of power. Tow package as well.

I tried to base out the options as best I could. Ghetto style windows & locks.... :whistling:

At 5100 kms, the tweeder in the pass. door crapped out. I guess Slayer on 10 isn't recommended.

When I took it in, I found out that GM doesn't actually 'do' anything with the entertainment system, they contract it out. They gave me a loaner to get to work & this other company is mobile & comes to the dealership to do the work.

While we were getting it logged into the system, something on buddy's monitor caught my eye. Something about a recall. Turns out the CD player has a tendancy to keep running long after I've shut it off, causing your battery to be drained. Now, it didn't happen to me, but since it was a software issue, I could get it done at the same time. Cool.

Now, this week, at the 16400 kms mark, I had to get a headlight bulb replaced. If I'm not mistaken, I think they're almost $80 a pop.... <_<

Warranty.

Anyways, I still really like it. I've never driven a Dodge (pushed a few though!) but I think you'll find you'll like the GMC. In my research, I found that Dakota's have ball joint issues, religiously. Once my other loan's paid off, I'm putting a cap on the bed. It'll be perfect for me then...

thanks08030Small.jpg

HERE'S MINE

3333.jpg

Ok, i got it stuck...but should not have backed into the water so much...especially with 'all season' tires. Mind you it got back up a steep 1km mud track with my 16' boat and trailer.

I bought the 2007 Canyon SLE (Off - Road) 4 X 4 crew cab.....i love it. Does 31 miles Highway...pretty good, sucks on gas in town though. Inside is a bit plastic, not very plush finish.

Everyone who has been in it does not have a bad word to say either really..

I cant really say much more than that as i have never driven the Dodge. But the straight 5 cylinder has tons of power, ive had a snowmachine in the box, and one on a trailer at the same time....got down many logging roads like that last winter no problems....was like there was nothing there.

Its a bit slidy as its so light, wish i had got the hard tonneau cover to add weight to the back, but now with studded winter tires it handles like a dream on the snow and ice when in 4 wheel drive.

Tires are not a standard size apparently. They are 15", which means when i went to put on the winter tires, it was difficult to get hold of 15"rims....other than going to GMC $$$$$$$$$, so just put the winter tires on the existing factory fitted rims.

The passenger seats are a bit hard, but lots of room in the back. Took my mum and dad from Toronto , through Michigan and upto Dryden NW Ontario...a 1800km trip, they're old and rickety but had no complaints :D .

Iv'e put her through some stuff( as the pic shows) and no problems so far.

I aint gonna say what i paid....lol...makes me wince even now....especially since they are probably giving them away now....if only i waited 18 months!!!!!

Got 0% finance, 5 year or 150,000, 3 years of that is bumper to bumper warranty....just hope they dont go under and i lose the warranty.

Hope this helps......

Here's a few more pics of my baby in action

a1.jpg

137.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9-1.jpg

132-1.jpg

Im going to have to tell you go with a dodge, I have a dodge ram daytona and couldn't be happier my hemi hauls ass down the road and gets me out of every sticky situation with the 4x4, as for the dakota, the new ones are very nice and look great, the 4.7 is a much more improved motor now then it was back in 2000, id say upgrade to a ram especially since the prices are so low on them now and the new ones are amazing, I wish I bought mine now instead of last yr I paid a hell of alot more then I would now but oh well its a daytona and hold a bit higher value compared to stocker, either way go Dodge, and remember IF YOU CAN"T DODGE IT, RAM IT!!!

Easiest answer to your question: Buy the one you like the most...you'll get unending opinions on which one is better, because, they're both great trucks! Drive 'em both, back to back if possible, and go with the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. The last thing you want to do is pick one because it got more "votes", then always regret your choice whenever you see the "other" one drive past

And I am typing this from my desk at the Dodge dealership...so if you really want my vote.... :D

Easiest answer to your question: Buy the one you like the most...you'll get unending opinions on which one is better, because, they're both great trucks! Drive 'em both, back to back if possible, and go with the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. The last thing you want to do is pick one because it got more "votes", then always regret your choice whenever you see the "other" one drive past

And I am typing this from my desk at the Dodge dealership...so if you really want my vote.... :D

so if your at the dealership right now what is the price on a starter for a 92' dakota 3.9 6 cyl? lol