Boots...need some advice

crappieperchhunter

I am due for a new pair of boots. I do not hunt, but I am looking for something WARM and WATERPROOF. Something I can wear for cold spring and fall fishing and even the odd last ice warmer days, when you sometimes have 6 inches of water on top of the ice to wade through. I've got -100 celcius rated boots for my winter fun. I just need another pair of something that will handle the rest of my cold weather adventures.

Don't really have a price range. But I don't wanna break the bank either.

Any help would be appreciated.

yes, that is the brand.. i believe they are a bass pro only boot but could be wrong on that one.

Looking at them now, the brand is just Rocky & they were sold as a hunting boot.

Edited by Raf

I like the green rubber Kamiks from Crappie Tire.

100% waterproof, very warm with the felt liners, light and comfortable to walk in.

About $40 if I remember correctly

I owned a pair of those Lew and I couldn't wear them. Too tight around my calves. I wear a size 10 and I even went to a size twelve hoping that the bigger size would do the job. Just made matters worse. They where still too tight around the calves and they where flopping around like clown flippers from being too big.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Steve, for years my son kept telling me I should get a good pair of Gortex boots. I had a good pair of boots (I thought) but they finally wore out and I needed new ones. Reluctantly I took my son's advice and spent the extra $ on a good pair of Gortex boots. My only regret is I wish I had listened to him sooner! I wear these things hunting and fishing in some really extreme conditions and I have to admit they are really comfortable and worth every cent I spent on them. See what some of the others think of them, maybe I could have done better but I do like what I have!

BTW. Got something here for you if you want to make a trip up this way one day with your lovely lady and when ice fishing opens on Lake X for crappie bet we could talk Beans into a trip with us. Guest room is open!

I just got these with the 800 gram thinsulate this year, wore them all weekend at Quinte and walked the dog through snow, slush and water. So far so good, I love the easy on and off. Just buy the next size up from what you normally wear. When we were loading the boat, my feet only got wet because I went deeper than 15". Doh!

Cabelas Pinnacle boot

Edited by Dano

BTW. Got something here for you if you want to make a trip up this way one day with your lovely lady and when ice fishing opens on Lake X for crappie bet we could talk Beans into a trip with us. Guest room is open!

Not planning a trip up that way anytime soon my friend...but I would definately show up for a hardwater trip to Lake X. BTW is Sturgeon iced over yet? Iknow....just wishful thinking.

I just got these with the 800 gram thinsulate this year, wore them all weekend at Quinte and walked the dog through snow, slush and water. So far so good, I love the easy on and off. Just buy the next size up from what you normally wear. When we were loading the boat, my feet only got wet because I went deeper than 15". Doh!

Cabelas Pinnacle boot

Thx Dano I have looked at similar... but I am a little concerned about the possibility of the zippers icing over and being a beeatch to take off. Anybody out there have any experience with the zipper ones?

These might work for you Steve. As others have said, Baffin is a decent brand, and Rocky brand is its own brand sold through multiple outlets, but I do not know much about them.

I am sure you can find an outlet for these somewhere down there, but if not, you can order them from up here.

http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=6086

I started a thread last year for people to post their reviews of cold weather boots, here is my review of the Rocky Sport Utility Max:

These are my more mild weather boots:

Rocky 9" Sport Utility Max

▪1,000 grams of Thinsulate Insulation

▪Full-grain dark brown leather and Mossy Oak Break-Up nylon

▪Guaranteed ROCKY waterproof construction

http://www.rockyboots.com/Products/details...;RecsPerPage=20

I bought these boots at BassPro to replace an old pair of Kodiak hunting boots. I was looking for a lightweight boot with light insulation. I ended up purchasing the Sport Utility Max because they were on sale at BassPro. If I remember correctly they were around $120...

I wear these when trekking through the bush and late and early season trout fishing from shore. They are a very warm boot, both when you are on the move, and when stationary for extended periods. They seem to be very breathable as my feet do not seem to sweat even when doing a lot of walking. They are waterproof from where the toungue joins the boot, which is pretty far up the shaft of the boot.

The heavy Thinsulate insulation results in a boot you can wear in the middle of winter with little worry of getting cold. I wear these when I stand for a couple of hours watching my kids tobaggan and stay toasty warm.

They are a stiff boot though. The positive to this is that they do give a lot of ankle support, but they could be more flexible for those long walks through the bush. It takes a while to work these boots in.

The tread is quite aggressive and provides solid traction in mud, snow, frozen mud, etc..

rockyboot.jpg

Burt :)

I like the green rubber Kamiks from Crappie Tire.

100% waterproof, very warm with the felt liners, light and comfortable to walk in.

About $40 if I remember correctly

I second the Kamik green rubber. Tall and they have a drawstring too.

I bought a pair of these for the spring and wore them when it got as cold as 3 degrees on the boat. With a good set of socks I would say you are ready to go. Can't beat the price, especially when they are on sale ($30).

forrest

I like:

#1. Danner Boots... the most comfortable boots I've ever owned!!!

2.Meindl... almost as comfortable as the Danners and very durable!

3.Merrell... like the Meindl.

4. Irish Setters.. comfortable, affordable, and long lasting.

5.Worx... warm, comfy, and durable.

All come in Gore-Tex and different insulation weights.

Edited by GCD

I am an avid hunter, and boot are a big deal. My dad has the Rocky full gortex boot 1000 grams thinsulate, I have the Irish Setters gortex with nice leather pattern 800 grams thinsulate. Both boot are really warm, and very durable. Both purchased at bass pro.

Daniel

Just got back from Bass pro. Ended up getting "Rocky Sport Utility Max". Same as what Burtess recommended. $139.99...was leaning towards some Irish Setters but being the stingy bugger I am, just could not justify the extra $80-100 bucks. Thx all for offering your opinions. It gave me several different things to consider.

Regards,

Steve

Here are 2 brands I have had good experiences with and continue to wear while hunting in December and ice fishing all winter . Irish Setters and Lacrosse (Alpha soft shell) I have several pairs from 400 grams to 1200 grams. Remember you get what you pay for and having warm and dry feet is very important to make your outdoor experience an enjoyable one, instead of saving a few bucks. Make sure you get GORETEX as the brand of waterproof protection the best out there guaranteed.

I had a poor experience with Rocky boots a few years ago as the sole separated from the boot and they leaked, this is when they started to manufacture them in China and the quality I believe suffered. IMHO

You can get a good boot these day for under $200 and recommend the Irish Setters and Lacrosse brand as I also wear them for work and are the prefered boot of the OPP and MNR.

I have 2 pairs of lacrosse rubber boots that i love. I wear them all summer guiding, and when even i think im gonna get wet. THey are higher then most rubber boots and better then most in my opinion. They have a thinsulate modle that i don't have. I just have the uninsulated version, and with a pair of woll socks, they do well, until ice fishing rolls around. I also have a pair of heavy-duty insulated Baffins that i use for ice fishing. I have also been through a few pairs of Kamiks and they are great for the price. But not as comfortable to wear all day like my Lacrosse boots are. If you are willing to shell out the extra cash for an insulated pair of rubbers check them out. there is various thinsulate amounts to choose from.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

But the uninsulated ones are still the usual 60 bucks, and worth every penny in my opinion. I prefer the uninsulated with woll socks as long as i'm moving around. If im standing stillon say ice for example i break out the baffins.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

Hope that helped a little

-R-