Niagara River Report- Another Banner weekend

rhare

I spent this weekend down in Niagara falls fishing the river. The weather was nothing less then beautiful and the fishing was GREAT!!

If you have never fished the Niagara before add it to your list of to dos what a incredible body of water. Tons of scrappy fish, wicked scenery and lots of water to fish. Even just hiking around the river is a real blast. now to the fishing.

DSCF1054.jpg

We started on Saturday morning bright and early by hiking along the river and fishing some backwater eddies. The bass where very co operative. we used tubes and must have landed 60+ bass. Nothing overly Hugh but all super scrappy.

DSCF1046.jpg

I was working my tube in a big school of bait when I was pounded I knew right away it was no bass, maybe a laker?? Nope a nice July steelhead in awesome shape. What a fight it must have jumped 6 times. The first steel I have ever caught in July. and the first one on a white tube.

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1047.jpg

Sunday Morning we headed out with Paul Castellano of Cast Adventures. We started working over some shallow water bass areas but the chop on the water was making the topwater bite tough so we decided to go bounce some walleyes before the sun got too high.

The eyes where on. In just over a hour we boated 4 eyes in the 4lbs range and lost 3 more fish. The first 3 drifts produced fish!!

The best coming in at 23" a new PB for me in my young walleye career.

P7060328.jpg

From there we decided to move on a fish for some more bass. This is where paul introduced us to Strike Zone Slammers drop shot bait.

I had seen some of the Mark's stuff on line but never had a chance to get my hands on it. WHAT A BAIT!! If you don't have any get some in your box. In about 30min the 3 of us landed over 30 bass on slammers in various colors including a back to back pair of 20" tanks I landed in a 50 yard section of shore. It was crazy. My buddy started with a tube and got nothing well Paul and I smashed bass on slammer a quick switch and he was killing em too. At the end of the day we had landed well over 60 bass, and that was a tough bite!!! Hats off to Cast Adventures for making another weekend to remember. http://www.castadventures.ca http://www.strikezonetournamentbaits.com

P7060329.jpg

P7060334.jpg

P7060324.jpg

tightlines

Ryan

Edited by troutguy

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report! I keep telling people, tubes will catch any fish that swims. What a nice bonus! Nice pickerel and bass too!! Niagara has a very impressive fishery.Sounds like a great day out on the water. And props to Paul and Cast Adventures.

Great report, pics, and fish!!! :thumbsup_anim:

It looks a lot more comfortable to fish that river now than in January.

that's some of the best times to go coach....I grew up fishing the Niagara, and love it!!!, I know the river very well and have my most fun in the winter I would have to say.

Glad you had a great day fishing Ryan, and thanks for the kudo's on my baits, Pauls a solid angler and good guy, I'm looking forward to getting out with him this year.

NP Mark. I picked up another 4.5lbs smallie last night on Simcoe with the slammer great bait for big bass.

You'll have a blast with Paul thats forsure!

Nice report! I've got some family in Niagara Falls. Maybe I'll have to make a visit this summer!

if you do, shoot me a PM I can turn you on to some good fishin spots no prob, I have over 30 years experience fishing the area :Gonefishing:

• 4 weeks later...
gotta love Paul's ability for finding fish..

i fished the niagara a couple times and love it.. :lol:

by a couple times, you mean more like a couple times a month you might not go fishin right??? :lol: , I can't wait until we hit the steel a couple times a week like last winter...still cracks me up that my neighbours think I am whacked when the boat sits in the driveway almost all summer then it starts to snow and i get out as much as I could :Gonefishing:

gottas hit a couple of my fav shore trashin spots too once the "salmon angler season" is over

by a couple times, you mean more like a couple times a month you might not go fishin right??? :lol: , I can't wait until we hit the steel a couple times a week like last winter...still cracks me up that my neighbours think I am whacked when the boat sits in the driveway almost all summer then it starts to snow and i get out as much as I could :Gonefishing:

gottas hit a couple of my fav shore trashin spots too once the "salmon angler season" is over

oh come on.. i don't fish THAT much!!! i missed 2 days fishing in may... and 1 in march :thumbsup_anim: