Can you use a regular reel on an ice fishing rod?

sneak_e_pete

i dont see why not u would just need ice fishing line

OH you just open the can of worm there.LOL

Ice fishing line is over rated IMO.

You will get many opinions on line,(I like to use Ande mono 4-8 pd)but as far as the reel goes,you can use what ever you want. I like to use a bait caster for those deep lakers and whities.Ultra light reels w/ 4-6 ft light/med action rod for them perch and crappies.

Have to agree with misfish. Ice fishing line is a farse. I have tried all kinds under some pretty extreme conditions and find that the mono does just as well. If you have water and minus degree temperatures it's gonna freeze up. I pay more attention to the rod I use making sure that it has oversize guides.

I do it all the time too, heck sometimes I just use 1/2 of one of my spinning rods and I built a board with a dowel off the side that the rod can balance on and act as a tip-up sort of deal..as for icefishing line...have never bought it, never will, I just use regular mono line never had a problem yet....I even use my ultralite combo as a winter set up, and I have smaller, not quite ultra light reels I use for my ice fishing rods....all spinning gear, all regular mono line :Gonefishing:

I agree, ice fishing line is a gimmick. Use trilene XT and you'll be fine all winter.

I use a few of my 'soft water' reels during the winter for ice fishing. Specifically the shimano stradic 1000 size reel is one of my 'double duty' work horses, getting used 12 months a year.

Buyer beware when it comes to the cheapo ice fishing reels that come in combo's at CT etc. The drags can be terrible and the line capacity is usually low - something to think about if you plan on targeting lakers/whities or other deep water species.

If you fish with a gad or handline, trying to keep track of regular mono on the ice and snow can be difficult, and that is where some blue 'ice fishing line' can be handy.

I appreciate the mention of the versatile gad....I showshoe into lakes with 2 spools of lines and a film container of hooks and sinkers

I have been experimenting with the fireline ice to jig for lakers with good results. Same for walleyes.

I wouldn't use anything but a regular reel for icefishing, small reels handle poorly with mitts on

Reel wise, I like something simple, and prefer when possible to use a single action reel. I also like to make sure that I use a greese that handles the cold well, as some will.... and some will not. I do try to avoid lighter composites as extreme cold seems to make most rather unpredictable.

Line wise, I prefer Fusion for BOQ walleye and will use mono for some shallow trout fishing. I also try to use one size over what I am doing in "fair weather" to compensate for the cold, to some degree.

I note that cram (poster after me) mentioned handlining. I actually prefer this in many instances, given that one can get away with less equipment, cost and have a decent hookset. That was a good point to hear, about an area that is so often neglected, by anglers now conditioned to have combo's, etc.

If I know I will be fishing in a hut, I have far fewer concerns.

Hopefully I will get to go out, when I am at home in the BOQ area, in about another two weeks.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

I use regular reels on my rods. All are incredibly non-balanced (big reel, tiny rod) but it seems to work for me. I would not buy special reels for ice fishing.

As for line, i agree with the comments about ice fishing line though admitt4edly i don't have enough experience to really judge. I think the braids are generally crap (freeze).

Comments about mono etc on ice are good. For handlines i have heard of people using black/dark dacron as its easier to see/handle. I haven't tried it but seems like a good idea to me.