Nice Buck down NF

Jay T

Well my dad, bro and I went out for the afternoon hunt, I got set up lit a smoke and not even 10 min later a doe pops out. I put the smoke out and just watch her to see if she lures out some bucks, another 10 min later a 8 pointer and big 10 pointer comes towards the doe. I range the buck at 80 yrds wait for him to stop and turn broadside, put the crosshairs on him and let hang, once the smoke clears I see my PB buck on the ground :thumbsup_anim: he didn't move one step. After telling the others on the radio that he is down, I sit tight and have a smoke and calm down. 10 min later my old man says there is a big on in the field working his way to me, so we all wait and it took 15 min or so to make his way over to my dad he was 110 yrds and dropped him in his tracks too. It was an awesome night with me and my dad getting our both PB within half an hour of each other. My bro got a 5 pointer yesturday too, so we are all done.

Well here is a pic of mine, he was taken with a CVA Muzzleloader 100gr of powder and 300gr bullet.

He weighed 220lbs on the hoof and has 11 points.

My_deer.JPG

great looking buck. you can tell its muzzleloading season when hunters can get away with lightin up a smoke!! I tried that bowhunting once and was winded pretty fast. I ate the tenderloins of the buck hanging in my garage last night and they were oh so tastey. Its good to hear you and your dad dropped bucks on the same night, my old man doesnt even hunt, so i dont get that oppertunity.

cheers

mike

Nice buck, great rack on him. Congrats on your hunt. 300gr bullet... I'm not surprised he piled right up where he stood. lol.

You hang em for 2 weeks eh!?! I was told 3-4 days is good. Not being critical, just wondering why you hang them so long? What does it do to the meat the longer they hang?

Hanging the deer for longer then 3-4 days is usually a good idea due to the chemical breakdown in the meat, the longer it is left to hang, the longer the meat has to breakdown and tenderize itself.. Im butchering my deer this weekend, and ate the tender loins last night after hanging for a week and they were perfect.

Hanging the deer for longer then 3-4 days is usually a good idea due to the chemical breakdown in the meat, the longer it is left to hang, the longer the meat has to breakdown and tenderize itself.. Im butchering my deer this weekend, and ate the tender loins last night after hanging for a week and they were perfect.

Not being a hunter (or knowing anything about deer other than it tastes great) why is it that the meat doesnt spoil if it is left to hang for weeks.

I know if I left my pickeral in the garage for two weeks...well it would be messy

red meat needs time to age, and when done in correct conditions and temperature, it can age for weeks without spoiling. Unlike fish, which starts to smells if left in a fridge for more then a couple days. Other then letter the blood drain and let the meat chemically break down enzymes, im out of answers.

mike

red meat needs time to age, and when done in correct conditions and temperature, it can age for weeks without spoiling. Unlike fish, which starts to smells if left in a fridge for more then a couple days. Other then letter the blood drain and let the meat chemically break down enzymes, im out of answers.

mike

Exactly Mike. With the temps outside right now it is perfect to hang a deer for the two weeks in my garage, but if it warms up at all it will be taken to the butcher. I have always hung my deer for a minimum of 10 days, and it melts in your mouth.

Thanks to all that have replied, it was a great hunt and will not be forgotten.

Now time for me to get back to work to pay for the taxidermist.