Minimalist Fishing

pinerider

From my trailer in the Kawarthas, I go bass fishing in my canoe. 2 paddles, 1 rod and spinning reel, 1 life jacket, 1 Pop'R lure, no net, no tackle box. I paddle for 10 minutes or so to a good spot, either catch fish or don't, (usually do - caught a 2.5 pound smallie on Friday)

I need to add pliers to my list next time, had a time getting the hooks out, fish was ok, though.

Anybody else take the bare minimum of stuff with them when they head out fishing??

Edited by pinerider

I live in London and often fish the downtown areas. I have found over the last year that walking around with a backpack instead of a hand-held tackle box is way easier. You don't have to carry anything but your rod/reel and even if you are wading all your gear is stored on your back.

I often just take a few choice lures, rod/reel, hemostats, and jaw spreaders with me. Jaw spreaders have saved me, not to mention the fish, many times. While they aren't used all that often, they are incredibly handy when you need them. A one trick pony.

One other thing I do is keep all my Rapala boxes and sometimes if I'm fishing, especially just for a short time, I keep the 2 or 3 lures im using in a box or 2 in my pocket so that I don't need to carry anything with me.

Soon as I put on my lifejacket I have sharpening stone, measuring tape, 2pair of pliers, stringer, Normark glove, whistle, line clippers, and fishing licence. When fishing in the kayak I take one plano box of assorted goodies and my camera and that's it.

I can get by with my Rambo Knife...or some dental floss a safety pin a cork and a worm.. :w00t:

No, but I really always keep the stuff to a minimum but always have what I'll need ...small tackle boxes for a quick evening on the river.. or a vest armed to the eyes that weighs as much as my tackle box and anchor combined...[ not good to wear under or over a lifejacket unsafe in a canoe]

:stretcher: :stretcher:

If you coming wit da cano... put da stuff you need in de tupperware ting it float and make less of messes in da cano. :canadian: :canadian:..

OOPS! I let my accent slip...

Randy

OOPS! I let my accent slip...

You really are a newfie aint ya,in a french sheep clothing cloth.LOL

If Im doing a stream thing,I can go with a pack of worms and a rod,other then that,I need everything

Edited by misfish

You really are a newfie aint ya,in a french sheep clothing cloth.LOL

If Im doing a stream thing,I can go with a pack of worms and a rod,other then that,I need everything

You should try on dat vestamine...i got everyting I need on er 2x over.... :clapping:

Newfie naww .French Mom Scottish Dad so I like to drink and talk with hand gestures.. :w00t:

Newfie naww .French Mom Scottish Dad so I like to drink and talk with hand gestures.. :w00t:

What do you call a broken arm on an Italian?

A speech impediment! :w00t:

I'm not happy unless I have 100 lbs of tackle and paraphernalia while shore fishin', and much more than that out in the boat!

I used to fish Speckles with a few spinners & snap swivels stored in a Sucrets tin. That was all ya needed. :rolleyes:

Now, for river smallies..I load a camo fanny-pack stuffed with a plano full of jigs, spinner blades & fin-s minnows & crappie tubes. Leatherman pliers & a pocket knife..fish-on!

Evening bassing..spro frog, a spinnerbait, a Pop-R & a floating Rapala in a Plano box. Plip..plip,plip...KERSPLASH!!!

I'm no minimalist when fishing. My buddy Rob, on the other hand, well, here's his list for creek wading:

When I started fishing with him a few years ago - ultracheap ultralite rod and reel (1), Rapala floating minnow (one extra in case he loses one), a few wormhooks, homemade single strand taken from a length of picture hanging wire and bent to be a wire leader for pike (1), crappy old runners cut with drainage holes for wading (2)

Since I've corrupted him, introduced him to the wonderful world of gearpiggery - all of the above plus a pair of hemostats and a cheap stringer. He used to simply break a supple branch off a riverside bush for a stringer and wedge it under a rock in the river to be recovered on the way out. He also upgraded to a better rod/reel combo that I purchased for $19.95 @ Dick's Sports.

And he really catches fish.

JF

Depends on what I am doing and how far I am going.... If I am going to drive more than 20 minutes I ALWAYS take two rods for that species sometimes 3. Nothing sucks more than being an hour from home and having equipment issues that make someone have to stop fishing. On a longer trip to big water I always take a full pack or vest for the species. I have one pack and or vest for perch, one for bass, one for pike, and a vest and pack for steelhead. Some trips require combos of two packs so I have an inventory of everything and just add a couple of items to the pack most likely to get more fish.... Learned that lesson the hard way when one time we were bass fishing and the salmon were in already but I didn't have any cleos along... The next weekend I had brought both we caught a couple salmon in the early morning and switched to leeches for bass in the early afternoon and did OK too. Pier fishing requires chairs, coolers fishing baskets for the fish... Generally speaking if I have someone along to help with the gas money I wind up supplying them with the bait, rod and reel, hooks, cliplights, sinkers, floats, lunch and beverages so in the end they have no excuse to want to leave earlier as I have tons of everything to keep fishing with....

When I am going to my local bass hole. Everything I take fits into a cooler bag 8"X6"X6 it must work because I had enough bait, split shot, swivels and hooks to catch over 30 largies and smallies in two hours last Saturday morning while I was "working" or I should waiting very patiently, for my last customer to open their store so I finish my route.

pinerider, if that is the stuff you take with you, sooner or later you will be checked by the OPP/CO and you will be fined. Check the thread on OFC where someone got fined $430.00 for not having ownership for the vessel and a flashlight.

carp-starter

You may have missed the word C A N O E in his post (while a safety kit is required ownership or registration is not) :whistling:

Anyway when I'm out I don't usually have one specie in mind or am traveling hard to reach back lakes (in my canoe) so being a minimalist is a recipe for disaster. Our kit (for two on a back lake) includes 5 rods, two tackle boxes, depth finder, GPS, rain gear, life jackets and of course food and water.

Now if I'm out alone for a 30 minute paddle - life jacket, single rod and lure and pliers only if using trebles or barbs are not pinched down.

Edited by Barnie's Band of Gold

I just re-read the regulations and it appears you don't need a flashlight or flares in a canoe not fitted with a motor - my mistake.

However you still need navigation lights or anchor lighting if you are on the water in a canoe at night.

Either way we leave a kit attached to the bottom of the rear seat in our canoes.

Fishing gear is a rod, reel, hemostats, and a two sided Plano box full of assorted tackle.

Dan