Brook Trout Country

solopaddler

Some more pic's from the archives (sorry again about the poor quality)

There's a place I fish on the north shore of Lake Superior, it's a series of small lakes interconnected by short rivers with some pretty impressive waterfalls. It's really hard to get into, and is virtually untouched. I've been pretty much every year since '88 and it hasn't changed one bit over the years....

The following pic's clearly show just how difficult even the access road can be! My buddy forded the river first and took this great series of shots in sequence.

100_0432.jpg

100_0433.jpg

100_0434.jpg

100_0435.jpg

100_0436.jpg

100_0437.jpg

100_0438.jpg

Right in the deepest spot, with water rushing over my hood, I hit a giant boulder and the vehicle stalled. I could actually feel the current starting to tip me over! Amazingly, she instantly started up and I was able to muscle my way through to the other side. My heart was beating madly though, if you look at my face in the last pic I've got kind of crazed expression on my face. What a rush! :lol:

Here's our beach campsite on one of the lakes. Just awesome!

100_0431.jpg

The following are some of the waterfalls we fish and camp at while there..

100_0439.jpg

100_0440.jpg

Some typical spec's...

100_0442.jpg

100_0444.jpg

100_0445.jpg

Lunch!

100_0447.jpg

It really is a paradise in there!

Last spring I fished a lake in Algonquin that I've been fishing for years. There's some portaging involved, but it's a doable weekend trip.

Here's my bud taking a well deserved breather after arriving at the lake. Portaging can be thirsty work! :D

100_0427.jpg

This lake is not stocked and has traditionally given up only average sized spec's. However this particular trip it coughed up my personal best Algonquin Park Brook Trout, and the best part about it, it was caught on the fly. Don't know how long it was or the weight, it went back into the water immediately after these pic's were snapped.

100_0429.jpg

100_0428.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, cheers, Mike :Gonefishing:

Wow, that part of Superior I would love to visit, no wonder you go there every year, looks amazing. Now, what do you do concerning bears, besides running for your life if you encounter one? Seems like alot of places you go are bear country.

Edited by Hooked

Thank's guys....Hooked, I never really worry about bears in that kind of remote wilderness. I've never had a problem, they're much more likely to be afraid of you. Algonquin is another story though...the bears in that park are so used to seeing humans that they've lost their fear. IMO, they equate humans with food. Even there though, you just have to be a bit more vigilant in how you store your food, etc...

Great thread Solo. Thanks for posting.

Raf is right with the hydrolock though. If I was to do very many of those crossings I'd slap a snorkel on her pretty quick. And with water halfway up the doors, your vehicle doesn't weight much more than you do so it's quiet easy to get swept away.

I guess you know what you're doing....thanks again, great shots and report.

Solo, hydrolock occurs when a liquid enters your cylinders. It could be any liquid but in this case it would be water. It could come in from a number of places but you should be concerned about the air intake. Internal combustion engines compress the contents of the cylinder and as liquids are not compressable, you can get all sorts of damage like broken pistons ...rods etc...

Google "Jeep snorkel"... one of the first entries will be a homemade snorkel that would work fine. I know that a lot of folks will say that you should be worried about the differential, transfer case etc. taking in water before the air breather but those other parts are usually sealed enough to make it through those creeks and rivers as long as you're not lingering in there too long.

Have a read...it's interesting....

WOW...very nice scenery & brookie pics..it looked like a very secluded location ,thats probably why there is still such good fishing and :worthy: untouched wilderness,and that trip to algonquan looked very fun and the look on your face holding that huge speck says it all....way to go keep those old pics comming thanks for sharing :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: cheers

Thank's CC. Actually I just bought my first digital 2 months ago, all these pic's were taken with my old 35mm Nikon and in fact look pretty good in person...This set of north of Superior pic's was taken in '94. I've got a whack of pic's from that area that are much newer. I brought my 67 year old father in there 2 springs ago, maybe I'll post some of those pic's. The Algonquin pic's in my post were taken in May of 2006...

Awesome photos again Solopaddler. Keep them coming. You know, I've heard of the Brook Trout being called the "Canary in a coal mine" of fishes. Basically what that means is that if there's anything wrong with the environment, they'll be the first to disappear. They demand pristine conditions. So its no wonder that you find such magnificent fish far in the backwoods. And what better place for a fisherman to be one with nature? It's just you and natures finest offerings. That's how I like it. And apparently, so do you. Thanks for posting.