2lb 14 oz crappie --> need help quickly

Beats

First of all congratulation :worthy::worthy: . It is a great catch. If I may suggest. Do yourselve a favor, for your own piece of mind. Put it in a plastic bag, go to the post office and have it weighted.. First of all you will know for sure the weight.

Secondly, keep in mind that your dad's scale regardless of the fact how new it is, can has significant error too. It depends on the calibration

Regardless of the outcome you are an OFC record holder :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

First of all congratulation :worthy::worthy: . It is a great catch. If I may suggest. Do yourselve a favor, for your own piece of mind. Put it in a plastic bag, go to the post office and have it weighted.. First of all you will know for sure the weight.

Secondly, keep in mind that your dad's scale regardless of the fact how new it is, can has significant error too. It depends on the calibration

Regardless of the outcome you are an OFC record holder :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

I ran around the house to try and find something with a fixed weight to check the kitchen scales. It took quite a long time since everything is measured in volume. Finally found a 3 oz bottom bouncer and the scale was bang on. I accept this. Here are pics of the fish on the scale after making sure it is accurate. Looks to be 2lbs 2.5 oz. A far cry from the original reading on my digital scale of 2lbs 14 oz that it showed us last night. Can't see that the fish magically lost weight in the freezer. I am content with this and somewhat relieved about not having to go any further with the details.

WhiteCrappieJuly0608031.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608030.jpg

Also, I can't seem to find any taxidermists anywhere in the London area. The replica option seems like a good idea but Im sure it costs about 10x the price. Quite likely I will wind up cooking the thing up tonight or tomorrow and just keep the pictures and the memory of it around. On the one hand a mount would be cool but then I'm wasting the meat of the fish. I suppose I could use my photos to have a replica made at any point of time anyway. And I've never eaten crappy so it seems like a hell of a way to start.

So, i just booked a replica at Advanced to be made. Said it would be roughly 4 months due to all the business they have. He said he has the current record holder at his shop. Real one or a replica, I don't know. He was quite surprised that my fish didn't weigh more than it does and he said they do a lot of crappies at his business and has some molds of fish of the same size. Said their new website should be up shortly and it seems they have tonnes of specimens on location. I briefly thought of taking my fish down and getting a mold made, but I think I would rather just send him some pics and he can use the measurements I gave him to make a sweet replica. I guess crappies tend to lose their colour quickly when frozen and get freezer burn easily, yet he said he did one for Bob Izumi once where the replica was of a bass surrounded by crappies that had been frozen for 7 years... must have a hell of a technique for freezing fish. I think either tonight or tomorrow I'll thaw him out and perhaps take a few more pics before dining on it.

Finally found a 3 oz bottom bouncer and the scale was bang on. I accept this.

I wouldn't. First, assuming that that weight is exactly 3 oz is probably incorrect. More importantly, spring scales typically require weights of over 10% of their capacity to get an accurate reading, so you really didn't verify your scale at all. Certified scales are the only way to go for potential records.

I wouldn't. First, assuming that that weight is exactly 3 oz is probably incorrect. More importantly, spring scales typically require weights of over 10% of their capacity to get an accurate reading, so you really didn't verify your scale at all. Certified scales are the only way to go for potential records.

I understand what you mean, and if the fish was close to the record fish by even a few ounces I would go for a better scale. But it's not. As it sits its less than even the 2nd last record of 2.24 lbs. My conversion puts 2lb 2.5 oz equal to 2.16 lbs. No where near the current record of 2.71 lbs.

I had a series of different weighted bottom bouncers. A few 1 oz and a few 3 oz. I added them onto the scale in various combos and found the scale to be very accurate. I even tried putting on an unopened jars of various products around the house and all were quite accurate. There is no way the fish could possibly weigh over the current record holder. That is the bottom line. Must have been a hell of a fat fish. Notice there's no pics of it :) Perhaps there are more where I found this one.

I can't believe that after what be thousands of views, not a single person has asked where I caught this fish :) And I'm not telling..

BB is 100% right. Only cerified scale will do. I wish I was closer to you to take a "problem" of your hands and drive to the post office myself :whistling:

Well, here's the end of the story. After reading all these posts by people almost pleading with me to get the certified weight of the fish, I went out and did it. I knew the fish wasn't as heavy as the current record holder but I had a nagging guilty feeling for not taking it to a gov't scale and so many people have insisted. It's funny though, seems so many people on here were just as excited (some even more) than myself with this fish and I kinda felt I was going to let some of you guys down if I couldn't be bothered to get a good weigh on the fish. Certainly doesn't help the guy who posted the "This board has lost its way" thread. I highly disagree. Look at how many views my thread got and how quickly, and I can't see a single negative post.

Anyways, here's the pics. It was odd. I took the fish into a convenience store with a post office in the back and I felt kinda awkward waiting in line. But when I asked if I could weigh my frozen fish the guy wasn't even phased. Kinda came off like everyone that day had been by to weigh fish :) He was even kind of into it and was asking me where I caught it and if they taste more like bass or like musky. Kind of a weird comparison. He was even offering me to go behind the counter for better shots, but I declined, knowing the fish wasn't a record.

So, that settles that. Great fish. Hope it tastes alright.

WhiteCrappieJuly0608034.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608035.jpg

Oh, and just so you know, .977 kg = 2.15 lb. But you shoulda seen the one that got away!

Edited by Beats

Well, here's the end of the story.

Oh, and just so you know, .977 kg = 2.15 lb. But you shoulda seen the one that got away!

Awesome fish and great story. :clapping: Now aren't you glad you bowed to peer pressure and got it weighed on a certified scale!! :thumbsup_anim:

In all it's glory. Pics of the thawed out fish and the end result. Tasted quite good. Never had crappie before. My buddy who was there when I caught it came over and ate 1/2 of it and he liked it a lot. Did it up in original Fish Crisp with Labatt 50 in it.

WhiteCrappieJuly0608036.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608037.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608038.jpg

WhiteCrappieJuly0608039.jpg

Case Closed. That's the end of the story. :)

Edited by Beats

So, i just booked a replica at Advanced to be made. Said it would be roughly 4 months due to all the business they have. He said he has the current record holder at his shop. Real one or a replica, I don't know. He was quite surprised that my fish didn't weigh more than it does and he said they do a lot of crappies at his business and has some molds of fish of the same size. Said their new website should be up shortly and it seems they have tonnes of specimens on location. I briefly thought of taking my fish down and getting a mold made, but I think I would rather just send him some pics and he can use the measurements I gave him to make a sweet replica. I guess crappies tend to lose their colour quickly when frozen and get freezer burn easily, yet he said he did one for Bob Izumi once where the replica was of a bass surrounded by crappies that had been frozen for 7 years... must have a hell of a technique for freezing fish. I think either tonight or tomorrow I'll thaw him out and perhaps take a few more pics before dining on it.

First off,great catch!That is one prime Sac a Lait!The finest freshwater fish you will ever taste.Second,mention this website and send a link to this thread and all the buzz it generated.I have heard of Advanced and I live 14+ hours south of there.Maybe an OFC discount or an advertisement with the community would help them out also.Good job!

Joe

Beats...not jumping on the bandwagon at all......

What an exellent catcth and one to tell your grandkids about one day...

For that matter...bet your Dad is doing enough bragging for ya already......

WTG.....Nice/awesome catch........you should be proud

We are about you Bud!

I'm glad you did it or you would have 2000 forum members hen pecking you for who knows how long.

I guess fishermen are as bad as nagging wives except it's not about getting the lawn mowed.

Too bad about the record ... but the mount will serve as your own family record for many years (or genrations) to come ... and I know you'll be thrilled with the job they do at Advanced ... they truly are masters.