Mini Rain Report

snagmaster

Hey guys, Johny Bass and I hit the kawarthas yesterday afternoon for a half day of fishing.......Johny was suppose to head out with another OFNer (sinker) but they cancelled there plans do to the weather man calling for rain. At noon the skys were still sunny here and I was buggin to fish...I called johny and said lets hit the lake, who cares about a little rain...He was down....weather man changed the forcast to less then 1mm....ya right!!

As soon as we got to the launch it started to rain ....lol.....just our luck.....was pulling out of the launch and johny looks down into two FOW and sees a $5 bill....He reaches down ,soaking his sweater and pulls the bill from the lake.....Thought it was his lucky day forsure

IMG_0730.jpg

Hit the first section of the lake that was producing earlier this season but the wind and sideways rain made for crappy boat control to present our jigs properly.......We ripped it to a spot I had on another part of the lake that was windblocked......Started working the 11 foot weedline with our jigs and soon after the first fish was in the boat

IMG_0734-1.jpg

put up a good tussle for a 2.5lber

threw out a marker and a couple min later another I hooked another one about 1lb....the fish were biting really light due to the cold front and rain....The whole time we were fishing Johny kept saying how he never does weel on coldfront rainy days and I agree ....really got to work for your fish in my opinion

Kept peppering the weedline with jigs and I hit another 2lber a little while later

IMG_0733-1.jpg

At this point Johny was Questioning why he wasnt getting any, even tho they were really not "ON"....The only difference was my jig head was green and his was pink.....couple minutes later I hooked into a fiesty aprox 7lb musky...Faught it for a minute ...it took a few jumps and spit out my jig and bent the hook right open....after that fish I finally convinced johny to switch his Jig head and soon after he hooked a 1lber....atleast we had the skunk out of the boat on this rainy day.

IMG_0731.jpg

scary pic ehhhh!!!...lol

we fished another half hour and I hooked one more small walter and we called it a day as we were both soaked to the bone......all in all we landed 5 walleye and a 5 dollar bill in 5 hours...it was tough.

Now johny and I are both convinced that 90% of the time the fishing is very tough in the rain ....well atleast for us anyway...It was alot of fun none the less and hope there is some better weather this weekend.

Thanks for reading and goodluck on the water

Edited by snagmasteral

Guest Johnny Bass

It was not Sinker I was supposed to go with. It was another board member.

I find $5 right at the launch in 2-3 feet of water!Another reason to wear polarized glasses. You never know what you can find.lol I thought it was my lucky day but it wasn't meant to be.

I started out with a rockbass and a few perch. After that it went dead.

Al keeps telling me that there are rocks on the bottom. I'm like, I'm not even making contact with the bottom. He says sure you are, but I wasn't! He was getting steady bites I was getting nothing.

He got like 30 bites I had 2!!! Then I finally noticed his jigs were a bigger size than mine and a different color. So I try them. On my first cast I get a hit, but no hook up. Worked it but still wasn't reaching bottom. I think it had to do with the fact I was at the back of the boat and the way the drift was going. Couldn't work the weed line properly.

I kept trying and finally was rewarded with a pickerel.

All in all the fishing was slow and Al outfished me. :blush:

The conditions were horrible but I will get him next time! Hey Al I left my BPS white hat in your truck!

LoL ... of the many years that I have been on online fishing boards ... that pic is something I haven't seen before haha

Great job toughing it out guys! Nice to see that you're rewarded with some fish as well. The pic with Johnny wearing the rain jacket isn't that scary ... wait until he takes it off ;) haha joking.

Guest Johnny Bass
LoL ... of the many years that I have been on online fishing boards ... that pic is something I haven't seen before haha

Great job toughing it out guys! Nice to see that you're rewarded with some fish as well. The pic with Johnny wearing the rain jacket isn't that scary ... wait until he takes it off ;) haha joking.

:angry: LOL!!!

I'm the undertaker of fishing.lol Fishing in those rain suits is like fishing in plated armor!!! Very uncomfortable!

Doods,

There's been a few cases of counterfeit $5'ers going around in your neck of the woods and up here too.

For verification that your's is worth a thing, you best send it up here to me to check it out.

My address is sent, check your pm's.

Guest Johnny Bass
Doods,

There's been a few cases of counterfeit $5'ers going around in your neck of the woods and up here too.

For verification that your's is worth a thing, you best send it up here to me to check it out.

My address is sent, check your pm's.

Sorry Moosebunk. I already spent it on coffees and bagels for us on the way back!

nice way to start off the day..catching a 5er, way to tough it out in the rain, I was at camp Mon evening to Wed and the whacky weather has the fishin a bit goofed up to say the least..looks like you guys stuck with it and did pretty good under the tough conditions :Gonefishing:

Hey Alex/ Johnny,

How hard was the rain?

How strong was the wind?

Was there some sunny breaks in between or was it constant dark clouds?

Any Lightning or thunder at all?

Too bad can't get out on weekends except mondays, I can't wait for bass season to open soon.

We all can continue to learn from this!

Josh

Edited by bassfighter

Guest Johnny Bass
Hey Alex/ Johnny,

How hard was the rain?

How strong was the wind?

Was there some sunny breaks in between or was it constant dark clouds?

Any Lightning or thunder at all?

Too bad can't get out on weekends except mondays, I can't wait for bass season to open soon.

We all can continue to learn from this!

Josh

Rained pretty hard. Wind was not that bad in the sheltered area. No sunny breaks. No thunder, no lightning.

If I learned anything? I learned the fish are inactive and on bottom in the rain. Fish on bottom and fish super slow......