The BOQ skunk... (Sat Nov 29th)

ccmtcanada

FnS winterized his boat last weekend, and he was beginning to think maybe it was a week too soon. I got a PM from him asking if I was interested in maybe hitting BOQ in my little 14 ft tinny. I was up for it, as long as the weather/wind could cooperate! By the time Friday came, the forecast for Picton looked prime, so Friday night we firmed up plans.

By the time Saturday morning came, the forecast said calm winds til about 10am, then gradually increasing throughout the day to 25kph. We'd stay close to where we launched as we both know how fast conditions can change out there.

We got on the water around 9am, to see sections in the Picton area that had a skim of ice over it!! Here's a pic as we headed out. You can see the ice....and some cool reflections of the sky above in the water.

01reflections.jpg

We decided to keep the trolling up to the cement plant and back...as we headed out, I looked back and noticed this army of trolling boats following us out there!! Kind of hard to see here, but I counted around 10 boats following....LOL

02armyoftrolers.jpg

Most of the day was overcast, and the winds never did kick up higher than 10kph, so my little boat handled the water perfectly. This is about the choppiest it got while we were out there. Again, maybe hard to see, but there are 8 other boats in this picture!

04morearmy.jpg

We were marking bait balls with larger fish surrounding them all morning long, so we had high hopes of catching a few fish...unfortunately, the fish had a different plan! Using planer boards, we trolled and trolled...trying a variety of lures. We started out trolling at around 2mph, and then used the drift sock to slow us down to around 1.3 to 1.5 mph.

The sun came back out near the end of the day...we decided to head back to the launch around 3pm...

03will.jpg

Hard day for fishing, but had a great time out there with FnS as usual! So, the last two times I've fished there, I've come up with the big zero! I'll have to give it a try again next year....and if I get desperate, I may even try to bring a few up through the ice....but I'm not betting on that...LOL

you should have been there on the 15th...the fishing was great....LOL....sorry

wish I had the ambition to get out .....

LOL Terry...we were talking about all the great reports that had been coming out over the past few weeks...it's why we even bothered heading there!!!

Didn't really matter...had a great time anyways...

Translation "It was an honour just being nominated...." LOL.

Edited by ccmt

Were you marking anything CCMT?

That picture of the 10 boats was cool, looked like an invasion force....were they all in the same group or something?

forrest

Yep...marked bait balls with lots of bigger fish....

Also, every 2 minutes or so, we'd see larger returns on the fish finder in the 15 to 25 foot mark....

That's what I thought of too...an invasion force...was going to turn around and troll back but decided not to try to 'break thru the lines'....LOL

Nice report Cliff. Really cool water pics BTW...shame about the 10 or so stalkers out with ya....lol.

I cant believe you dont like ice fishing! I have seen so many reports now of BOQ icefishing...i would be out there everyday....lol.

I bet ya 35 cents you go ice fishing this year!

I get skunked a lot...I just don't always report on them...LOL.

I'm guilty of that too :rolleyes:

Well Cliff you went and you tried fishing Quinte you have a fifty fifty chance of catching fish.

When Walters shut down not much you can do.It can take as much as 3 days before the bite is back on.

Just look at our G2G last year very few fish being caught this year was pretty good.

Even Headhunter managed a red striped walleye :whistling:

Good luck on the next outing and I know that will be soon.

MTP

Too bad about the skunk cliff, :unsure::glare: at least it was a nice day out there !!!!. :canadian: ..hey dont give up yet,do another trip or two,sooner or later it will happen !!! nice pictures of the fishing fleet behind you....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thanks Shawn...FnS and I talked about you while we were out there and how you seem to be in tune with that area. I kept asking myself, what would Shawn do out there...and even though I tried everything I could remember from our trip and tips you've given others on the board, there was nothing working. So, what would Shawn do??? Catch fish...that's what....lol.

Thanks Shawn...FnS and I talked about you while we were out there and how you seem to be in tune with that area. I kept asking myself, what would Shawn do out there...and even though I tried everything I could remember from our trip and tips you've given others on the board, there was nothing working. So, what would Shawn do??? Catch fish...that's what....lol.

Well Cliff when we were in the BOQ Nov 13,14,15 Mr Devil himself got the skunking for the first 2 days it wasn't until day 3 that he started to hit the jackpot.

Believe me I have been fishing with Shawn on a couple of occasions but never seen him take it so serious when he was not boating fish.

He was baffled :dunno: so he hit the books and got back to it.

Of course we did remove the Banana from his suit on day 3 :whistling:

:Gonefishing:

AH,so thats why i was skunked for a few days !!!...lol..lol.. and you are right mike i was stubborn and just kept playing with my lead lengths,and it just took 2 days to figure out that those super long leads made all the difference,but yes cliff when they have lockjaw,its real tough. and hey cliff,one of the big problems is all the boat traffic,if the fish are not hitting very well,just add boat traffic and they will just get spooked,the trolling dive curve books are a must out on the bay for suspended walleyes,were you using any long leads like in the 220-280ft back range ??? oh ya,and make sure mike didnt put that dam banana in your boat !!!!` lol..lol..llo

glad to hear ya got out,the walleye hear this year were very strange or so people were telling me,see last year the shad never came in till almost the middle of november,making the eyes good and hungry.

this year they came in around mid oct giving the eyes lots to feed on ....hence the strange bite,you know off one day on the next two off 3 days and so on.

like ya said theres always next year and hey ive fished with 1000s of folks and the ones that have a tough time catching normally smoke a huge HAWG.....

taker easy

Hawg Hunter

Great report and pics Cliff :thumbsup_anim:

I know the feeling of being skunked..... the same happen to me trying for musky..... but will give it a try next June on opening season :)

What matters is that you had a good time out there :thumbsup_anim: fish would of been a bonus for sure :canadian: but thems are the breaks :(

Nothing like a good day of fishing amongs friends B) Good job to you both

and thanks for sharing

Leechman

The flotilla of boats following was the g2g for the Quintefishing,com group.

There were some nice fish taken in Picton Bay yesterday, one was over 12 lbs that was beat out by a 13lb 7oz fish entered at 1600.

The trolling bite may have been off, but the jig bite was on bigtime.

Some other people I was talking to told me of a PB of almost 14lbs, caught east of the ferry.

Stay Tuned

very glad to hear folks are jigging out there,i have not trolled for walleye in many years and while fishing in the picton area and watching all the boats trolling i often wonder to myself" do these lads know what there missing"

good post Fishhunter 80 eyes is good too, as you seen its a blood bath on the jigs,normally we hit shore by noon with all nice eaters and 50+ boated.

Hawg Hunter

Well, ya got out, ya made it back, what else could you ask for! LOL

Couple of things I spotted in the report!

1. No AC/DC blaring away... bad move

2. You took out FnS without me... bad move!

And btw, Mike the Pike, that was not a red striped pickereye I caught at the gtg... it was a Rainbow Darter on Roids! :w00t: LMAO!

HH

The flotilla of boats following was the g2g for the Quintefishing,com group.

There were some nice fish taken in Picton Bay yesterday, one was over 12 lbs that was beat out by a 13lb 7oz fish entered at 1600.

The trolling bite may have been off, but the jig bite was on bigtime.

Some other people I was talking to told me of a PB of almost 14lbs, caught east of the ferry.

Stay Tuned

We were out in the same area this weekend. Caught all of our fish trolling. I will say that trolling speeds and depths were pretty important. We had 2 boats with 3 guys on each boat for the tourney on saturday and between us we had 19 walleye. Our boat had 8 with the smallest around 9lbs. We also had the 13.7 winner. Unfortunately for us, our scale had the walleye at 12.5 lbs (instead of 13.7), so we threw back my 12 lb walleye which would have been around 13 lb on the official scale. Anyway, great weekend of fishing for sure.

13.7lb_walleye.JPG

12lb_walleye.JPG

Nice report Cliff and as always, great to spend some time on the water with you. You did forget to mention my newing scrapped up tail dancer, but then again, why bother. :wallbash: I figure a few more trips and we'll have this figured out. I did have my rod back 200 at one point but perhaps we should have gone back farther or even jigged. As you said, some info for the memory banks for the next time, thanks for the tips gentlemen, just a couple of newbies here.

Well, ya got out, ya made it back, what else could you ask for! LOL

Couple of things I spotted in the report!

1. No AC/DC blaring away... bad move

2. You took out FnS without me... bad move!

HH

HH - Cliff hasn't installed the radio I gave him so no tunes at all. lol! Would have been nice to have you along for the day but not much room in the tinny. Next year I won't be so quick to put my boat away and you can come along with us. ;)

Couple of beauties there JayZ! Congrats!

BTW - The test went well today, will more when I follow up with the doc in a couple of weeks.