Never again!!

bassjnkie

Will I every leave my fishing stuff in the car or in the boat. I had some time on my hands today, so for chits and giggles I calculated my bass, walleye, Musky, pan fish, trout and Carp equipment that I take with me for the day, not the stuff that is sitting around. So I grab a calculator and crunching numbers (low balling the price of course), I hit equals and I almost passed out. I recommend to give it a try, and I know for sure you will never leave you stuff unattended again. I did it for the hell of it, and also realized I am addicted. Intervention time. LOL

I've managed to rehabilitate myself.

I used to go to any length to feel a fish bite my line.

I would go out every week-end, and sometimes take time off from work during the week.

I would drive countless miles sometimes just to fish for half- day then get home bone tired.

I took chances by driving my precious vehicle onto questionable ice.

Many times I did not have a fishing partner, and would go alone.

I spent good hard earned money on what I would consider today as trinkets.

Not anymore.

I realize it is just a fish.

And not worth the effort, time or money.

I would go out every week-end, and sometimes take time off from work during the week.

I would drive countless miles sometimes just to fish for half- day then get home bone tired.

Not anymore.

True. :clapping:

Not anymore.

MODS!!!!!!!!!!! are we going to allow this man on the board???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistling::dunno::angry::lol::lol:

Daniel son, if you have a Mrs, or other significant other, do not, I repeat, DO NOT! even hint at the price of your addiction. Yer in for one big heap of pain and sorrow otherwise. THat or you are gonna have to buy a real big suck up gift :lol:

She doesn't know about this site. Oh, when my packages arrive, all I say is "it was really cheap".

Lets count some stuff here...

Float gear-

4 rods from 9'6" to 13'6"

1 Float reel

2 spinning reels

total = probably alot

Landing that beauty chromer...?priceless

Bass Gear-

6 rods, assorted

3 Baitcasters (new one on the way today)

4 spinning reels

COUNTLESS baits, plastics etc

total= probably alot

draggin that huge largie outta the slop? Priceless

I could go on and on...but the moral of the story here is simple economics. I believe simply that I have a buyers surplus in fishing gear, caused by my level of enjoyment outweighing the monetary value of the items.

Plus, in opportunity cost I figure I gave up some souped up Honda (who cares), maybe a few cases of beer (can go without).

See, economics is important. It allows me to rationalize my fishing purchases.

To catch the fish I've got the gear,

a rod, a reel and a case of beer,

a fishin' boat to get me there,

twelve dozen plugs and lures to spare.

There's just one thing thats buggin' me,

I've added and subtracted til I cant see,

with all my equipment I have found

a fish costs $150 a pound.

The problem is that if you enjoy fishing for multiple species, each has it's own specific set of gear required for the most part, that's when it gets exponentially costly.

I envy single species guys.

Carp, Salmon, Trout, Bass, Muskie, Walleye, Barracuda, Panfish, Ice fishing, Boat fishing, creek fishing hahaha it all adds up!

I think I made the ultimate fishing mistake!!

I started fishing when I was too young to remember and then accumulated all my gear for every species over a 15 year span. Then I discovered beer, bars, women and other unspeakables that made me stop fishing regularly for 10 years or so... oh yeah, post secondary ed kinda got in the way too.

In those 10 years, I must have moved 5 times or more and with each move, I misplaced, lost, lent or gave away my gear. All I own of it now is a fly rod and reel that could be considered an antique.

Over the last 3 years, I have really got the fishing bug again and had to buy all that stuff over from scratch instead of updating it over time. Problem with that is that BPS showed up and so did all the great new "must have" gear on the market today!

I now come home from tackle shopping with receipts hidden and the gear left in the truck until she is out or asleep. It is my money that I spend, but there is a slight feeling of guilt. :dunno:

The thing about it though is that no amount of money can replace the way I feel after escaping into my own world of fishing. :D

What you all are decribing is a little something called G.A.S.! Gear Acquisition Syndrom and it manifests itself in many different forms.

Just be glad your not like me and suffering from relentless G.A.S. for things guitar, Bass or amplification based. You think paying $20.00 for a lure is bad? Try spending $35-$45 per shot at trying to find a bass string you like!

How about $2k to $4K for a new bass? How about another $4K for a good amp?

Let's not talk about cables, and lessons and everything else!

G.A.S run rampant across the board... my only real solution... buy used!!!!!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I know exactly how much I’ve spent over the years and it doesn’t bother me one bit. I’m primarily a steelhead/carp angler so compared to different types of fishing, the cost isn’t too bad – No boat, no need for an SUV to pull it, no need to spend $ on a load of lures, etc.

I’m not an impulsive buyer and know exactly what I want (or what I’m looking for) from the shop before I walk in. For the big ticket items, I do research and a cost/benefit analysis before I spend my money. I do have a vice for high-end tackle – Sage fly rods, Custom Harrison carp rods, Custom float rods + centrepins. I own fair bit of tackle for my steelhead and carp fishing but each outfit gets fished hard every season and I never find the need or desire to upgrade (which if you ask most people, ends up costing more). For my carp fishing, I take comfort in knowing that I only spend $10 on 80lbs of corn for bait which lasts me a season – I get most of my boilies for free nowadays from friends who smuggle them in from the UK.

IMO there are worse things to spend your hard earned $ on. For me, I don’t smoke (never have). I don’t drink alcohol. I don’t drink coffee or energy drinks (which most people I know rely on several times a day). I don’t gamble more than $5 every 3 months when my friends get together to play a game of poker (which according to my own records, I’m up $10). Unlike a cigarette or a beer, my fishing tackle will last more than 1 shot and I always have the option to pass it along to kids or grandkids down the road. I consider my fishing tackle as a long-term investment for happiness.

What you all are decribing is a little something called G.A.S.! Gear Acquisition Syndrom and it manifests itself in many different forms.

Just be glad your not like me and suffering from relentless G.A.S. for things guitar, Bass or amplification based. You think paying $20.00 for a lure is bad? Try spending $35-$45 per shot at trying to find a bass string you like!

How about $2k to $4K for a new bass? How about another $4K for a good amp?

Let's not talk about cables, and lessons and everything else!

G.A.S run rampant across the board... my only real solution... buy used!!!!!

HH

I also fought a tough battle with this disease and went through all kinds of gear in a very short time. One friend had the worst GAS i know of with photo albums of the guitars and amps he's owned, mostly high end and limited/hard to find items.

Lessons? My amp has a dial setting for skill level that goes from 1 - 10.

Edited by j ace