Carp on sale at Grocery Store

Clampet

Anywho, I've tried it smoked, fried, baked.. never could stand the stuff!

Rich, next time when you go to a Jap. restaurant, try ordering the Unagi (what Stan suggested) ... you can either get them in a shusi or you can eat it with rice like terriyaki chicken but it's eel instead of chicken ... it's one of my favourite plates to order when i do visit a jap restaurant.

Rich, next time when you go to a Jap. restaurant, try ordering the Unagi (what Stan suggested) ... you can either get them in a shusi or you can eat it with rice like terriyaki chicken but it's eel instead of chicken ... it's one of my favourite plates to order when i do visit a jap restaurant.

Can't say I've ever been to a Japanese restaraunt but if I ever do I will try it!

this past june/july i was in kitchener for school and i tried my luck down on the grand between kitchener and cambridge, i caught a 15lb carp and i thought it was nasty so i went to go put it back and these chinese ppl thought i was nuts and they asked if they could have it for their family so i said sure take it. probably fed the whole family so its all good to keep the kids from going hungry.

Holdfast

The news paper article is the Toronto Star and the No Frills grocery store is in the GTA so I don't think you have any worries out in North Battleford Saskatchewan. ;)

I have had smoked eel before and it's good. As far as exotic stuff available in our grocery stores, I think carp is pretty mundane. Anybody see or hear of any real strange stuff?

Holdfast

The news paper article is the Toronto Star and the No Frills grocery store is in the GTA so I don't think you have any worries out in North Battleford Saskatchewan. ;)

I have had smoked eel before and it's good. As far as exotic stuff available in our grocery stores, I think carp is pretty mundane. Anybody see or hear of any real strange stuff?

Carp is an Invasive species. No telling where they could end up. Yes we don't have to worry up here yet, because they don't have aquariums up here to sell them live. Maybe in Vancouver but not here so far. Fingers are crossed because the fishing has been great so far. Only wished there was Bass. Thanks for caring though.

Numbers are in decline because every eel in the world spawns in the same spot. Some swim north, some swim south, some immediately enter ports to the west. The Chinese were harvesting the eels from this spawning area every year. You keep killing off the breeding hole every year and well.. bye bye eels.

The spawning grounds for the two species are in an overlapping area of the southern Sargasso Sea, with A. rostrata apparently being more westward than A. anguilla, and with some some spawning by the American eel possibly even occurring off the Yucatan Peninsuala outside of the Gulf of Mexico, but this has not been confirmed. After spawning in the Sargasso Sea and moving to the west, the leptocephali of the American eel exit the Gulf Stream earlier than the European eel and begin migrating into the estuaries along the east coast of North America between February and late April at an age of about one year and a length of about 60 mm.

From your article..?

... and if you'd read a little further down the page you'd have found this:

Decline of the glasseels

Glasseel

No one yet knows the reasons, but beginning in the mid-1980s, glasseel arrival in the spring dropped drastically — in Germany to 10% and in France to 14% of their previous levels — from even conservative estimates. Data from Maine and other North American coasts showed similar declines, although not as drastic.

In 1997 European demand for eels could not be met for the first time ever, and dealers from Asia bought all they could. The traditional European stocking programs could not compete any longer: each week the price for a kilogram of glasseel went up another US$30. Even before the 1997 generation hit the coasts of Europe, dealers from China alone placed advance orders for more than 250,000 kg, some bidding more than $1,100 per kg. Asian elvers have sold in Hong Kong for as much as $5,000 to $6,000 a kilogram at times when $1,000 would buy the same amount of American glasseels with gunfights at their catching sites. Such a kilogram, consisting of 5000 glasseels, may bring at least $60,000 and as much as $150,000 after they leave an Asian fish farm. In New Jersey over 2000 licences for glasseel catch were issued and reports of 38 kg per night and fisherman have been made, although the average catch is closer to 1 kg.

The demand for adult eels has continued to grow, as of 2003[update]. Germany imported more than $50 million worth of eels in 2002. In Europe 25 million kg are consumed each year, but in Japan alone more than 100 million kg were consumed in 1996. As the European eels become less available, worldwide interest in American eels has increased dramatically.

New high-tech eel aquaculture plants are appearing in Asia with detrimental effects on the native Japanese eel, Anguilla japonica. Traditional eel aquaculture operations rely on wild-caught elvers, but experimental hormone treatments in Japan have led to artificially spawned eels. Eggs from these treated eels have a diameter of about 1 mm, and each female can produce 2 to 10 million eggs

You blame the Chinese solely for the decline and that's just isn't true!

Your bias may be considered offensive to some readers on this board.

Edited by GCD

Reminds me of the old joke 'bout the guy in the restaurant who said he didn't want to order the beef tounge cuz he wasn't gonna eat anything that came out of a cow's mouth. When the waitress asked him what he did want, he ordered eggs.

lol

Edited by Mike Pike

I'd rather eat a bucket of maggots than your lamprey! :P

http://image10.webshots.com/11/3/96/81/206...05YQsHHN_ph.jpg

Do you eat the red ones last?

My lamprey! Jeez, thanks there.

I think you would be much more likely to get a really horrific disease from eating maggots as opposed to lamprey. Maybe Danbo you could do a test and post the results.

Edited by hammercarp

I dont even know what a glasseel is.. I was talking about American eels.

So was I.

Glasseel is the larval stage of the American and European Eel while it is still in the ocean before it reaches it's freshwater estuaries, then it starts taking on color once it reaches freshwater and becomes a juvenile eel or Elver. When the Elvers grow up and reach sexual maturity, they swim back into the ocean and take on a silvery color and are called Silver Eels.... but they are all the American or European eel.

Edited by GCD