6'6" or 7 footer?

Radnine

Hi Guys,

I know that this seems like a winter subject, but how do you determine what rod length to use?

I use spinning reels (Daiwa 1500 & 2500). I have a 6’6” rod and a seven footer. I think that I enjoy fishing with the 7’ more (both are Med. strength, fast action). Is that a good enough reason to buy another 7’ or am I missing something?

Thanks

(ps. I fish for bass and walleye mostly, also picking up whatever swims with them)

Guest Johnny Bass

I personally like longer rods. You can cast further and you can get away with lighter line. The shorter ones in my opinion are only good for short distance casts like pitching or flipping docks.

Longer the better! It is just a matter of time, 7ft+ rod will be out as standard equipment. longer rod having more guides also is good for lighter line.

Long enough not to snag your buddies on a boat.

6'6" vs 7' rod is not going to make one a better angler, the lightweightness and material use in the rod is more important.

I like the longer rods. I use a 7'6" non tele rod for pitching and flippin, I flip very good distances. I do have a variety of 6'6", but I like the castability of a longer rod, I don't use anything under 7'. So to answer the question, go for another 7'.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Also a fan of longer rods here. My shortest spinning rods are 7 1/2', all the way up to 9'. My go to rod these days is an 8' medium light action.

And, if I could borrow this photo from Moosebunk, here's the 8' er in action.

Nipigon-4b.jpg

I'm hardly an authority on this, but I've been paying attention, to others' comments and to my own experiences, and the conclusion I've come to is that I want one longer rod for spinning - i.e. a 7 footer. I've got a variety of inexpensive (read crappy) 6.5 - 7' rods and though I like none of them very well, I dislike less (???) the longer ones. I've got a reasonably good short (5.6') spinning rod which is hands down my fave, but it doesn't give me the distance I'd like with plastics. Ergo, a longer (7') good rod will be more to my liking. That's a really convoluted vote for the 7 footer.

JF

The reason for using a shorter rod has more to do with casting accuracy. I saw a show on WFN, I think it was called Classic concepts, with Kevin Van Dam. He was explaining his reasoning for two spinnerbait set-ups. The longer rod was used for casting further and the shorter rod was for short accurate casts around structure.

The consensus is pro long rod. I don't use anything under 7' now. Muskie casting rods...the go to ones are a 7'7" and an 8'6". However, I think a shorter rod like 5'6" to 6' is much better (for me) for vertical jigging for walleye from a boat.

Matter of personal preference I spose.

Out of a boat you can get away with 6.5 ft for most things with no worries. However I shore fish a lot and sometimes using the 8ft light action rod I use does wonders for reaching around trees and shooting line a long way when I only have a live leech on and no weight. Put on a 1/16 of ounce of shot and that extra foot of rod translates into an extra 20 to 20 ft with less effort casting.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Out of a boat you can get away with 6.5 ft for most things with no worries. However I shore fish a lot and sometimes using the 8ft light action rod I use does wonders for reaching around trees and shooting line a long way when I only have a live leech on and no weight. Put on a 1/16 of ounce of shot and that extra foot of rod translates into an extra 20 to 20 ft with less effort casting.

For me, it's all about playing the fish. It's a pleasure playing out a decent fish with a long rod compared to a shorter one. You depend less on your drag, and more on your rod. That's the biggest advantage to me. And it's more fun too...

Still trying new rods out,but I have found the following.

I like the 6.6 for a spinner bait.Diawa X7 Rod. The reason is for the quick action on the hookset (This rod is stiff and no give). Also I have gone with a braid for this(use to use 14-17 mono/floro) as there seems to be no hookset required when a bass hits the bait. I do give it a bit of a set after the hit,the braid seems to do the job on it,s own though.

If Im draging or doing a drop,I have become comfortable with a 7.6-8 ft rod,with a quick action tip,but good back bone.

The longest rods I have are 6'6" medium action with spinning reels and find them suitable for the fishing I do but the real challenge that I enjoy is my 4' 1/2" ultra light, especially when fishing vertically for walley in a boat.

Here is a pic of my two piece South Bend Explorer that I truly enjoy fishing with, in any type of condition

i246424271_56288_2.jpg

It's very light and you don't heaven get tired of casting with this thing......Just imagine if you hook a 1/2 Lbs or bigger fish on this :w00t:

To get back on topic the choice of longer rods, I think it's a personal choice, that is, what you feel more comfortable with.

Leechman

Hi Guys,

I know that this seems like a winter subject, but how do you determine what rod length to use?

I use spinning reels (Daiwa 1500 & 2500). I have a 6’6” rod and a seven footer. I think that I enjoy fishing with the 7’ more (both are Med. strength, fast action). Is that a good enough reason to buy another 7’ or am I missing something?

Thanks

(ps. I fish for bass and walleye mostly, also picking up whatever swims with them)

I am still trying to figure out how this is a winter subject???

I am still trying to figure out how this is a winter subject???

I was refering to the fact that generally (in my mind at least) summer is filled with fishing reports and talk of getaways and lodges etc. This topic just reminded me of winter topics, as in your locked in the house looking to buy fishing stuff on-line, kind of winter topic.

How's that, as clear as mother's milk?