The River is just FULL of surprises

chickenhawk

Went out east yesterday and had about 5-10 minutes of action all day....didn't hook any boots all day but I did catch a laker....first one ever on Lake O tribs....anyways thought that was pretty cool...and my buddy got 2 browns all fish within minutes of each other. Anyone ever catch a laker in the Lake O tribs? does it happen much or is this very rare? anyways let me know it would be really interesting to find out.....unfortunately no pics as my cell phone was in the car and i did not want to risk killing a fish to run to the car just so i could take a picture of it....anyways just letting you guys know....

Hawk

I've fished the east most of my life and I've only managed to land 1 laker from the Ganny (Seen a few come out there too). Caught it 8-9yrs ago floating roe off bottom for salmon and browns (+odd early steel)...Caught it on my 15 or 16th birthday just before the season closed.

0001b.jpg

Some of the locals told me they used to run pretty thick in the Ganny many years ago. They'd stack up in the Bi-way hole and all you'd get for a couple weeks in October were lakers. I've heard of a few coming out of Bomanville too (even further upstream from where you were). Interesting catch nonetheless.

Edited by MJL

I managed to get into 2 lakers before. They were both caught out of Oshawa creek a year apart. As soon as you get the hook into them you can tell they aren't the usual catch. Both of mine didn't do much running, they held their ground and did a full body shake right into shore.

I've fished the east most of my life and I've only managed to land 1 laker from the Ganny (Seen a few come out there too). Caught it 8-9yrs ago floating roe off bottom for salmon and browns (+odd early steel)...Caught it on my 15 or 16th birthday just before the season closed.

0001b.jpg

Some of the locals told me they used to run pretty thick in the Ganny many years ago. They'd stack up in the Bi-way hole and all you'd get for a couple weeks in October were lakers. I've heard of a few coming out of Bomanville too (even further upstream from where you were). Interesting catch nonetheless.

Back about 15 years ago they used to stock lakers at the mouth of the Ganny and every fall between the middle of September until the middle of October they would return to the lower river. You could catch tons and at night you could get some real brutes to about 30 pounds. It was a fun fishery.

They come up the bigger Superior tribs and more frequently stage off the mouths.

Ive caught them in the stark and snowdrift rivers up by you drifter....thats a blast in current on the 'pin

I have also caught them in the Coppermine and Anderson Rivers just to mention a couple. It helps that they are not greasy like GL fish too.

Arctic lakers rival any of the better tasting fish as well. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM can you say BBQ!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Back about 15 years ago they used to stock lakers at the mouth of the Ganny and every fall between the middle of September until the middle of October they would return to the lower river. You could catch tons and at night you could get some real brutes to about 30 pounds. It was a fun fishery.

You got that right buddy, the Ganny was amazing for huge lakers.

They were like reeling in a drift sock though LOL!

Ahhh yeah, another story without pics...

... kind of reminds me of your summer guiding "story".

i don't know what your problem is....sorry i cannot afford a camera and didn't put my cell phone in my waders when i changed in the dark....i got lots of pictures of me guiding this summer....they are on someone else's camera which is a film camera and until the rest of that film is used the pics are not available......doesen't mean im lying GCD come on man....give a guy a chance....im not as well off as you might be....i have to make due with what i got....ill try harder to take a picture next time and risk killing a fish if it means i have to run to the car....meh no problem fish can just sit there on the bank gasping for air.....hmmmm

Hawk

i don't know what your problem is....sorry i cannot afford a camera and didn't put my cell phone in my waders when i changed in the dark....i got lots of pictures of me guiding this summer....they are on someone else's camera which is a film camera and until the rest of that film is used the pics are not available......doesen't mean im lying GCD come on man....give a guy a chance....im not as well off as you might be....i have to make due with what i got....ill try harder to take a picture next time and risk killing a fish if it means i have to run to the car....meh no problem fish can just sit there on the bank gasping for air.....hmmmm

Hawk

Does this sound familiar?

the English River near Minaki and Kenora....its awesome....i will have pictures for you all at the end of August

they'll be there guys i promise hopefully get some footage of some northerns taking out walleyes

...don't say it if you aren't going to do it, it just lessens your credibility.

Edited by GCD

Does this sound familiar?

...don't say it if you aren't going to do it, it just lessens your credibility.

Who cares?? How much time did you spend lookin up those 3-4 month old posts? Sorry dude,...cut the guy some slack!!!

Edited by StoneFly