Been screwed for the last time..

Gerritt

Prepare to get more telemarketing and personalized junk mail from Bell than you ever thought possible.

I tossed Bell's land line and DSL service last year, in favor of a small local company. Within days, Bell started phoning and stuffing my mailbox with sappy "we miss you!" garbage. No matter how often I told them to take the # off their list, and to never attempt to contact me in any way ever again, they just wouldn't give it a rest.

Sometime this spring, I stumbled onto a note somewhere saying that it's illegal for a carrier to call you for a year after you tell them to take a hike. Next time they called, I threw that on the table. Whaddayaknow - no more calls, no more junk mail!

May that little tidbit bring you peace and quiet as well. :)

FTA goes down, hell even my Nfusion was down for about a week when IKS was renamed SUNS and new servers had to be implemented..

FTA is a awesome TV solution, but if you think it never goes down, you have a nother thing coming.

FTA goes down, but not as much now as it was five months ago. Many groups are close to creating a full emulation, which means your TV will be up longer then ever. I use a Sonicview, which has one of the top support teams, and it was up for damn near 3 months until a few days ago.

Also, if any of you are paying for your firmware, just go to FTAtalk. They have it immediately and it's all free. Don't get suckered into paying for firmware, it's not faster then free sites like FTA talk, and it's all the exact same firmware from the same support groups.

Just make sure to get a top brand of FTA reciver with a good support group. So when it does go down, your new firmware is up for download within a few hours, instead of a few days.

lol, who knew my first post was not going to be about fishing :\

lol, who knew my first post was not going to be about fishing :\

:thumbsup_anim: figured as much

I too am gonna be shopping around - have everything currently w/ Bell, no real issues thus far except

a ) I know i could be paying less with different carriers/providers

b ) hate the fact that one of the biggest Canadian compaines who with there "beaver commercials" portraty themselves as "Canadian", are sending all the jobs to India & such....

Edited by fishdawg

From totalfta.com

"Recently there has been quite a scare involving a new change within the Canadian system. There are reports that they have already began swapping customer's cards with the new generation encryption. This is something that everyone should definitely be keeping an eye on, however it doesn't seem to be anything to really worry about because it shouldn't cause anyone any issues anytime soon. I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before we really hear serious talk of their system upgrade."

I don't know what all of this really means, because I don't use FTA. All I know is that when I want to watch something on tv, I just turn it on and it's there for a buck (or 2) a day. Trying to run and stay ahead of the game to save that kind of cash? It's just not worth my time.

i went with cogeco. 34 dollars for the first year, all your services incl. and all calls north america anytime. a few little glitches but satisfied. i think after the year it goes up to 44. it also brought my internet down a few bucks. good luck

STAY AWAY FROM ROGERS!

They tried to rip me off a few times.

Bell has pulled a few stunts on me to.

omg rogers is pissing me off too

I did have a cell phone contract with Rogers. I'd rather send smoke signals. That would probably get the message out faster.

tell me about it... i have no idea how my cell bill is 200$ they are complete morons!

just for the record

FTA never goes down

but if you use the receiver to get bell or dishnetwork, they do spend lots of money to send ECM to shut down the people getting it without paying for it...

and they do it more then every two months

I am not talking about Bell or Starchoice....

From totalfta.com.....

I don't know what all of this really means, because I don't use FTA. All I know is that when I want to watch something on tv, I just turn it on and it's there for a buck (or 2) a day. Trying to run and stay ahead of the game to save that kind of cash? It's just not worth my time.

There's always those "scares"... not a big deal.

I've seriously considered getting BEV before.... but they simply price themselves out of my affordable level.

$2/day, that's $60/month... or $720/year. And if i remember right, for $60/month, u don't even get everything, right? Full subscription needs like $90+.... and that's still all the PPV, NHL & NFL packages to pay extra for. The NHL package alone is an extra $200 or $250?

You can setup FTA for <$250. Even if u just gona use it for 5 months, it's already less than what you'll pay to Bell. Yeah it goes down... like 1/2 a day every month or 2.... no big deal. We can watch CBC for free anyway if daily news is urgent.

There's always those "scares"... not a big deal.

I've seriously considered getting BEV before.... but they simply price themselves out of my affordable level.

$2/day, that's $60/month... or $720/year. And if i remember right, for $60/month, u don't even get everything, right? Full subscription needs like $90+.... and that's still all the PPV, NHL & NFL packages to pay extra for. The NHL package alone is an extra $200 or $250?

You can setup FTA for <$250. Even if u just gona use it for 5 months, it's already less than what you'll pay to Bell. Yeah it goes down... like 1/2 a day every month or 2.... no big deal. We can watch CBC for free anyway if daily news is urgent.

Nobody that I know pays full price for it. "Piggybacking". I like that word.

Even no one u knows pay full price, alot of ppl do. Any even $60/month +tax, is still alot.

Not to mention, I absolutely hate the way satellite/TV companies package channels into those stupid "theme" packs. It's nothing but a rip-off. Imagine u go to Timmy and they have 12 favours of donuts as a "theme pack", then favours of muffins as a pack. You want to grab a chocolate donut? Sure, but u can't just get 1..... You'll have to buy the whole donut pack for $5. Oh, and b4 u can buy the donut pack, you'll have to buy the basic coffee first too. Oh, and that donut pack u get, u can only eat 1 out of the 12. NO NO, u can't eat more than 1 even if ur stomach has room... .and NO NO u can't share with other ppl either. And we'r supposed to say it's a good deal getting 12 donuts for only $5 and pay for them? No thanks.

I live in Toronto and here is what I pay for Internet/TV.

Rogers charges me $120 for a basic digital TV package. I don't have the HD package, and I don't have the sports package. in fact they just took off some channels last months, yet I pay the exact same rate.

Rogers also charges me $100 for Internet service.

I have a very old home (built in the 50's), and need two computers, one in the basement, one on the top floor to have Internet access. Wireless routers don't work in this house (neither do cell phones for some reason). Also, since it's an old home, and the way it's designed, drilling into the floor isn't an option. I use my computer as a living so it's essential I have fast Internet. I called up Rogers and explained my situation. I said I could be using a router, but with the way my home is built it's next to impossible unless I wire Ethernet into the entire home which means ripping down sections of the walls. I said why not just charge me for a single connection. They refused and even threatened to raise my price to $200.

Needless to say I dropped the Digital TV, and I am planning on dropping their internet as well.

You guys should also read what they are doing with the Iphone. They are ripping off everyone in Canada, to the point where their is a huge news story about it and Apple is threatening to cut rogers off.

w/ Primus I pay 67 a month for Internet (Faster then Bell) Home phone (Keep my number) and unlimited LD... My home phone alone with Bell is 45.00 add another twenty for a LD plan and another 50 for The internet..

Hmmmm 67.00 vs Hmmm 115.00... that does not even mention what I pay for my sat service.. My total bill is well over 200.00 a month...

When I started to see internet usage charges for going over and above their UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD cap?? Unlimited means unlimited right?? hell I I rarely use torrents or download music!

then movies on my bill we never ordered.. my receiver is NOWHERE near a phone line... therefor I cannot order movies directly from the receiver.. I disputed these charges with Ramesh.. only after he personally insulted my wife on the phone... as she was dealing with him first.. He changed his tune once I got on the phone..

To Bell.. I used to be a proponent. now you make me sick to my stomach.. Ohhh and Kevin Crull, you have a voicemail... Yes I have you're number.. if anyone here has a complaint about Bell.. here is the phone number to Bell's President of Residential Service... this info is public record..

Kevin Crull

President - Residential Services (Expressvu satellite TV, Sympatico internet, and wireline phone)

[email protected]

ph: (416) 581-2923

fx: (416) 593-1338

Executive Assistant: Jacqueline Fowler

(416)-581-2953

[email protected]

483 BAY ST. (BTS)

TORONTO, Ontario, M5G 2C9

Wade Oosterman

Pres - Bell Mob.& BDI & Chief Brand Off. (wireless phones)

[email protected]

ph: (905) 282-4944

fx: (905) 282-3553

Assistant: Laura Mihalis 905-282-4945

5099 CREEKBANK ROAD

MISSISSAUGA, Ontario, L4W 5N2

Glad I read this. Rogers gave me a call yesterday, promising to 'take care of me' if I switch over from Bell...even my $100.00 cancellation fee with sympatico.

I really haven't had a problem with Bell...times that I did need to call re: Sympatico, I ended up having some pretty good laughs with the guys and gals in India. Sure some accents are a bit thick, but so are some French accents here in Canada...better listening skills and a good attitude will go a long way. I can only imagine the abuse these people take on a daily basis all because of an accent.

Good Luck Gerritt.

I am not talking about Bell or Starchoice....

again unless you are talking about true free to air

bell, dish network or anything else , it is all against the law in canada to decode their signal

we just have to be happy with the decision to steal their programing...if we can live with that fact, life is good

the government changed to law some years ago the grey area days are long gone..dang the coolsat is down again..........LOL

Nope. Got the letter the other day. The wording is typically convoluted. I'm still not sure if my corporate cell plan still includes the free incoming texts or not. If not I suspect we'll all be shopping for another provider, or coming up with some alternative to the texting. It's only a minor inconvenience to do without.

JF

Yup your right. Heard on the Hews Bell and Telus will charge 15 cents for each incoming text. This will include advertising. This is worth Billions for the companies. Switch now and show your displeasure before they get away with it and others follow. Just like Oil and gas

I would love to reply to this more in depth but I think the thread would get locked pretty quick. Lets just say that I'm not a very big fan of Bell.

Does anyone know of any discount carries for phone and interet in the North Bay area?

I pay $42/mth for home phone (full features) and high speed internet.

A company called CIA or CIA / Cybersurf based in Ottawa.

They are associated with my original isp

called CYBERSURF based in Calgary.

The only downside is that occasionally the phone service is down for a bit.

It runs off my high speed internet cable & through a VoIP box. They've had some sort of bug recently and I can only call out. No incoming calls. Hey, works for me. The wife is a little peeved though. Should be rectified shortly.

Our cell phones (basic plans) are with Fido (owned by Rogers) and cost us more than double

what the home phone & internet costs us. The service has been great, but my contract is up soon & I'll be looking for a cheaper plan for sure.

Terry, do yourself a favour and look into the Nfusion or the NeoSat (NeoSat has patchy IKS support though).

..I was kidding, I got a nfusion when they first came out..coolsat sat in the closet