New Boat engine help

LeXXington

Don't mess with the magic on "Trophy Taker"!!

June 2008 - Lakair WINNER

November 2008 - Bay of Quinte WINNER

July-August 2009 - GOSD WINNER?????

What's your boat rated for?

LOL, she may not be fast but she is lucky. :P

My model says Max 40hp.

With the kids getting older (6 and 2) + the Dog I might have too get the engine to get up on a plane. :blink:

Over the BOQ we could not get on a plane going into the wind.. :( we had too turn downwind to give us the little boost.

I've owned them all... Merc, Yamaha, Johnson/Evinrude, Suzuki.. and by far the best has been the Yamaha !!!!!!!!!!!! These were all 2 strokes and never had a problem with the 70hp and the 90hp I owned... From my personal experiences, I would go with the Yamaha ....

Over the past 15 years these are the motors that I have owned and ran. All 2 stroke and some new and others not more than 2 years old when purchased..

70 Evinrude

25 Suzuki

15 Merc

30 Johnson

40 Johnson

50 Merc

50 Evinrude

70 Yamaha

15 Evinrude

35 Johnson

90 Yamaha

4 Yamaha 4 stk

Tiz

with the build quality of todays engines being top notch, doesn't really matter whitch major brand you choose, from personnel expierance the merc 40 4str is a great little engine good on fuel smooth runner the only draw back i have seen is the friction adjustment on the tiller handle doesn't work to well, i would buy one if the faced with the choice, but yamaha, honda are excellant engines as well , the e-tec still having some reliability issues but there getting better with every year

Uhhhhhh... I believe this is the question Lex would like answered:

This is where OFC is the greatest resourse. Where have you bought you engine got the best service and price.

He has decided on the brand and wants to know WHERE he can get a decent deal!!!

Sorry I can't help Lex... for obvious reasons.

Edited by GCD

Boatland Canada on the 115 used to have about the cheapest prices anywhere, so when I was looking to buy my motor, I shopped all over 1st and got the best price, then called Boatland last and gave him the lowest price I'd received and he instantely knocked another $400 off that price.

Unfortunately, his customer service took a nosedive a few years back and alot of guys turned against them, but I don't know how things are there now.

Might be worth a try Paul, but it's only a suggestion.

Thanks all for the great advice,

The controls for my Merc will work with a 40hp Merc, with a small part

The new controler for a Yam is another $600 if the price was good I would switch when comparing the 2 its about 26lbs lighter.

So far, Basspro is the best deal I have found anywhere but they don't take trade-in.. apprently my 2003 is too old yet they are still selling 2006 on the shelf :)