no fishing at humber bay park?

bbnotty

I'll try to make this short but i am a little ticked. My friend asked me for a spot to take his son, he wanted to try and fish for carp and i remember walking through that park and seeing carp. So i told him to go there and try. He went to the park with his son yesterday (sunday) evening and after a couple of hours a lady yells at them to stop fishing as there is no fishing along the shoreline at that park. So he packs up his stuff and he and his son start walking to the car when this lady stops him yelling at him that she is from the toronto conservation authority and there is no fishing here and that she tells him that this is the second day that she has seen him there with his son. She also told him to never come back to the park or he would get a heavy fine. needless to say he was a little confused as he didn't see any signs stating no fishing and there were other people fishing and this was his first time there but she says she has been watching him at that spot for a few days. Now if i had known that there was no fishing in that park i wouldn't have sent him there. He says this lady was very rude and he tried to tell her that this was his first time there and that he saw no signs but she just yelled at him to leave or face a fine. Why was he targeted and not the other fisherpeople in the park? He had a couple of small bags of garbage, he likes to clean the area he fishes as that would set an example for his son.

Have we lost another area to fish?

Berge

p.s. i'm at work so will not be able to respond until later.

Funny that someone from TRCA would bark at your friend for fishing there..

I fish Humber Bay quite regularly and have never been told to move. The port authority would have a say in this, but I don't think they patrol that far away from downtown.

Have him ask her to produce proof that you're not allowed to fish there next time, I'd be interested to see how this progresses.

cheers!

HD

Sounds like she was all bark with no (legal) bite (easy to say now I know). Remember some people in the big smoke wanted to prevent kids from playing road hockey. Now someone didn't want a father and son to spend an afternoon fishin' :Gonefishing: . Some people just like to spoil other people's fun.

Ask for ID, too. Any civil servant being rude is not to be tolerated. Only officers of the law can enforce fishing regulations..not employees of a conservation district.

Ask to see her birder's license too, and then tell her to seak professional help.

I get a kick out of messing with the port authority this way! They're all glorified night watchmen who didn't make the academy cause they're mentally unstable.

Fishing there is permitted. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just give 'er.

HD

Fishing is fine there and I'll put bets on the fact that this "lady" has nothing to do with any type of conservation authority...Just anothoer nutbar who should have been told at the time to get lost. Tell your buddie if that ever happens again call the Police. Remind him there are laws against harrassing people fishing. They will get rid of her.

I think your Friend has unfortunately run into a Lower Etobicoke nutcase!

It is unfortunate that she was able to ruin their outing this way, but he probably did the right thing by removing his young son from this person.

Anyone of any real authority would not possibly have acted in the manner that she did.

Shes wrong and as someone else has mentioned- breaking the law by harrassing someone angling.

I live up the road from the park and think I wil try some carping afterwork this week and she if she starts one with me.

Do us all a favour and toss her in the harbour.

:)

Guest Johnny Bass

Apparently there were arguments with boaters and fishermen from shore on rivers and guess who won? The boaters..I think thats why some river mouths have restricted fishing.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Better start getting used to City property being flagged for No Fishing under the Trespass to Property Act...These signs went up at a nearby rivermouth recently...

Which rivermouth is that?

Apparently there were arguments with boaters and fishermen from shore on rivers and guess who won? The boaters..I think thats why some river mouths have restricted fishing.

That reminds me of a couple weeks ago when I was fishing in Port Dover from the pier. Port Dover is home of Lake Erie's largest commercial fishing fleet on the Canadian side. It's also home to a perch derby every spring from the pier.

Anyway, this boat pulls up right where we are fishing. He says he is going to park his boat there. We move over. Another guy yells "hey there's another boat parking there soon" .. we come back 2 hours later and I ask the guy where's this boat that's pulling in? He says it's coming. I say well we can fish here til it gets here then. He then goes on a rant and informs me that "Port Dover isn't a fishing community, it's a boating community"

I find that very funny - I lived there for 10 years of my life and it was always a fishing community. Boaters are tards! I don't mean people who have boats to fish out of, I mean people who have boats to waste their money and show off how they stupidly waste their money. I should have went back that night and accidentally untied the ropes to their boats!

Well, my friend having never been there before and also being with his son i think made the right decisionto just walk away. But i think i'm going to go for a carp outing myself later this week and see if i run into her. I know that many people fish at that park because i have seen people fishing there before. i guess it would be kind of sad if they really closed that park to fishing as it's a decent place to picnic and fish. The way he explained it i don't think he had much of a chance to talk at all, due to her yelling at him and threatening him with a fine. He just wanted to remove his son from the situation.

Berge

I believe I may have run into the same lady a few years ago, though she was less aggressive. Sounds like someone with a grudge against fisherpeople to me. Ask her for ID and then politely tell her to mind her own business.

I believe I may have run into the same lady a few years ago, though she was less aggressive. Sounds like someone with a grudge against fisherpeople to me. Ask her for ID and then politely tell her to mind her own business.

TRCA is not a governing agency. They have no right to tell anyone where or when to fish. They could politley suggest you read the fishing regulations if in fact you were doing something wrong....which in this case, I don't think they were.

I'd go back to the same spot if I was him, and ask a few more questions this time. She can be fined for interfering with legal fishing.....I would have her charged, just to teach her a lesson.

Sinker