Steelheading Is A Game Of Timing

solopaddler

I've said it before, but really steelhead are easy fish to catch, success or lack thereof is a direct result of timing.

Conditions looked prime for a particular trib midweek. Rain and snowmelt had blown it out on Monday morning. Warm temps, a dropping clearing river, along with a run of (mostly) fresh fish made for perfect conditions on Wednesday.

I made the long 3 hour drive out there with an old friend and we weren't dissapointed.

Most fish were caught on quarter sized roe bags of fresh uncured skein tied in a variety of different colours.

Because of the aggressive nature of the fish finesse wasn't required. 5 and 6lb Ultragreen for tippet and larger than normal hooks aided in landing these surprisingly spunky fish.

There are no pic's of my buddy Al or his fish because unfortunately he's camera shy. :)

No matter as I managed to snap a few shots of my fish. It was a VERY good day. The numbers we put on the bank were amazing really.

ElkDec2008003.jpg

ElkDec2008005.jpg

ElkDec2008008.jpg

ElkDec2008010.jpg

Here's a pic of what not to do LOL! This guy was wading pretty much exactly where I was hitting fish 5 minutes previously.

He edged closer and closer 'till finally he greased me out :P . (No worries there were plenty of fish elsewhere).

ElkDec2008011.jpg

ElkDec2008012.jpg

ElkDec2008014.jpg

ElkDec2008017.jpg

ElkDec2008015.jpg

It's a truly beautiful river, especially when there's a dusting of snow.

ElkDec2008018.jpg

ElkDec2008019.jpg

ElkDec2008020.jpg

ElkDec2008014.jpg

ElkDec2008021.jpg

ElkDec2008023.jpg

ElkDec2008024.jpg

ElkDec2008026.jpg

ElkDec2008027.jpg

ElkDec2008028.jpg

ElkDec2008022.jpg

Day two was pretty much the polar opposite of Wednesday, not such a great day. Because of Wednesdays warm temps along with a smattering of rain, the river was pretty much blown out on Thursday morning.

No big deal to me really, it's just part of the game.

What made it hurt was my two companions on the day were two fellow OFC'rs, silvio and JDMLS. (Silvio and Dave).

Being the first time we've met or fished together I really wanted to put the lads onto fish. Unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be.

The river was still barely fishable when we arrived Thursday morning and my optimism rose when I quickly hit this spunky guy:

ElkDec2008030.jpg

Dave followed up with a couple of his own. First fish was floundering around Dave's feet and managed to escape before I could snap a pic.

Did manage this blurry action shot though:

ElkDec2008032.jpg

Silvio tailed the second one:

ElkDec2008034.jpg

After that I figured we'd better hop in the truck and try to find greener (clearer) pastures.

Man did I drive! And drive, and drive, and drive....LOL!

Every single trib we checked out over a hundred miles of shoreline was blown.

A bit disheartening to say the least.

Finally I decided to push on and drive to another trib a good 11/2 hours to the west. (No one can say I'm not determined! :) ).

We arrived around 2ish and hustled down the hill to the river to find seemingly perfect conditions. Yes!

It appeared as though the fish gods were ignoring us though :P . The fishing was slooow!

I hit one fish low down which quickly managed to shake my hook, then finally landed this guy at the 11th hour swinging a white jig along a sweet little seam a bit upstream:

ElkDec2008036.jpg

Unfortunately nothing for the boys.

Still, I'm sure the guys will agree it wasn't a wasted trip.

Silvio is as nice a young man as I've ever met. Very respectful and a keenly avid angler, he's a pleasure to fish with.

Same deal with Dave. He's as cool as a cucumber, as laid back as they come. Great guy to fish with!

Nice meeting you guys, I'm sure we'll do better next time. (The fish gods owe us one I think :) ).

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Mike is the fishiest dude I've ever met, and I've met a few characters. If there is a trout in that stream, Mike is all over it like a fat kid on a twinkie.

Congrats to Solopaddler, and the lucky guys that just got a clinic. Well done.

Hey Mike I want to thank you for the day out, your as nice of a guy as they come. I really enjoyed my self and cant wait for the day we hit it again. I must say that phone call I got today scared me I thought I was going to get a "should have been their today Sil hahahaha we crushed them" But instead I basically was told I might get bum raped when my bill comes for my blank lol. All in all thanks bud nice way to bring the year to a winding end. well try to do this again when we get the chance. Thanks bud

:lol:

who's the decrepit old git with cotton in his ear? :D

ElkDec2008030.jpg

Glad you gents got into some fish. Too bad the Ontario boys couldn't be part of the Wednesday festivities, but that's the way the gods go: they are whimsical at best.

:clapping:

Many more opportunities await...

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Mike is the fishiest dude I've ever met, and I've met a few characters. If there is a trout in that stream, Mike is all over it like a fat kid on a twinkie.

Congrats to Solopaddler, and the lucky guys that just got a clinic. Well done.

C'mon Doug, "Like a fat kid on a twinkie"? :P

More like "A bum on a baloney sandwich"

Thanks, for the incredible day man....Spending probably 7-8 hours on the road just shoot'n the breeze and listening to all those jaw dropping stories was worth the trip alone .... Dude, you've got more stories than Robert Munch, LOL .... I'm still trying to process all the info you threw at me that day. I can't get over how much ground we covered, and how many rivers we stopped at !! You bring a whole new meaning to the word "determination" my friend.

Mike your as top notch as they come, and to say the least a true "steelheading icon" in my books, as well as a stellar host I might add .... Thanks again for the awesome experience. I agree with you, that we have to make a 2 day trip out of that kind of expedition next time around.

That first river is etched in my head... I can't get over the tactics the locals are into on that trib. Just blows my mind. Can't wait to give it a wirl on my local haunts ...I can already see the looks from the regulars :blink:

Here's the one pic I found on my camera.... I had that stupid smile on my face all day long :D

P1020562.jpg

"Steelheading is a game of timing"

Yeah, just time it so you're not on the water when me or the Urban Fisherman are around and you'll be good. lol

lol - yeah Rich and I hit a local trib this morning - he had a 10lber at his feet and lost it, I got 1 decent hit all morning - it's just not meant to be for us, but you guys keep us going with reports like this!

Thanks for the fix guys...

On a side note, I'm curious to know if you have any feeling left in your finger tips Solo? Or are they just permanently numb? :blink:

Cheers

On a side note, I'm curious to know if you have any feeling left in your finger tips Solo? Or are they just permanently numb? :blink:

:) i think Solo is the only guy who is never cold while fishing since most of the time he is constantly moving and reeling in the fish, not like the rest of us waiting for the float to go down.

Eiher way its great to have a guy like Solo on this board. Keep it up the good reports.

lol - yeah Rich and I hit a local trib this morning - he had a 10lber at his feet and lost it, I got 1 decent hit all morning - it's just not meant to be for us, but you guys keep us going with reports like this!

Thanks for the fix guys...

Cheers

You guys are tougher than me. NO WAY would you find me out in that cold, my fingers are particularly sensitive. :P

I've said it before, but really steelhead are easy fish to catch, success or lack thereof is a direct result of timing.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

The less time I am at work and the more time I get on the river(s), the easier it gets..... paying attention to weather/ wind patterns and river levels can be real helpful too.

I had though I replied to this one, but apparently my post button failed.

Wicked fishin guys, as usual!

hey, that doesnt look like the oshawa creek :dunno:

I think that an OFC slays a US trib day needs to get cooked up.

Whos with me?