What the heck

bassjnkie

Let me start the Ontario prints a great, legible regulations. My problem is no one reads them!!

There are sooooo many questions, that make me think why even print it. Stupid questions like, how many can I keep, when does pike opener open, what is the slot size for walleye, can I keep more than one musky and on, and on, and on. Why ask if it is all in detail in the regs.

Am I the only one that see this.

Just my 2c

Some people ( myself included) dont have a copy of the newest regs ... The regulations site may take forever for some people with dial up to get opened ... Anyone knows that if you post a question on here its going to get answered right away... So instead of wasting precious gas to drive and get the regs maybe the questions are asked on here ?

So instead of wasting precious gas to drive and get the regs maybe the questions are asked on here ?

Sorry....i dont buy that. When most people go fishing they are getting bait....and last time i checked most bait shops have them handy. I think most of it is just laziness to actually open it up and try to read it.

Pick em up....they are free!

I understand that a lot of people ask about regs on this forum, but wasn't this forum created to ask other anglers for help.

Its just like a person asking where to fish or how ask about gear and how to use them. We have a ton of those questions. Does that mean people don't read or are lazy?

just my 2c

Edited by marcers75

For one thing you should be well aware of the regs and all the rules if you are going to go fishing,cause if you try to say to the conservation officer,that "oh sorry sir i didnt know there was a slot size on walleye" he wont buy that and it will usually make the situation much worse,ignorance is no excuse,everyone should go out of their way to make sure they have a copy or at least print it out on-line,i have at least 3 coppies,one at home one in the car,and of course one in the boat !!!!! you said it right glen!!!!

Some people ( myself included) dont have a copy of the newest regs ... The regulations site may take forever for some people with dial up to get opened ... Anyone knows that if you post a question on here its going to get answered right away... So instead of wasting precious gas to drive and get the regs maybe the questions are asked on here ?

Sounds a little lazy to me.....If you have the time and the gas to go fishing, work, buy beer etc., then you have the time and the gas to get a copy of Fishing Ontario.....pick it up almost anywhere particularly in your area.....

Yes, in most cases you will get an answer from the great people we have here, most of them very sound (the answers, not necessarily the people)... :whistling: . But, I think that if I was out there trying to decide what to fish for when and where and how much I could keep, if I was so inclined, then I would want the info first hand especially if I ran into a CO or OPP on the water, but that's just me.....

I see people asking questions about regulations on this site as a positive thing. They are reading them, and getting confused. They want more info, and usually after hours when the MNR is closed for the day.

Not much of an issue up here, but our CO's still run into people that have no clue about the regs., or that they changed 8 yrs. ago, but our zone is probably the size of half of southwestern Ontario, which has how many zones????????????? At least 6 with Lakes Erie and Ontario included.

Oh yeah, we have zone 9 also(Superior).

Most of the questions I read on here are about "boundaries", not catch or possession limits.

I see people asking questions about regulations on this site as a positive thing. They are reading them, and getting confused. .....

I agree too :clapping:

To some ppl, it may be simple to understand, but not necessarily to everyone. We have all the laws on paper too, why do we need lawyers?... we have all the medical info on paper too, why do we need doctors? Ok those are exaggerating... but the point is some ppl have more experienced and/or understand more than others.

And frankly, some of the details of the fishing regulation can be quite confusing.... like those "the friday before the 4th Saturday" (ok it sounds easy just reading one... but when the whole page is full of phrases like that, it gets confusing).... like where exact is the zone boundaries.... like where exactly some of those exception sanctuaries/no-fish zone if u don't know those local area well... etc

I know the dates i need to know and i also have high speed internet so i cant get what ever reg i want within seconds ..... I havent bought "BAIT" to fish with since i was 10 catching perch ( if i want worms i can get them myself ) .... i see nothing wrong with people asking for regs on this site. Its not lazyness, its just closer to ask on here than drive and get some regs... If i can get an answer within 5 mins id rather do that than drive 15 mins to get a copy of the regs. you people need to lighten up and help people out ... Theres also books on how to catch pike but people still ask the questions on here and nobody freaks out saying they should go buy a book... a question is a question and there is always another resource than this site to find the answer ..... Thats what makes this site great is that you can ask people that you see posts from every day some info just like you were talking to a good friend...

Asked myself the same question more then once. Conclusion: Sometimes you just can't locate the answer to the question in the regs book, it may be there...somewhere so the poster of a question gives up and asks the question on OFC. So what better place to ask than here?

I agree the regs can be a big vague. Especially when it comes to the boundaries of sanctuary/no fish zones. If you are not familiar with the area then you are not likely to know exactly where they area talking about.

I don't think anyone here really gets upset about people asking regs questions. I think generally people on this site believe anglers should be self-sufficient. Its just like people asking for a honey hole, I think we'd all rather see you go out and do the work to find that special spot.

As for RichyB, no one is asking you to drive 15 minutes just to pick up a copy of the regulations, but maybe the next time you are buying bait, at Canadian Tire, or your local tackle shop you'll pick one up. The regs has a lot of useful information and specific details that may accidentally be left out in a post.

The other benefit of the what are the regs??????questions is that the answers do educate us on what are the rules. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. It is dumb in two ways.......one that you are silly for not asking it, secondly it is dumb because it is not voiced or rather ...mute.