Internet shopping is goooood

lew

Hey Lew

I just purchased a Ridgid Hammer drill with all the accesories, it is worth $349 before tax at Home Depot.

I bought it from a guy in the states for $142 US + $25 US for shipping.

UPS showed up about 3 days later to deliver and wanted another $63 for Duty and Brokerage so all in all I think it cost me about $240 or so.

Still not a bad deal.

I called UPS and they told me if it was worth less than $60 there was no charge.

Just thought I would let people know that if the price is close, you may be better off getting it here.

How much did your item end up costing after all was said and done?

Stan

How much did your item end up costing after all was said and done?

Stan

Total bill, all in.......$608 US with nothing extra from UPS.

Actually I coulda done real well if I wasn't so darned honest. I didn't even now the package had arrived until I went out to the front porch and there it was, just sitting there with nobody around.......so signature asked for or anything else.

It'd be quite easy for me to call Cabelas and ask where my GPS got to.

Only took 5 days too, from time of order till delivery....awesome service !!

Lew

I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread here but do you or any other OFNers know why sometimes there are brutal Duty and Brokerage fees and other times not.

I can only surmise that it has something to do with the way the item is shipped, how did yours get sent Lew?

Ground, Air ????

I think it's great that we can shop around the world and get deals but I sure would like to know exactly what the cost will be before I receive it.

Stan

Stan, your not hijacking my thread at all, infact i think it's great when we can help each other save a few $$$$

This was actually my 1st Internet purchase from anywhere so I really can't offer you much.

My purchase came by UPS ground transportation about 4 days earlier than promised, and what was nice too, was when I ordered it, Cabellas gave me the total price to my home, so there were no hidden surprises.

I was always abit concerned about ordering big $$$$ items thru the net, but I'll never hesitate to do it again.....at least not with Cabelas.

I've been buying lots of stuff on E Bay the past year or so. Today I received a Carhartt winter work jacket. I paid $40.00 US for it and $10.00 shipping as well as PST and GST. So, about $70.00 Canadian in all. I'm sure that same jacket would cost $150.00 or more here. I also got a nice hand painted Brook Trout coffee mug today. The detail is incredible. $1.99 for that. Cabelas and E Bay are great places to shop.

way to go lew....sounds like you got a great deal and yes sometimes you can get real good deals on the net for sure....and stan i was told about the fees for different items the price of brokerage fees is based on the way it is shipped and on insuring the contents depending on what state its from its pretty complicated ive asked the same question befoe as well..some small items ive paid alot of shipping and other larger items its very reasonable...go figure..he lew i just missed you at JB'S this afternoon :D

Good score Lew :thumbsup_anim:

As for the duty fees, it is hit and miss. I order off ebay all the time and just last Friday, two packages arrived. I went to the post office and one had taxes and a handling charge (the smaller package) and the other didn't :dunno: . The one I got charged for was a soft envelope of clothes and the one I didn't get charged for was my new Abu 6600 D5, which showed was worth more on the box than the clothes. I asked the postal worker why and he said the same as was stated above, it is hit and miss. He said there's no rhyme nor reason to it, you either get lucky or you don't.

I've had more come without the charges than with them, but it bites when you are charged because sometimes you're really not saving that much. It is always 8% PST and 6% GST of the price stated on the package of what it's worth, and a $5 handling charge.

Joey

Guest mistyriver1

I've bought two things from Cabela's (Fish finder and an Abu reel) had both within 5 days of my order. Very good service.

I've bought 4 things on E-Bay in the last year and no problems. :thumbsup_anim:

Ol' Yeller and I buy off the internet all the time. Shop from the comfort of your own home, and the package arrives at your door via uniformed messenger... how convienient is that? Not to mention the savings on the bargains you get!

Lew and other folkes that buy from Cabelas, y'all may want to check into signing up for a Cabelas Club Visa Card. I placed a $70 order with them this mornin' and used $24 worth of points, so I paid $46 for 70 worth of fishin' stuff. BassPro also has a rewards program but it isn't nearly as good as Cabelas.

I here ya Lew its hard to buy local when ya can save like that I feel bad when I buy from the net but if they can not come close to matching the price I would rather have the $ in my front pocket. I buy alot from Ebay and Cabalas BPS for somethings as long as ya know what it would cost local then figure the difference you will do alright.

I would avoid using UPS they can screw you in a heart beat on there Bull charges they tried to get me once my wife ordered something from Ebay and it was sent UPS and left on my door step I received a bill a month later asking for some where in the $40-50 range for there broker fees and duty and tax I fought them on it and won theysaid I signed for it and did not pay I just told them to bring the proof to my house with my sig and I will pay they knew I was right and only charge me the duty and tax that was 1/4 of what the bill they tried to give me just one of there fees was over $15 I DONT USE UPS from the USA to Canada.

I've also been burned on UPS. Not always but they seem to get the brokerage fees a lot more often than any other method. Good old US postal service seems to work best for me not getting charges if you dont mind taking a day or two longer to deliver.

There have been times that I've ordered electronics from stateside for business and with big ticket items, they've asked for copies to be sent of my credit card and photo ID. I can't fathom why they'd need this when they've already cleared the transaction with the credit card company, but they babble on about new "homeland security" regulations. I ordered a set of cordless microphones out of California and got this runaround and I just told them I wouldn't send photocopies or scans of my ID and the bottom line was, "Do you want to make the sale or not?" They sent me my stuff but what a load of crap.

Lew

I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread here but do you or any other OFNers know why sometimes there are brutal Duty and Brokerage fees and other times not.

I can only surmise that it has something to do with the way the item is shipped, how did yours get sent Lew?

Ground, Air ????

I think it's great that we can shop around the world and get deals but I sure would like to know exactly what the cost will be before I receive it.

Stan

Ive bought a lot of stuff over the internet, most of it though was when I was living in England and there was no duty or brokerage fee's.

From what I can understand if the value is under $20 there is no duty or brokerage fee's. Anything over this is charged both.

From what I have seen, Cabela's is a fantastic place to buy from here in Canada. They will let you know all the taxes, duty, and brokerage fee's before you order. This saves you from having the nasty surprise when the guys or gals in the Brown shirts show up at your door with $100 worth of stuff demanding $75 in fee's :angry:

There use to be a good guide on Ebay.ca about this but I just looked it up and I cant find it. I'll try looking again when I have a bit more time.

Happy shopping!!!

Pinch

I WILL NEVER USE UPS!!!! they are nothing but a bunch of nickel and diming ripoffs!

Had two new cell phones shipped to me by Telus.. They were shipped via UPS... well they would try and deliver during the day obviously we are both working.... I asked for the packages to be delivered to my local UPS store where I could pick them up... the UPS agent on the phone stated I needed to get the stores permission... weird but ok... I go to the UPS Store and they demand 7.00 per package! I said are you dang nuts? you already been paid to deliver them. They told me they were charging me for a convience factor... I lost it!! Told them to shove their little brown shirts up their rear and left... went down to the local UPS depot in downtown hamilton and picked them up there...

I have NEVER had an issue with Purolator They attempt delivery... if they cant reach you, you go to the purolator and pick them up no 7.00 per package crap...

I told them at the UPS store I would tell this story to everyone I know. They dont give a damn

Gerritt.