Great Day on the Bay

Doctrt

Fished GBay Muskies on Sunday from dawn till dusk. The morning started a little wet and slow, fishing-wise. The first fish to show himself was a nice smallie at around 10am caught on a large black and white spinnerbait. Not quite what I was looking for, but a good size for a bass. I'm not even going to guess weight (cause I know where that goes) but it measured 20" x 13.5".

IMGP2144_1.JPG

The pike were active in the middle of the day (1 for 3 - no pics) but the muskie fishing didn't pick up until 4:30 (very close to moon rise...hmmm...). Had a mid thirties fish swipe at a red and black Grim Reaper spinnerbait. Unfortunately I pulled the single hooks out of its mouth. 15 minutes later this fat 39" fish fell to the same bait, not 200 yards away.

IMGP2151_1.JPG

We started to troll a short while later, still on the grim reaper, and I picked up this nice 38"er, while over 10-12 feet of water.

IMGP2153_1.JPG

Back on the troll and within 30 minutes I hook up again. This time it feels small, but it seems to be chasing the boat so I have a hard time catching up on it. Somehow that fish pops the hook out and within 5 seconds, my buddy hits and lands a small 30" ski. Not sure what exactly happened but we may have come very close to the ellusive muskie double header.

Within an hour I hook up again with a small 33" muskie on the same trolling pattern. Unfortunately in the mayhem, we couldn't find the camera and instead of endangering the fish, she was quickly released.

Found the camera and just as dark was approaching I hit my last of the day casting open water. Must have hit this one on the head (37")

IMGP2161_1.JPG

All in all, a very successful muskie trip. I guess even the muskie gods smile once in a while!

Edited by Doctrt

Great report! That's quite a few fish for an area known for trophies.

That is a big smallmouth as well.

the muskie fishing didn't pick up until 4:30 (very close to moon rise...hmmm...).

Actually the moon SET at 4:30 pm which accounts for the sudden burst of musky activity,

if you believe in moon phases this could support that theory.

Thanks for sharing,

ehg

You're absolutely right ehg, the moon fall is what I was talking about. My mistake. Actually it was 4:48 on Sunday and 3 fish were caught within a half an hour of it (+/-). Kinda scary how close to the peak all that action came. I'm starting to become a believer.

I'm sure there is something to the moon times,but it seemed to me that you tapped into something on another level yesterday.After waching you hook one after another,Will and I decided you must have used Dave's "Jedi-mind tricks" to influence the muskys into passing on our bait and unloading on yours.It was quite a feat as we stuck you in the middle of the boat and made you fish "Dirty- Water" all day.

HAHAH uh huh 5 muskies in a afternoon and you would like him to pin point the location ,gte out there and work your own spots boy

nah, i was just wondering like southern or northern georgian bay. If it was southern that is an awesome day.