2lb 14 oz crappie --> need help quickly

Beats

the pciture looks like a white to me too going by the spine count on the dorsal.

nowhere near a world record but it could be the canadian as other pointed to.

world record is 6# for black and 5+# for a white

So I am confused as to the record system. If it's the OFAH that is in charge, their website only seems to record black crappie and there is no listing for white crappie entries. Yet when you go to http://ontariofishing.net/fishrecords.html you see a white crappie record. So what's the deal? Basically this fish is still alive and if there is going to be some big runaround and then I find out that there isn't a catagory, I'd rather go drive out and release it alive... while I still can.

"From OFAH website Ontario record 2.24 lb, so yours is bigger"

2.14lbs is bigger than 2.24lbs???

White or Black, it is not a record but certainly a trophy in anyone's book!

2lbs 14OZ

2oz short of 3lbs..

G

Not sure if this helps but what the heck.

Cant tell by the pics.

The white crappie, Pomoxis annularis Rafinesque, 1818, is native throughout the eastern half of Canada and the United States, and has been widely introduced in the west as well.

The dorsal fin of the white crappie has six spines. The maximum recorded length for a white crappie is 53.0 cm (21 in), with a maximum weight of almost 2.35 kg (more than 5.18 lb); it can live as long as ten years.[3]

These species prefers slower-moving water, often turbid, whether a backwater of a small creek or a large lake.

When spawning, the white crappie deposits its eggs on plant surfaces[3] or in poorly-defined nests in shallow water.[6]

This very prolific fish may overpopulate small bodies of water under 40 ha (100 acres) in area.[10]

[edit] Black crappie

The black crappie, Pomoxis nigromaculatus (Lesueur, 1829), is very similar to P. annularis in size, shape, and habits, except that it is darker, with a pattern of black spots. It is most accurately identified by the seven or eight spines on its dorsal fin. The oldest recorded age of a specimen is fifteen years, although seven years is a more typical life span for the species.[4] [5]

The black crappie's range is uncertain, since it has been so widely transplanted, but it is presumed to be similar to the white crappie's; as of 2005, populations existed in all of the lower 48 states.[4] [11]

The black crappie tends to prefer clearer water than the white crappie does. Its diet, as an adult, also tends to be less dominated by other fishes than that of the white crappie.[4] [11]

The breeding season varies by location, due to the species’ great range; breeding temperature is 14‒20 °C (58‒68 °F) and spawning occurs between April and June.[5] Spawning occurs in a nest built by the male, who guards the eggs and young.[4] [7] [5]

OK, so here's the deal. Does the fish need to be killed and weighed in order to be considered a record? Because from what I can see there is no official record kept for white crappie. There is a listed current record weight, but the OFAH site doesn't list white crappie as a possible entry. If this is the case, then I am happy to just take pics with measurements and pics with me holding it on a scale and then go and release the fish. I don't want to kill the fish unless it can definitely be a certified record.

OK, so here's the deal. Does the fish need to be killed and weighed in order to be considered a record? Because from what I can see there is no official record kept for white crappie. There is a listed current record weight, but the OFAH site doesn't list white crappie as a possible entry. If this is the case, then I am happy to just take pics with measurements and pics with me holding it on a scale and then go and release the fish. I don't want to kill the fish unless it can definitely be a certified record.

The stomach contents may need to be examined for it to be a record.

Contact the BassPro shop in Vaughn, they may want it for their aquarium if it's not too far from you.

Edited by Greencoachdog

I sure hope it is a white bro. I dont know if its camera flash but it looks like a white to me. not sure about the crossbreeds in these fish's either, I am pulling for you buddy. Even if it is a black beauty crappie. i counted 6 on the dorsal. that would put in in between. hope she is a white man. letter get tested, she doesnt have a breeding season left in er anyway.