Lakair... A tad overdue

highdrifter

Hiya gang,

Finally got around to putting the Lakair report together... Please forgive my somewhat ineptitude at getting things done in a timely manner… Procrastination is definitely an understatement here. I wanted to hold off until I got the full set of pics, from all parties involved.. But it was totally worth it to get them in full rez, for posting purposes of course.

As some of you know, this g2g was several months in the making.. I got the jitters right away when I saw GCD's invite. I had booked a week off from work right when it was to take place, so I'm thinking… SHWEEET. I can spend the whole time fishing and getting stupid with the OFC boys in Lakair! But alas, it was not to be. Certain, shall we say, obligations dictated whether or not this possible trip would become reality.

That certain obligation was my darling significant other, my lady.. We had talked about visiting New York for sometime, and as it happens we both had some time off… We had pondered the idea of going up to Lakair together, but both agreed that there wasn’t much else to do there than fish by day and get crunk by night with a bunch of hellions, with no more than a tent to protect us from the elements.. Not kewl for someone who considers a weekend in the Muskokas as “roughin it”. So we made a compromise. I would book us flights and 4 nights in NYC that weekend, to see some Broadway shows, shop and sample the cuisine, so that I could do my thang for the rest of the week.

She agreed, and I'm glad we did, as it brought us that much closer to one another. I love her enough not to even brought a fishing rod! Ahh the trials and tribulations of couplehood. Anywho, the trip buttered her up good. I coulda proposed a months worth of fishing in NWT and she would have barelly flinched.. yukyuk

Somehow, my friend Drew got wind that I was going on a fishing trip and we got to talking... I told him we'd make it a duo if he was able to book some time off work and would you know, he got the time. I also invited my new patna in crime, mad dawg Billy-Curtiss and he said he was in like Flynn. We did however have some space constraints, but once we the van was confirmed, we were good to go! :clapping:

And yes, there is a god. (He goes by the name of GCD, and he wears a halo of the finest road kill skunk there be). :rolleyes::asshat:

We arrived at an ungodly hour Wednesday night, so we missed the soiree with the rest of the boyeez. We broke camp and strolled down to the marina, and filled our lungs with that sweet near north air.. AAHHHH. The stuff of dreams. We even got a few swipes on our topwater baits.

We awoke the next morning, and at a leisurely pace, made our way to the lodge to check in and sample the java. If we were to have our wits about us, caffeine was crucial. For the remainder of the trip, the coffee house was to be our base of operations. Kevin was in and out that day, as his mother was just coming out triple by-pass surgery. All the best Kevin. From what I gathered over the next few days, she's one tough moma.

Anywho, rather than give a play-by-play (I should keep a journal), I've decided to simply post our better pictures and narrate a few of them.

The Scenery

Lakair is nestled in one of the many narrows to the west arm of lake Nipissing. With miles of shoreline, many islands and bays, it makes for a lot of water to cover. Seemed everywhere we looked there was another spot begging to receive a cast... The granite rocks, carved by receding glaciers were immencely beautiful and with a backdrop of white and red pines, made for great eye candy almost everywhere we looked..

One of the many back bays.

gallery_439_445_170545.jpg

A narrow that we simply had to explore.

gallery_439_445_58999.jpg

Billy's casting platform, where he was to spend many an hour..

gallery_439_445_39899.jpg

An intensely beautiful space.

gallery_439_445_98128.jpg

Morning mist... My personal favourite shot of the trip.

gallery_439_445_46305.jpg

The fishing

To sum up the fishing... I was good, but not great. We casted to lots of fishy looking shoreline, bays, points, drops and reefs with little to show for our efforts, but when we did get into fish, it made up for the downtime. Our friend and foe, will forever be, the weather. I can't remember ever experiencing so many fronts in a single day, and with the weather being so unstable, it slowed things down some. I remember talking to Paul, somewhat enebriated, about it and he agreed that something was in the air.. But, as weekend warrior anglers, we persevered and just kept on casting.

Billy with the first northern.

gallery_439_445_37592.jpg

Drew with the second.

gallery_439_445_102842.jpg

Billy looking particularly angelic..

gallery_439_445_34955.jpg

Having grown up in Temiskaming, I was in walleye mode. I hadn't fished them much over the summer, so I was keen on catching lots and putting on a big feed for everyone. I focused my efforts on working cranks and bottom bouncing jigs and harnesses. We caught a few nice ones, exept that all but a couple of fish were within the slot size. Something I had not anticipated. I don't like releasing eater sized eyes, especially when the fishing was so slow, but, what can you do eh?

Sunset... the magic hour for walleyes.

gallery_439_445_182960.jpg

We also worked them in pitch darkness.

gallery_439_445_80294.jpg

Some were caught in mid day though, casting for northerns.

gallery_439_445_188614.jpg

They were even hitting top water.. In the middle of the night! Billy with the biggest fish of the trip, caught on a hoola popper! :thumbsup_anim:

gallery_439_445_50724.jpg

We also boated a few smallies and largies..

Drewballs with a smallie.

gallery_439_445_207515.jpg

Billy... looking a little death metallish..

gallery_439_445_134682.jpg

One good pose deserves another!

gallery_439_445_79414.jpg

One of the only eyes outside the slot, and a little somethin somethin for Glen, who was kind enough to stray from the fire long enough to show us how to skin a catfish..

gallery_439_445_157829.jpg

A shot of the pit.. Glen tended to a roaring fire every night until the last ofner wandered off to bed. Hi Joey! :thumbsup_anim:

gallery_439_445_49089.jpg

What a fantastic four days. The weather, even if it was unstable, was sunny and clear, the amenities were superb and the company was awesome. We were quiet with melancholy while taking down the camp.

Gotta give a shout out to all the folks that I could shake hands with.. GCD, Les, ROY, Joey, Paul, Spiel, Tracker, BPSBASSMAN, Kicking Frog, Skeeter, Bassmaster Mike, Hooked and Muskystudd.. Last but certainly not least was Kevin and Ryan, the dockhand.

And to all those I couldn't.. Lew. Saw ya driving past at one point. Sorry I couldn't meet ya in person. I wish your mom a speedy recovery.

Sorry if I missed some names. I'll remember next time!

cheers!

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Hey hey!!! Excellent report Fidel!!! :thumbsup_anim: ... I was afeared you were gonna slack on me there for a second! ;)

It was great to meet the 3 of y'all... I dunno what Drew is doing hanging out with you and Billy, he seems like such a nice quiet young man.

Y'all did better on the fishin than me and Lester did :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: , and I'm sure you and Drew wouldn't have laffed if Billy Boy had fallen off his perch and into the drink eh! :w00t:

I had no idea that there were Bullheads in Nip!!!

Man that was a fun trip!!! Lotsa Nyucks around the fire, and Billy's pickin' only made it better!!! :clapping::clapping:

I hope everyone can make it again next year, and maybe a few more too!!!

Again, it was great meeting and partying with ya!!! :thumbsup_anim:

So we made a compromise. I would book us flights and 4 nights in NYC that weekend, to see some Broadway shows, shop and sample the cuisine, so that I could do my thang for the rest of the week.

Missing half a week of Lakair to sit through show tunes with your girl - that deserves a standing ovation. Bravo!!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Well that was worth the wait Fidel, very good report. You did better than us in the pickerel dept. that's for sure.

It was a pleasure meeting the three of you. You all made for some very entertaining stories around the campfire that I'm still chuckling about to this day. :thumbsup_anim:

Looking forward to seeing you next year. June this time maybe??

Joey

Great report & fishing trip man well done !!!!. :clapping: .some very nice scenery up there as well,too bad about all the walleyes being in the slot,it would have been nice to have a big fish-fry !!!glad to hear everyone had a blast,i sure hope to get up there next yearthanks for sharing...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Well that was worth the wait Fidel, very good report. You did better than us in the pickerel dept. that's for sure.

It was a pleasure meeting the three of you. You all made for some very entertaining stories around the campfire that I'm still chuckling about to this day. :thumbsup_anim:

Looking forward to seeing you next year. June this time maybe??

Joey

Thanks Joey. You and Paul are the kind of fisherfolk I can see spending a lot of hours on the water, trolling believers in the prop wash..

June might work!

take good care

HD

The pics are great! how did the chinney roe turn out by the way? Tel <')))><

Brotha, there was only one person to call...

She turned out beautifully, the colour is prime, and the texture is nice an goowy! Thanks again.

You get out yet? Season's been extended this year... should make for some interesting late fall fishing.

gimme a ring brotha.

cheers

HD

Sorry I missed you up at Lakair HD as I had to head out un-expectedly, but it's good to hear you enjoyed your 1st rtip up there so much.

I'm up there several times a year so I'm sure we'll meet up sometime next year.

Also good to see you boyz got into some real nice fish.

Quote: "To sum up the fishing... I was good, but not great."

I understand you guys like to get together, and that is part of the enjoyment.

But if yer at all interested in catching fish, on Lake Nipissing, you need to find another "Locale"

I know.

I'm from there, Dude.

I was born and raised there.

Every year my good friend, Duck (god bless him, he died in a snowmobile accident at the age of 33 on January 13, 1991 :( ) and I would wonder out loud why the "tourists" (guys like you) would waste time and money hangin around the West Arm, Cache Bay, and all the water between Pickerel Rock (The hardwoods/Oak Island) and shore.

It is basically pan fish, scrawny "hammerhandle Pike, and the occasional BIG Musky.

We would be zooming past them onto the more productive spots, although I think they've "petered" out as well.

You're certainly right about the dinks... Biggest northern was barelly 30in.. and the pickings were slim.

My mom's from the area as well. Had some family live in Sturgeon for many years and we used to have a cottage at Camp La Plage. My aunt actually married to a Restoule and spends her summers in Dokis.. The fishing's always been better at the start of the season.

Sorry about your friend. Almost lost my father when his sled went through the ice once, and lost 2 mates to sledding accidents when I was in high school. May they rest in peace.

cheers

HD

Sorry I missed you up at Lakair HD as I had to head out un-expectedly, but it's good to hear you enjoyed your 1st rtip up there so much.

I'm up there several times a year so I'm sure we'll meet up sometime next year.

Also good to see you boyz got into some real nice fish.

Thanks Lew. I was fighting the temptation to leave the boys for a bit to come rap with ya. I shoulda done it. Maybe we'll get a chance soon.

I hope all is well.

cheers

HD