Upper Niagara Report

Rizzo

I swear someone will catch a fish this year when we get together on the 13th... and I'm doing my best to make sure its me. I went out on the river for the first time this year this past Saturday. Man what a nasty day. Rained a good part of the day but luckily almost no wind, and air temps were reasonable too. Clarity was good but not TOO good (like the river can be some times). I'd say 8-10 feet visibility in most areas. Water was 50 degrees. We launched at Netherby and booted up to Frenchman's then started a zig zag troll back downstream. Other than smacking bottom real good a few times we got diddly on the first trip down the river. We decided to troll upstream rather than down a bit later in the day and this produced 2 small muskies (both around 6-7 lbs). A third small fish (similar size) was caught after I stopped the boat from trolling..fish hit as I was reeling in to check the lure for weeds/zebra mussels. Nothing big, but at least we saw that there are some fish there! We also tried a bit of casting (one follow) and jigging (couple of snags) but had no luck. Trolling seemed to be the choice that day. No photos were taken and 2 of the three fish didn't even leave the water, just a quick release at boatside. Third fish we needed to cut a hook that went through its cheek so it came on board for about 5 seconds.

"fish hit as I was reeling in to check the lure for weeds/zebra mussels."

Nice report..... after bouncing bottom last weekend and hooking into a couple plump muscles, I left them hooked and what do you know 5 mins later..... A PB for me :) no big deal only my second ski. Still a PB to be broken next year!

Hi Lew,

We launched at Netherby but I did notice about 8 vehicles/trailers parked at the marina, so the marina was still open last week-end, not sure if the same will be true a month from now.

Rizzo,the launch happened to be open Saturday because there was a local BASS club tourney going on, they had permission to use the ramp, hence the boat trailers there, to the best I know of, It was getting locked back up sometime right after the tourney. Hope that gives a bit of insight :Gonefishing:

I'm sorry,

I've read your report twice and can't seem to find a reasonable excuse for no camera/pics.

Sure it's a great read and no doubt on your catches,

But...

We would just like to see more pics of you,

That's all.

:whistling:

Wow that's not bad fishing especially on the Upper Niagara. Bodes well for the future!

Was under the impression that there was no muskies in the Upper Niagara, before reading this here post.

No Muskie in the Niagara ??? the Niagara can be world class for Muskie ...get out there and try you never know what just might hit those lures ... :Gonefishing:

No Muskie in the Niagara ??? the Niagara can be world class for Muskie ...get out there and try you never know what just might hit those lures ... :Gonefishing:

yeah man - I'm no muskie fisherman, but I was bassin' in a marina in the upper niagara last summer and we must have seen a half dozen or more ski's hanging around in the boat docks that day. Mostly smaller ones, but a couple brutes to!

Thanks for the report Rizzo!

Cheers,

UF