DIY Glo Salmon Spoons For Under $2

CLofchik

Right, since it's on the cusp of pier season here's a how-to on how to make up some cheap pier chucking spoons for after dark kings. With most places wanting $5-$6 for a single Cleo it helps knock down the pain of snagging up or snapping a fish off.

Right, here's the essentials you need. Go find some cheap spoons, I always have my eye out for sales throughout the year, but the Dollarama has lately been a goldmine for cheap lures. Don't pay more than $1 for a steel spoon, slightly more for brass. I'm a big fan of genuine unplated brass spoons, but lately they're getting harder to find.

Next pick up some glo paint, preferably glo powder coat. Luremaking.com has some decent heat & dip glo powder, the 50g jars should do up around 50 spoons. They also sell spoon blanks, but usually I can find them cheaper locally in the bargain bin.

http://luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-..._dark_heat_.htm

1st step, wait for the girlfriend/wife to leave the house and get everything spread out.

GloLures001.jpg

Next, strip off all the paint and the cheap hooks & split rings. We won't be reusing those because a big king will simply bend them like a pretzel.

Sandpaper will work, but I'm lazy so a 15min soak in nail polish remover will do the same job. Also available at Dollarama :D

Give the spoons a quick buff with coarse sandpaper anyway to give the powder something to grip.

GloLures003.jpg

Heat up the spoons one at a time, then put the powder on. I like using a torch, but a butane lighter or something similiar will work. DO NOT use something that leaves soot, like a candle. The paint won't adhere to any black sooty residue. It doesn't need to be crazy hot, 30secs over a plumbers torch is plenty. Too hot and the paint will scorch & burn.

GloLures011.jpg

I just dump the powder on over newspaper, just enough to give a good coating. You can gently reheat the spoon to make sure it's evenly melted, but DO NOT get it too hot, or the paint will burn. If you're finicky you can file off excess drips and fill in lumps, but really the fish don't care if your spoon is a lil' damn ugly.

GloLures012.jpg

Once all your spoons are coated and cool enough to handle, pop them into a 350 oven for 20mins. This bakes on the finish rock hard.

GloLures015.jpg

After the oven I like to give them acoupla coats of rattlecan automotive clearcoat. Even commercial bought spoons can benefit from this, they glow brighter and the hook won't chip the paint off casting. Forgot to take a picture, but y'all know how to work a spray can right? Pop them in the oven again to bake the clear coat.

Once they're cool enough to handle put on some 80lb rated split rings (pliers help here) and good 4/0 hooks. I like Siwash singles, good hookups and they ain't gonna bend for nothing. If you stick a King with a treble in the corner of his mouth, he'll just chew it up and spit it out all nicely bent.

GloLures019.jpg

Finished products, now start casting!

GloLures018.jpg

You forgot to mention that a stove you do not use for cooking should be used.

There's no nasty odour or fumes, unless you crank the stove up too high by accident and burn the lot. Just use tinfoil in case you overload them & they run a bit.

Five star post!

I suppose you could use a powdercoat gun too

Nah, that's getting too complicated! :D

The powder is pretty light, if I want to get fancy I have a squeeze bulb that works fine for poofing on stripes or dots. But really it doesn't make much of a differance. I've got some darker glo purple I'm looking forward to trying, but truthfully at night I haven't found salmon that picky on colours.

Fantastic post. Thanks for the lesson.

Can you really catch kings casting this way? Better at night or during the day (morning/evening)? When does the season typically start?

Chinook (KINGS!) fishing off the piers is definitely better at night. Wee early hours of the morning are good too, hit the piers by 05:00 and you'll have a few good hours of fishing.

The season starts........um NOW, caught this big girl last night on the hammered brass spoon in the above pics.

And yes you really can catch salmon this way, much more satisfying than soaking the dreaded marshmallow :D

Aug19DIY.jpg

RIGHT ON. That's a post that really hits home!

We should book mark this one. Better yet, have a section on the board dedicated to threads like these, so that we may retrieve them easier for future reference.

Roy! What about a tips and techniques section? This should be the first post to be saved here.

Thanks!

HD

Pretty cool DIY powder coating , but I find it a lot easier to buy a sheet of glow in the dark sticker paper and cut out stickers to put on any spoon or J plug I want....Plus you can take them off in the future when you don't want the glow color....A lot less messy and a 8x11 sheet is only $3 on ebay.

• 11 months later...

This is the most important step and essential to success of most of my "projects"!

"1st step, wait for the girlfriend/wife to leave the house and get everything spread out."

thanks for the powder coat paint info, never knew it could be applied like that to lures so easily.

Edited by Syn

so this doesn;t smell up your house when they are in the oven?? and how much do u need to buy from the online store?? i see the they come in 50 g bottles how many bottles for 30 spoons

Edited by E30Nigel

has anyone tried to attach those small glowsticks to the spoon or to the line in front of spoon, this would eliminate flashing on every cast or so. just throwing an idea out...

I've tried using spare glowsticks in a variety of ways (attached to line ahead of Spots, Wigglers, Crazy Glued on the back of spoons), and seen a few others try similar things. None of them worked, don't know why exactly but using plain jane non-glow lures worked when glowsticks couldn't get a hit. Now plastic body baits where you can insert a stick in them worked fine, but having a light separate from the lure just didn't seem to do anything.

so this doesn;t smell up your house when they are in the oven?? and how much do u need to buy from the online store?? i see the they come in 50 g bottles how many bottles for 30 spoons

Nope, no smell at all. Unless you burn them, which is easy to do if you go crazy with a torch. Just need to run the fine line between just warm enough to melt the powder and too hot. As a rule it's better to stay on the colder side and keep gently heating the lure.

I get about 50 spoons per jar, doesn't take alot of powder to coat a spoon so if you don't waste too much a little goes a long way. No minimum size orders from Luremaking.com. I bought 5 jars in 2001 and ended up giving 3 away, just wasn't using that much.

You don't have to use powder coat, there is glo tape or water based glo paint but they're nowhere near as bright or durable as the power coat. I'm still using spoons from 2001 that have dozens & dozens of fish landed on them.