Thanksgiving Weekend Report *PICS*

steverowbotham

Kelli and I headed up to her cottage on Sunday. The cottage is on Twelve Mile Lake just north of Minden. It is a small, beautiful lake and the fishing is tough, but can be awesome when you find the fish. It is also a lake that I think could be VERY vulnerable to overfishing, so I would recommend catch and release to all bass fishermen.

Anyways, we got to Wedgewood Marine around 9am and there was a truck parked in front of the ramp and the owners were nowhere to be found, after waiting an hour, no one showed up so we went to the gravel ramp on 118. The ramp is too shallow for my boat so we needed to get in the water and pull the boat off the trailer. I was not impressed to start the morning.

Anyways, by 11am we headed out and it was pretty windy so we immediately started chuckin spinnerbaits and jerkbaits around the steepest drops we could find. I missed a good fish on the jerkbait, then ran into Jigger, a fellow OFNer. We had a quick chat about the lake then got on our way. Headed to a new area and found the fish ... caught 7 or 8 on the jerkbait, a couple on tubes and 3 or 4 on spinnerbaits, even saw some big lakers cruising up shallow.

We headed in at around 3 to meet and greet with the family and enjoy some turkey, then back on the lake by 6 for an hour of fishing. I landed 4 more on the jerkbait. Caught 5 tagged smallies today!!

n502843091_1559079_9090.jpg

a nice little smallie (1st of our tagged fish)

n502843091_1559080_9396.jpg

a couple nice smallies posing for a photo op.... one was slightly deformed but fat as could be.

n502843091_1559082_9979.jpg

Kelli with some beauties

n502843091_1559083_278.jpg

BEautiful couple with some beautiful fish haha

n502843091_1559084_593.jpg

A big tagged smallie I caught up shallow after the group photo fish had been released

Monday morning, we got up at around 8am, had some turkey sandwiches and headed back out onto the lake. We were on the water by 9:30 and fished until around 12. We got all our fish on jerkbaits this morning, and KElli caught a pig smallie. Same locations produced again. Kelli's uncle Scott followed along to a spot I showed him and landed a nic elittle pike as well.

n502843091_1559086_3269.jpg

Fishing in some awesome scenery

n502843091_1559087_3558.jpg

Scott's pike

n502843091_1559090_4495.jpg

Kelli's big one on the jerkbait ... she's starting to like jerkbaits haha

n502843091_1559088_3870.jpg

Kelli with a couple beauts from the morning

n502843091_1559092_5108.jpg

they took the dock out by the time we got back and we had to wade for our pic haha, all fish released just fine.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

A thanksgiving weekend to remember steve !!!! :whistling::clapping: great fishing,great family,great long weekend of smallie fishin !!!! man there are some real brutes there bud well done !!! :w00t: they would be tournament fish for sure !!! nice scenery up there as well,thanks for sharing !! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thanks for the post.Just wondering,while you recommend catch and release, some of the pics have multiple fish.I'm assuming you keep them in the live-well get the shots and release later.Have been told bass recover better after a short time in the live-well.

I do keep them in a livewell. Being a tournament angler, I keep a log on most fish that I catch, and total weight for my biggest five is usually one of them. During pre-fishing, you're not allowed to keep any in the livewell, but I try to not hook most of them anyways. In this case we had just over 16 pounds on the first day and about 17.5 on the second day.

And as for the go to bait ... my lucky craft wasnt doin her thing this weekend. I got most of my fish on an XCalibur jerkbait that I got at Canadian Tire for 14.99, significantly cheaper than a lucky craft anyways. Kelli got most of hers on a white x-rap. Twitch, twitch, pause.... the pause was the key to triggering strikes.

I forgot to add to my last post ... while keeping fish in the livewell, and this is a tip for anyone who wants to keep them alive and healhty. I have a continuous recirculation of fresh water, plus I use an additive called "Catch and Release":

Calms Bass & Walleye With All Natural Sedative

Stimulates And Protects Slime Coating

Reduces Weight Loss By Preventing Stomach Regurgitation

Prevents Shock And Restores Electrolyte Balance

Instantly Removes Harmful Chlorine And Other Toxic Harmful Water Treatment Chemicals

Boosts Oxygen Transer

Protects Against Overall Post Release Infection

All Around Stress Reducing Compound

CATCH AND RELEASE® is the most advanced

There's my little infomercial pitch, but the stuff works wonders. Also, in the summer, add some ice to cool the temperature of the livewell, but not too much, you dont want to shock them. Also, another tip while we're at it. If you hook a fish really deep and it is bleeding profusely, open a can of mountain dew and pour it on the wound, I swear to Jesus himself that it stops the bleeding and that fish will survive. It works, I've seen fish come out of their graves pretty much. Mountain Dew, keep some on board.

I forgot to add to my last post ... while keeping fish in the livewell, and this is a tip for anyone who wants to keep them alive and healhty. I have a continuous recirculation of fresh water, plus I use an additive called "Catch and Release":

Calms Bass & Walleye With All Natural Sedative

Stimulates And Protects Slime Coating

Reduces Weight Loss By Preventing Stomach Regurgitation

Prevents Shock And Restores Electrolyte Balance

Instantly Removes Harmful Chlorine And Other Toxic Harmful Water Treatment Chemicals

Boosts Oxygen Transer

Protects Against Overall Post Release Infection

All Around Stress Reducing Compound

CATCH AND RELEASE® is the most advanced

There's my little infomercial pitch, but the stuff works wonders. Also, in the summer, add some ice to cool the temperature of the livewell, but not too much, you dont want to shock them. Also, another tip while we're at it. If you hook a fish really deep and it is bleeding profusely, open a can of mountain dew and pour it on the wound, I swear to Jesus himself that it stops the bleeding and that fish will survive. It works, I've seen fish come out of their graves pretty much. Mountain Dew, keep some on board.

Thanks Steve for the great tip..... will pass it to other bass anglers in my area.

Leechman

Great report and pics Steve,some nice Bass you and Kelli got into......Congrats

If you hook a fish really deep and it is bleeding profusely, open a can of mountain dew and pour it on the wound, I swear to Jesus himself that it stops the bleeding and that fish will survive. It works, I've seen fish come out of their graves pretty much. Mountain Dew, keep some on board.

Interesting...... can any soda work(say sprite/7up) or does it have to be Mountain Dew?

cheers

Streamerguy

Great report and pics Steve,some nice Bass you and Kelli got into......Congrats

Interesting...... can any soda work(say sprite/7up) or does it have to be Mountain Dew?

cheers

Streamerguy

When I first heard about it, it was mountain dew so thats all I ever tried. I always keep some on board, use it when i need it, drink it when i need it.