Great day on Burr Lake

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Yup got out again ;D

This time we hit Burr Lake....a smallish lake with easy access off a logging road. I was with my buddies Dave and Chuck....first time both of them have joined me...usually one or the other.

The guys had been calling me crazy since last week....but I persuaded them it was safe, we had PFDs and ice picks...and I would go first...just make sure ya pull me out if I go through....lol.

As it turned out there was tons of ice, up to 6 1/2", thinnest was 3 1/2"......but all good black ice.

We had never fished this lake before...but heard there are walleye in it.....that’s good enough for us!!!! We hit the lake about 10:30 am. I went out first with PDF and ice pics, drilled the first hole and was pleased to find 6" of good black ice. I went back with Chuck to get our gear....when we got back...Dave....yeah the guy who says I’m crazy for going out early....this guy is 250lb.....is on a mission half way out on the lake drilling as if he was looking for oil.....not so nervous now eh Dave?

DAVE ON A MISSION

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

ONCE OUT THERE CHUCK RELAXED A BIT TOO

k3.jpg

We stayed at the first spot for about an hour. We did not get any bites at all. I did not see anything on my sonar either.

We were almost in the middle of the bay and only reading 12' fow max. We decided to head around the corner to a rock point Chuck had been told about, apparently there is god fishing around the point during the summer.

Before we knew it, Dave had picked up the auger and was offski!.....lol....He wasn't waiting up either, mind you Chuck and I were not too upset that he was blazing the trail...we kept close to his footprints.

DAVE IS OUTTA HERE!....HEY DAVE....WAIT UP!

k4.jpg

It was about a mile walk in the end.....but not difficult because there was only around 2 cm of snow, and I coulda walked another 3 miles as it was such a fantastic warm (-2) sunny day.

We got to the rock point and did the usual line of holes from shallow out deeper. It was a very steep drop off.....only about 2 yards out from shore it was 16' deep.....gradually dropping off from there to around 25' fow. There was a bay off to one side...which became fairly shallow....flanked by some weeds I could see on the Lowrance...perfect...rock...weed....deep...shallow...sand......GOTTA BE SOME FISH HERE!

Wasn't long before I hooked into a small Pike. We noticed there was a track leading up from the shore.....and we could hear when a truck went by and realised it was a short 50yard walk to the road....so I set off back to get the truck. Of course when I got back I had another larger Pike take my other line.

GOT A SMALL PIKE RIGHT OFF THE BAT

k14.jpg

ON THE WAY BACK TO GET THE TRUCK I SNAPPED A COUPLE OF SCENERY PICS>>>>IT WAS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DAY!

k16.jpg

k17.jpg

OF COURSE THIS GUY TOOK MY LINE WHEN I"M NOT THERE!

k5.jpg

IT went quiet for a bit after that. I was seeing a lot of action on the sonar....looked like perch...with the odd bigger fish swimming through. I had some tiny perch type jigs with me so I thought I’d test my hypothesis...lol...yup....perch.....I played around catching small fish for about twenty minutes before my rod close to shore nearly went through the hole...another pike. Not long after that I got another couple of pike. We were beginning to wonder where the walleye were when Dave hooked into the first...small...but good enough for eating...today anyway.

IT WAS PERCH AFTER ALL

k8.jpg

A COUPLE MORE PIKE FOR ME

k6.jpg

k13.jpg

IT WENT QUIET FOR A BIT

k7.jpg

THEN FINALLY A WALLEYE....NICE ONE DAVE!!!

k9.jpg

k10.jpg

Dave then started to out fish us....as in he was the only one catching walleye. Then Chuck started catching walleye too....lol......I kept getting pike...after pike after pike.....funny how it goes sometimes.

As the sun started to set the bite increased.....I finally got 3 walleye in quick succession.,....as did chuck and Dave......we had to put back a lot of small ones but managed to get our limit in the end.

I WAS GETTING PIKE AFTER PIKE

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/k12.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/k15.flv">

CHUCK HAD A PIKE AND SOME WALLEYE

k11-1.jpg

AT SUNSET THE WALLEYE BITE PICKED UP

k18.jpg

k19.jpg

k21.jpg

All in all a great day on the ice...perfect weather...good friends and fish...what else can ya ask for(don’t answer that).

My wife was really pleased to see me when I got home....so were the cats...but I don’t think its caused they missed me...just that I had supper....and man was it good!

ALL IN ALL A GREAT DAY ON THE ICE

k20.jpg

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! YUM!

k22.jpg

EVEN BERT OUR CAT WAS STUFFED>>>>HE JUST COLLAPSED ON THE COUCH IN FRONT OF THE TV AFTER A GOOD FEED OF WALLEYE

k23.jpg

nice report. people up in the sioux lookout area have been telling me it's too early for ice fishing, shows what they know.. good work.

A lot of the locals i have met here can't believe i'm out on the ice already...lol.

I think part of the reason people dont ice fish this early is because the hunting is so good. Another reason i think may play a part is that people use snowmachines or have iceshacks....i would not want to drag an icehut out yet....and a snowmachine might just be ok by next week.

Lol....the guy in our bay i noticed this morning has dragged his icehut out this morning......but the back bay has been frozen for nearly a month now.

IMG_2400.jpg

Great report, pics and videos Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Man your so lucky..... I envy you :lol:

Looks like a great day out, weather nice and with friends :thumbsup_anim:

Can't get any better than that :canadian: and catching eyes, congratulation to all of you :clapping:

Great job Simon and keep them reports coming :Gonefishing:

Leechman

Edited by Leechman