Fishin' North of 7 with folks from South of 7

TJQ

So, on Thursday, my buddie Tookie and I headed down to a buddies place in Coburg, for my once a summer journey to Southern Ontario for some Largemouth fishing. On the Sat. they put on an informal tourney (appropriately named the "Drunkin' Hawg") and its 50 bucks a boat to get in.. winner takes all. The tourney starts at 5 am... YUKKKK! I've been down for the weekend before a couple of years ago but because BOB (yes you Bob) can't get his dates right I missed a couple of years, but managed to get back down there this year for what is always a very long, tiring, but WONDERFUL weekend. It seemed like every day had interesting twists and turns!

Now this is a great lake with great fishing as far as I'm concerned.. although it seemed to me that all the bass have a siesta between 11 am and 7 pm..... but the early morning and evening fishing was phenomenal.

Also, when some of you see these pictures your gonna know where I was, and I promised the boys I wouldn't reveal their spot, so we will just call it CodPork Lake for lake of a better name. If you really want to know where I was just PM me and ill tell ya, but lets try to keep it off here if we can, I'm sure some folks have been there..

The road in is about 12 miles long, and is 4 wheel drive accessible... if you don't happen to like your vehicle that is... lol. But these good ole boys just drive their trucks right in there like its no problemo, although there were a few that weren't so fortunate.

Here's my "journey" over the very very hot weekend.

To get in, Bob puts a smaller boat on top of the other one, a pretty ingenious way to get two boats and motors and extra gear in!!! I gotta hand it to Bob or "Bubbie" as I call him.. lol if ya need something fixed up right hes the man!

img_1749.jpg

There are a few bad spots to get by, here we cross a river and then get to a pretty large mud hole, that's sure to have claimed a few trucks!!

img_1752.jpg

img_1757.jpg

Finally on Friday Morning tookie and I got out for our first batch of fishing, I love topwater fishing for these, especially when there is lots of 'em. I fished Topwater only all weekend with my HammerHead Lures topwaters .. personally I'd rather catch 1/2 the fish on topwater... most fun ever!!

img_1761.jpg

img_1766.jpg

img_1770.jpg

img_1784.jpg

Managed to meet up with "Bubbie" so we could tell him where the good spots were, he obviously didn't know the lake very well!!! :whistling:

img_1791.jpg

img_1794.jpg

This was a pretty cool sight... a "Mudcat" (South of 7 term I guess...) was along the shore protecting her new hatch of ... hatchlings?? any way these "Barbut" (proper northern latin name) were a blast to watch.

img_1801.jpg

Some Scenery shots

img_1807.jpg

My new/old bud Steve on our way to get some firewood!

img_1811.jpg

The boys all sitting around camp, way way too hot to fish in the afternoon...

img_1815.jpg

img_1816.jpg

img_1817.jpg

img_1818.jpg

This is "Rubbie" , "Bubbies" buddie and my personal morning coffee Barista... thanks bud.. you SAVED my life... I think hes explaining how to tie a Texas bass bass worm rig (LOL now Rubbie, we both know that ain't right eh!!)

Rob also donates a hat for every entrant of the tourney!! every year a different hat... thanks!! Mill Valley Trophies plug plug plug!

img_1825.jpg

Boats going out for the evening fish....

img_1830.jpg

Obligatory sunset mood photo. and the camera gets put AWAY!!!

img_1832.jpg

img_1843.jpg

OK.. its tourney day... now personally... I like tourneys from noon to three, but these guys start at 5 am... UHHHHGGG!!!!

I have appropriately named this photo... "Ungodly Hour"

img_1856.jpg

The fishing was great for our boat, I was in with Bubbies boy Brad (Some users will remember him from the shirtless young man shoots first deer photo... LOL.. I always get him into trouble.. its become a hobby of mine now!! LOL) and Gregs boy Jeff. Two stand-up young men as far as I'm concerned.. I taught them that proper term for a "Stringer" was a really a "Kill Chain" and they provided me with some new lingo that... umm ... I just can't mention here...

Bradley!!

img_1844.jpg

The tourney ended, and we had our fish in, but alas.. too much laughing and not enough fishing took its toll on our final weight. Brad... I told you to take it seriously, we all know how serious I am about my fishing!

img_1861.jpg

img_1863.jpg

Jeff with our kill chain. Hey Jeffy... how many of those did I catch?? LOL

img_1865.jpg

Fish at the weigh in!

img_1869.jpg

Lotsa car toppers on the shore (I actually had car topper envy...)

img_1870.jpg

Brad and Jeffy fish cleaning, they have a great tradition there, they take a collection up and give it to the fish cleaners.. a wonderful way to say thanks for a job well done!! (HINT HINT.... LOL)

img_1873.jpg

The winners... I didn't catch their names, but its the second year for them and then they also got big fish later that evening

img_1880.jpg

Now its FISH FRY Time.. we had three different batters a traditional Rubbie Beer Batter...

img_1884.jpg

Tookies batter and Bubbies as well!

img_1892.jpg

This is Den... who saved my life with a hamburger.....

img_1897.jpg

It was kinda nice to watch them do all the cooking.. lol..

img_1899.jpg

Bobs masterpieces!!

img_1900.jpg

Bob and my bud Greg... Greg is always pouring something for someone!!! LOL.. Gregs also my new philosophy professor... and he lent me 5 bucks to get in the big fish tourney.. although I had to borrow it $2.50 at a time....

img_1821.jpg

After we were done the fry and sitting around with a bellyfull at the other end of the lake, there was a huge puff of smoke. At first we thought someone had put some cleared out trees on their fire, but when it got bigger we grabbed some buckets and went down the lake to see what was going on. Turns out some young men had inadvertently set fire to their island and were frantically trying to put it out. We arrived with buckets just in time and got it under control quickly.

A littlle breeze and dry moss and pine needles and WOOF!!!

img_1903.jpg

img_1904.jpg

img_1905.jpg

img_1906.jpg

img_1907.jpg

img_1908.jpg

img_1911.jpg

img_1912.jpg

img_1913.jpg

Flare ups were everywhere...

img_1915.jpg

img_1916.jpg

img_1917.jpg

The boys were very thankful we happened along when we did, and I think a very valuable lesson was learned.

---------------------------

The biggest air mattress I have ever seen in the back of the truck!

img_1936.jpg

Packing up the two boats to go... boo hoo....

img_1939.jpg

The view from the landing.

img_1942.jpg

A brand new truck stuck on the way in.. while we were going out. It doesn't look too bad, but they were hung up on something pretty bad... no trucks had been able to help so far.

img_1946.jpg

We continued on around the corner and ...

img_1953.jpg

bumped into this behemoth....

img_1957.jpg

We went back to watch him try to pull them out..... and I'm pretty sure they turned their four wheel drive into a two wheel drive while trying from the sound of the rear differential after this attempt....

img_1970.jpg

Another group of young men learned another lesson this weekend as well.... take it easy on the way.

img_1976.jpg

img_1980.jpg

That's about it, but it was an exciting weekend.. I can't recall all the names, there were so many friendly south of 7'ers there, so thanks to all for making this a great trip. Especially you Bob, you do a wonderful job!!!

So let me get this straight. Your buds are putting life and limb on the line to put out a forest fire and you're doing you best imitation of cub reporter Jimmy Olsen of the Cobourg Planet?

Looks like my kinda mission.

Did you catch any Ling in that Lake TJ?

Sure in my home town and not even pop in to say "HI". :huh:

Ron: we blew in and outta town so fast.... lol.. and by monday i was pretty "popped" out.....

Wow....

You think my CRV can handle that drive?? LOL.

You didn't try to kiss any of the guys did ya?

I dunno abou the CRV... its a little low I think.. and I made it through the whole weekend without smooching anyone who didnt want to be smooched... bedside's they would have kicked my butt.

Excellent report TJ.

I like the guy's tent in the back of his pick up :lol:

Aren't you just the caped crusader helping those fire boys out :clapping:

Joey

To be hoinest.. I just had to go.. I just couldnt sit around and wait to see what if anything wa going on... another 1/2 an ahour and there wouldnt have been anything left of the place.

So let me get this straight. Your buds are putting life and limb on the line to put out a forest fire and you're doing you best imitation of cub reporter Jimmy Olsen of the Cobourg Planet?

Looks like my kinda mission.

Roy... we had three buckets and 8 people.. i decided to be the documentarian!!! Plus I had clean pants on....

Let's see:

- Fire?

- Wrecked Trucks?

- Booze?

- Half naked men around a campfire?

and

- TJ?

I wanna know the real story!

Ahhh Marty the rule is... what happens at camp... stays at camp....

I forgot I took this video....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="

</param> <embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>