RIP Teenage Head's Frankie Venom

Nemo

Man sad to hear this news. I was a fan and saw the band at Exhibition Place many moons ago - must have been 1980 or 1981. They were ahead of their time. Any other fans out there?

RIP Teenage Head's Frankie Venom

10/16/2008 By Brock Thiessen

Today Canada mourns the death of one of its true punk rock legends — Frank Kerr, aka Frankie Venom, lead singer of Hamilton punk pioneers Teenage Head. Band-mate Gord Lewis announced Wednesday (October 15) that Kerr had passed away due to natural causes. He was 51.

Teenage Head formed at Hamilton’s Westdale High School back in 1975. By the early ’80s they became one the country’s most beloved punk bands, with many dubbing them Canada’s answer to the Ramones.

In recent years, the band reignited their punk rock fires and recorded an album with Marky Ramone, simply dubbed Teenage Head with Marky Ramone, a 2008 collection of re-worked material from various points in Teenage Head’s career. Even as recent as this summer, Teenage Head were actively touring Canada.

In a May 2008 interview with Exclaim!, Lewis, Teenage Head’s guitar player, said Kerr and the band had begun writing an upcoming album of new material. At this point, however, it is too early to say what will become of that material, or if the band had a chance to enter the studio to put it to tape.

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarti...&fid1=34185

Truly a sad day for all Canadian Rockers! They were a must see band live, especially in a small bar setting, which I was fortunate enough to have seen numerous times.

"Frantic City" is a Canadian Classic as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, I had just pulled it out this past weekend and as always, enjoyed the raw energy that they exude.

Well, I guess it is a "Nice day for a party, isn't it!"

RIP Franky... show how to RnR where ever you are!!!!

HH

Have seen them a number of times. First time was at my high school in 1980. A few double bills at Sharkeys in Oakville with David Wilcox.

A fairly regular play in my CD list - My fav - DISGUSTEEN

Sad news

Sad news indeed.

Sharkey's, that was a great bar saw them at my high school as well (Port Credit)....Saw the Kings at Port Credit as well, anybody remember them ?

Edited by mistyriver1

Sad news indeed,i have probly seen them 10 times in total,they have played in whitby at the wingshack,and at iroquos arena several times,and myself my girlfriend,and a fellow teacher friend were having a beer with him only 6 months ago !!!! he knows the band very well,and partys with them quite regularly,and they said that frankie had cleaned up alot in the last year,and did rehab a few times,and was doing very well !!! so it comes as a suprise to many im sure !!! rest in peace frankie gonna have me some kinda fun !!!!

LOVED Teenage Head.My friends and I could and did sing the words to a pile of their songs (the more you drank, the louder you sang). Yes I'm a "Carpet Kisser". "In the morning, I'll get togther and I'll get up and leave this place. But for now, I'll drop down, to the carpet with my face." Loved their debut self titled album the best, Frantic City next. Saw them in high school. I'm dating myself here, but I think it was in 1980-81. They were no longer allowed to play at our school as Frankie was doing inappropriate, (but apparently enjoyed by my neighbor) (she was a good looking girl) things with the mic stand. That coupled with some foul language got them barred from our public school system altogether. Man, those were the good ole days LOL. I'm sad to here he passed, but apparently he lived life hard and payed for it. I'm also glad to hear they're being recognized for their body of work. Rock on Frankie.

Definately sad news. I also saw them a bunch of times. They were always a hit at the Sheridan College dances in the early 80's as well as Sharkey's. :thumbsup_anim:

I was playing their stuff on my drive to and from Alaska last month, Great Driving Music.

Rest in peace Frankie you will be missed.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Have seen them a number of times. First time was at my high school in 1980. A few double bills at Sharkeys in Oakville with David Wilcox.

A fairly regular play in my CD list - My fav - DISGUSTEEN

Sad news

Yup, my favorite song too, my cassette is long gone because the rest of the tape sucked big time. As far as comparing to the Ramones? Somebodys still on acid I think.

Use to see them all the time as an underager at The Coronet in Kitchener. I was a huge fan. Got kicked out of school a couple times for wearing my F*CK the Rest Heads The Best and Gimme Some Teenage Head Tshirts. I hope some day he gets in a Canadian version of the Rock n Roll hall of fame. Incredibly important Canadian Band.

Hey me too when I used to wear my, I TRIPPED TERRY FOX IN TORONTO t shirt. I still dont know why?

Sad for sure!, I never get tired of listening to Teenage head, a few years ago, my wife and I were staying in a cottage in Fenelon Falls, we decided to visit the local bar, I noticed the guy's walking in front of us were wearing teanage head jackets, sure enought it was Frankie and the boys, we talked a bit then they did their show-it was great in a tiny little room! we loved it!