Poker thread????

Harrison

I think as long as they set themselves a set of rules and stick to them all will be good..

but with what seems to be off the wall, good one day bad the other day, good for one mod bad for the other mod..

good for one member bad for other members...system of deleting or locking threads..stinks.... a level playing field and clear rules for everyone would go a long way to holding on to members that are showing up on other boards in big numbers

again..the word MAY is the problem..do it to all or none and the world would be a better place.....

....I reiterate, it's a Fishing Forum Terry. If you only want to read fishing posts don't open NF posts and don't start or reply to NF posts. If you do want to be a part of NF posts be prepared that they may get removed, period! That may or may not change.

Guest mistyriver1

you guys are killing a good website, from where I stand...

I'm not sure about killing Terry, but I remember when I joined over 3 years ago it seemed alot different than it does now :unsure: . Times change I guess....... :(

Edited by mistyriver1

I notice everyone is good at making complaints, but few offer viable solutions.

How do we

1. Allow the free flow of information and at the same time keep things civil?
  2. Where do we draw the line so that we didn't 'wait too long' to nuke a thread and people get mad and leave, or drive sponsors away.
  3. How do we please everyone?? We can't. Some people forget that there are many issues we have to deal with and sometimes we move preoactively when our experience tells us something is about to get ugly. Then we are the information police. IF we wait till it actually gets ugly we get emails threatening to sue us or report us to our hosts.... So you tell me...where do we draw the line?? We do not post the nasty emails in public, but all the mods have seen them. If any of you have the answer to the puzzle, we are all ears.

Hey Mods, I'll start telling you how to run your message board after I've gotten my own life in order. Prepare for a long wait.

:lol:

I will guess that some of the long time members may be a little frustrated at the changes in their forum over the last couple of months but as a new member here from my perspective its fantastic. The amount of fishing knowledge, talent, and just plain fun loving people here is wonderful. The mods have a job to do and it isnt easy to keep everyone happy. Some of the complaints I see are trivial in nature and only serve to cause problems rather than solve them. Rather than beating a subject to death, state your concern and let it be. This is primarily a fishing site and should be left as so. Best to support and build rather than sit back and b%$^h and tear down...Sorry if I got carried away :blush:

Rick,

It's your board, you guys will do as you see fit. The problem lies in my humble opinion in that there seems to be 2 sets of rules, with the stricter set being applied to the "nobodies" and the much more liberal set applied to the "somebodies". I guess tenure matters so some people have earned more rights than others. That's fine, but it should be stated explicitly so that people are not surprised when things transpire as they have.

I recognize that as a nobody maybe I didn't have the right to use or suggest the OFC poker tourney. The thing is, when I asked about it on the original thread, of the mods only Roy replied and when pressed for clarification he followed with a very smug retort about it being just an opinion and that he was allowed to have those still. No other response came and the only PMs I received were of an inquisitive nature.

Sorry for being the cause of this hubbub, it certainly was not intended to be another cabin fever outlet. Just supposed to be a fun gathering of people from this site.

Charles

well I think I did say what the main problem is and how to fix it

as charlesn just said, one person can do/say/post anything and the next person get shut out time and time again..there doesn't seem to be one rule for everyone...make one rule for posting and stick to it and atlest people will come to expect what is happening but this on again off again, is confussing a lot of people and making lots of people think you are picking on them, well that what I am getting from the many emails and PM people are sending me...

yes the board is changing

and yes it seems you are trying to go a different direction

but it was the members and the threads that made the website what it is today and I can only guess the big changes is to try to make money, to get sponsors/ads from this site, instead of it just being a part of a bigger business..which you sure have every right to do.....

...............but .....................

That might be part of the problem Terry. If I wanted to change or fix something on a message board I probably wouldn't email another member. If I was sincere in wanting to fix someting, I would propbably email someone who could do something about it.

I hope that didn't come off as a smug answer....It wasn't meant to be.

not at all ..

I know what you are saying..but some of the people who emailed me are afraid to say anything negative on the board and to show support they send an email or pm....I myself always say what is on my mind...the good the bad and the ugly...

I like this board or I wouldn't be here......just level the playing field, everyone like to know where they stand and no one likes it when someone else seems to have special privileges

Rick,

It's your board, you guys will do as you see fit. The problem lies in my humble opinion in that there seems to be 2 sets of rules, with the stricter set being applied to the "nobodies" and the much more liberal set applied to the "somebodies". I guess tenure matters so some people have earned more rights than others. That's fine, but it should be stated explicitly so that people are not surprised when things transpire as they have.

I recognize that as a nobody maybe I didn't have the right to use or suggest the OFC poker tourney. The thing is, when I asked about it on the original thread, of the mods only Roy replied and when pressed for clarification he followed with a very smug retort about it being just an opinion and that he was allowed to have those still. No other response came and the only PMs I received were of an inquisitive nature.

Sorry for being the cause of this hubbub, it certainly was not intended to be another cabin fever outlet. Just supposed to be a fun gathering of people from this site.

Charles

IMHO...i think posting a thread on a fishing forum like OFC about having a friendly online poker tournament , is not that big a deal. Maybe there should be an OT subforum. It's an opportunity for some OFC members (over 18) to get to together online for a game of (low limit) NL Holdem. It's an opportunity for some OFC members to get together and have fun and do something other then fishing. I like to compare it to the "swills" that are pinned as something other then fishing. You can talk/chat about fishing while at a swill, just as well as you can while playing poker. I'm sure many members of OFC, like to play the odd game of poker now and again. I'm also sure many members play poker online as well. I did not see any links to any poker sites in the deleted thread in question. I did not see any indication in the thread that OFC was sponsoring this online poker tournament and giving out OFC merchandise to the top 3 or whatever. I do not see any banners on this forum, indicating you support online poker in any way. So what's the big deal?

Using the arguement...that the site is hosted in the US, and that because of the recent crackdowns on online gambling in the US, it's not in the best interests of this site to allow an "online poker" thread to be posted in the forum...is rather extreme/paranoid. This is just my opinion.

The one thing that should have been done, was to create a name for the tournament....a name that had nothing to do with OFC. Other than that i really saw no reason to remove the thread.

fishinonthebrain

:Gonefishing:

It's like this every year CH. You can set your watch by it. Two out of season bass one vertically held muskie and a coupla hi-res pics of a very secret honey hole (of which only a few thousand people know about) and we'll be right on target.

This battle should have been fought when Dano's avatar got banned... :D:D

In my brief humble opinion...private board private preferences. Lots of valid reasons to ban a poker thread AND its just a poker thread...

Edited by Kirk