How to avoid getting spooled

forrest

I was reading Mike the Pike's story of getting spooled with 30lb test on the reel:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23225

1) set the drag correctly before casting and know the setting so it can be dialed back later.

2) Chase the fish. Salt water guys do this but I suspect that small aluminums should be left to be pulled around.

Not everyone is going to run 80lb test so what are some good ways to keep the line on the spool?

forrest

Sometimes it's unavoidable, too large of a fish on too light of tackle.. especially in deep water.

I have chased fish down with the gas powered motor, and will not hesitate to do it if need be!

Quality tackle will help land a very large fish on light tackle, smoooooth drags!

Quality gear is the key. Where is the weakest link? Most guys get broken off. If you have thirty pound test and a good rod, I think that for a lot of fish you should be able to set the drag to close to the tightest setting and let the rod absorb a lot of the punishment. I did have a 40 pound Chinook on in BC, no stopping that one. I had the right gear with the right sized spool. She just took off, and even at an incredibly high drag setting she peeled off 100 ft of line before you could say boo...and was in the lumber.

Can't remember the last time myself or my oldman were spooled.... I think it was up on the Michipicoten river about 15 year or so ago. Dad hooked into a monster chinook while we were out fishing for Pinks. This fish was well over 40lbs, just a big black nasty looking thing. I missed our only chance at netting it and off it went, spooling my dad in the process :)

Years ago a person could buy a spinning reel that came with a large capacity spool and a smaller capacity spool...(Mitchell 300)... Zebco spools came with a plastic core that you could remove to make them larger capacity...

I notice most reels today come with 2 spools but both are the same capacity...

Most bait runners for carp come with large capacity reels...

Chased a salmon Dad had on, another boat didn't notice what we were doing and circled us cutting it off. Dad was not a happy camper.

1,000 yds on one of those old 782 mooching reals works for me but when you see your fish jump on the horizon your in for a lot of 1/1 cranking and some sore arms.

I have never been spooled completely. Although I do start each fall with a full spool of line. I use Pflueger 6740's and they hold a TON of line. IE the other day I was at Fishing World and saw some Raven Mainline in Pink so I figured I could get 4 reels done with a 1500 yd spool of 6lb and so I only bought one spool. Big mistake because when I put it on I only got 3 spools filled to where I like em before I could see tons of black on the line spool. Good thing I had about 900yds of Ande here to finish up another spool for me and a couple for my dad....

So now I still have to do the 8lb for salmon for but I only do two spools of that. (That is the nice thing about having 7 spools for 3 reels.) I know from past experience though that I get 330 yds of 8lb on no problem....

Even with 330 yds of new 8lb on though I have had a couple of salmon make me nervous when fishing the lake from shore though especially when they start using the river current going out to help them.

I also like a full spool for casting because it seems to go further, but the other cool thing about having that much line on is that in the early part of spring just after ice out you take 7th spool and just back spool the line onto it. And you have fresh basically uneased line to do the spring run.

I use a Diawa 1600 ss for pier casting with 30lb power pro never been spooled. If I'm getting close I just tighten the drag down and put the boots to them. I usually turn them or the split ring goes the line never breaks but you gotta stop those big ole freight trains or kiss your line, fish and spoon goodbye. If I latch on to a big ole chinny when I'm drifting trouties I usually break them off, not into chasing big ole boots down the river.

Keep line on the spool? Use the right equipment for the fish your after, The right size reel, with the right diam. line that gives you a good amount of line capacity. If you are going pier fishing for salmon, I wouldn't bring an ultra light reel with 40yrds of 50lb PP, this is the reason people get spooled.

It's work for me twice; once at Bronte, once at Southampton. It's failed me several times.

If you're on shore or on a pier, chase the fish. When you find yourself, as I did, at the end of the pier, open the bail or free spool. Sometimes a fish will let up thinking it's free and may even return to where it was when it hit.

Think of it as a "what do I have to lose?" situation.

The worst thing that can happen is the inevitable ping when you get spooled.

The second worst possibility is that it spits the hook but it's better than losing your rig or getting wet!

The best thing that can happen is you can pick up a hundred yards or at the very least, turn the fish.

-Brian

I have been spooled only once, A big FRESH chinny hit a worm in the first 100 yards of a river I was fishing. At hookset it immediatly went for the lake and as soon as it rounded the last bend it was home free.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGG, PING!

True story here. I was fishing donw about 80ft in Australia off a reef. Was using 5 inch pilchards. What I thought was a 10 pound rock cod turned out to be a world class Marlin. Jumped out of the water about 10 ft from the boat. Scared the heck out of me. Stayed on top of the water for the whole time it took to spool me (15 seconds for about 250 yards of line). I guess I had no chance with my 7' medium rod and 12 pound tests. LOL True story.

Well here is the real deal I have alot of years experience fishing sure I thought about chasing it down with the boat remember it was a Shimano Sedona 2000 reel.There was already atleast 200 feet out when we got the hit trolling not much left on the spool.

Things happen fast my first reaction was tighten Ryan's drag I even tightened it to the maximum I could but the big brute managed

to pull out lots of line.

Did NOT have time to do what all have sugessted.

Whatever it was it was powereful and in the double digit range .

We were targetting small snot rockets s h e e t happens :stretcher:

Thats fishing .I will be gettin a shimano 4000 series for my boy this will give him a little more clout just in case

he happens to run into the big guy again.

The boy is over it and we have heavy muskie rods for the big uns but sometimes the wrong fish hits your light tackle

thats fishin.

MTP :canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike