I'm In - First trip to LAKAIR GTG

Rich Clemens

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: I did it ... just confirmed with Leslie for my first trip to the Lakair GTG in June. Planning on arriving Tuesday late afternoon 19th and leaving Sunday morning 24th. Finally get to meet some of the members from here. Looking forward to a great time. (At least Lew and Wayne said it would be).

Couple things

At this point, I'll have a sleeping bag in the back of truck - should work out fine. I'll be looking for a boat partner and would be more than happy to share expenses with anyone else in the same situation.

Also, I hear a lot of you fish for eyes .,.. which I have never done before. Not wanting to be the lone man out, I'm looking for suggestions on what kind of tackle I would need. Already set up for pike and musky.

Oh boy .... now, exactly how much longer do I have to wait :dunno:

Thanks in advance.

Rich

It'll be our first year this year too! (me and blyght that is). Looking forward to meeting many OFNers that weekend. We are in the same position as you...we are boatless...but it's easier to find someone with one spare spot than two. We'll be just as happy to fish off the docks. We'll be there Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday afternoon. We'd love to stay a longer period of time, but we can only arrange babysitting for those days. We'll take em though!!!

As far as Walleye are concerned, we have good luck using assorted crank baits...wallydivers, shad raps and jigs. Mind you...that's shore fishing...I have no idea what you'd use trolling at deeper depths. We use 8 to 10 lb mono line and never had a break bringing one in. We've landed many this fall between 8 and 15 pounds and had great luck using the equipment mentioned above.

See you in Lakair!

Cliff

ccmt, I will be up on Nipissing the week of the G2G... when you coming up? I wont be staying at Lakair I will be just down the road (Family Vacation thing) But I would be more then Happy to have the two of you in my boat and spend a bunch of hours fishing...

Rich same goes for you I fish an area just up from Lakair... and would be more then happy to save a seat for yah.

I will be there from June 16th to the 23 and I will be visiting Lakair to see the boys & girls...

The boat aint pretty but will get us from A to B :D

Gerritt.

Another one from the southern contingent of OFC!!Lookin forward to meeting you.Just look for Art and GCD and chances are I'll be somewhere around.Glad to hear you are gonna make it up this year Gerrit,I may wanna take a ride in your boat also.

Joe

That's definetely good news Rich, and it'll be good to finally meet you after all this time.

There'll be a bunch of the regular pickeral experts up there and they be able to steer you in the right direction and let you know what the hot baits are.

I'll be arriving on the morning of the 19th myself......see ya then.

Edited by lew

Joe no problem! not even a question about it... hell I'll be spending quite a bit of time there with the boys she's 16' Spiels old boat. I should'nt have said that....now were all gonna get skunked because we all know Spiel cant catch fish :))

Gerritt.

Hey Gerritt...that old boat's had at least one 29" pickeral in it ! :rolleyes:

Glad I could help twist your wife's arm for ya Rich. I'll be there on the 18th and I'm sure we can get out together. Leah fishes...but she's not going to spend the whole day on the water.

Wayne

ccmt, I will be up on Nipissing the week of the G2G... when you coming up? I wont be staying at Lakair I will be just down the road (Family Vacation thing) But I would be more then Happy to have the two of you in my boat and spend a bunch of hours fishing...

Hey Gerritt

Thanks for the offer! We may just take you up on that too! We are arriving on evening of Friday June 22nd and will be there until Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting you and all the others...cant wait actually!

Cliff

#10 Black and Silver Suspending HJ and small ShapRaps, Taildancers as well, and ofcourse the usual suspects various jigs head in different weights the last couple years we were useing 3" Christmas Tree Berkley Power baits tipped with a bit of crawler.. and we did extremely well.... if you cant find Christmas Tree plastics, Watermelon would be a decent substitute.

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

Hey Rich- U only have to worry about worm harnesses if u r trolling. If ur casting either a spinning or casting set up will do doesnt matter mono or braid ur preference. For baits where i fish for eyes i use jig heads different colours with a worm simple but productive. U can use cranks, some jerk baits, divers what ever will get to a decent depth really, another fun way is finessing with soft plastic minnows 2 1/2 inches to about 4 inches and jigging them vertically. Also if the eyes are deeper can always go with a drop shooting technique with finesse minnows as well. All these work where i fish for them, never been to lakair though. Im sure some pro will chime in and get specifics for ya.