Chinese Democracy (NF)

Sherriff

Anyone a Guns N' Roses fan?

I picked up Chinese Democracy the other day and WOW! If people can get past the fact that Slash and company are gone, they will really like this album. I gotta say, the more I listen to it, the more I like it, LOVE it.

Killer vocals from Axl, great lyrics and sizzling guitar solos......My only complaint, it is way over produced.

If any other band had come out with this, I think it would be HUGE and they would be the next great thing.

Best Rock album in 10 year in my opinion....

Sherriff

IMHO and from what I've heard, extremely over produced, to the point I have a hard time listening to it as it simply does not sound "real" to me!

Someone got a little over eager with the Pro-Tools I'd say.

Best rock album in the last decade! Sorry can't agree!

HH

I saw them in Waterloo when they were opening up for The Cult. They were so bad we booed them off stage. They were hammered. Ian from The Cult came out and told us to show GnR some love. So we started booing him too. Six months later Appetite for Destruction went through the roof and people were going nuts for it. Just shows that videos can make the band, or at least sell your albums. Probably the worst live act I ever saw.

They were booed in a lot of places for being drunk and and Axl is known for stopping concerts for smallest things.

I have not heard the new album but did hear new Metallica album and its prety good compared to the last one *shudder*.

Ok, maybe the best rock album in 10 years was a little strong LOL, I shoulda said that is was the most excited I have been over an album in the last 10 years. But I still love it!...

I do kinda wish it was an Axl solo effort and he had dropped the G N R name.

Sherriff

i heard one of the songs before i knew who it was, turned on the radio and it was on halfway thru. .......and seriosuly had a hard time figuring out who it was until it wsa over and found out the radio station was playing snippets of it every hour. It wasnt GnR to me at all. Some things are just better left alone. This one could have been left unreleased in my opinion. Great band, but should have let it rest where it ended. Im only basing this on a few songs, so i should give it an honest listen. But my first impressions are what ive stated above. That being said, ive said that a few times before, and ended up liking a CD so much after listening to it over and over that it didnt come out of my CD player for months. lol

The metallica release, its definitely an improvement over anything beyond "and justice for all" to date. But again, i really think they should have stopped making music in and around the black album era. There comes a time when you just exhaust your music making/writing talents......you only have so much material you can create sometimes.....at the level these bands did anyway, and there comes a time when you should bow out gracefully and ON TOP. GnR did that i think, until this latest release. SHould have left well enough alone. THen again, they may appeal to a whole new group of listeners and skyrocket again, who the he11 knows lol

It's not even GNR though. It's just one guy from the band that is still full of himself. After they played the title track on FM96 in London, a guy called in and said the opening guitar line to the song sounded an awful lot like the theme song to 90210. That's too funny. Now I hear it all the time when they play that song. It's just mediocre songs that I have heard so far. Better than most crap pop bands out there today but definitely not on par with any of the real GNR albums with the whole crew.

For an album that took 14 years to put together... I'M NOT OVERLY IMPRESSED!!! apparently it is the most expensive album ever produced (Over $13 Million)! and it is over produced, obviously... way too polished for a rock album in my opinion, though i would loosely classify half of the songs as rock-ballads! The majority of the guitar solos are pure s#!t throughout most of the album... ever heard the expression "sometimes less is more"? obviously the band hasn't, and neither has their producers. their guitarists were clearly trying too hard to be as good or better than Slash, that some of the solos were just way too much. in the song "Better" (which has potential to be one of the follow-up singles - if they have other singles off the album) the solos sounds like a Nintendo game's audio effects... the last solo in the song isn't as bad, it actually suits the song, but the others ruin the song for me. i will give them props on the song "Streets of Dreams" though, that song is well written and has a great progressive build-up, and the solos actually sound good on that one - it is a very radio friendly rock-ballad that could be another single. the one song that really intrigued me was "This I Love" (another ballad) just because of Axl's singing style. it's unlike anything i've heard him do before. he goes back to his usual falsetto style with his usual overlaying vocal tracks later in the song however.

it's not a BAD album, but 14 years of material should have produced better!

If Axl really wanted to shake the world, he should have done this!

Released the album under a different name, same album, different name. Why, good question!

The mystique behind this 17 year odyssey would have been hard for any band to over come. Had he released this album under a different name, the hype would have been lowered and the intrigue regarding Chinese Democracy would have helped to maintain the band's image and they would still have an album available to the public!

BTW - did you hear the GnR are suing Doctor Pepper! The good folks at Dr. Pepper promised to give everyone in the States a free Dr. Pepper if GnR released Chinese Democracy. They are apparently reneging on their promise.

GnR are "asking" them to stay true to their word!

HH

totally agree that they should have created a new band name. Axl is the ONLY original member, so they should have changed the name, and i would have preferred it because this CD is not a "GUNS AND ROSES" album... it is an AXL ROSE ALBUM... they might as well have gone back to the "Hollywood Rose" band name, because, like i said, this is NOT Guns N' Roses.