Swear to God.....

Spiel

.....I swear to God it takes me more days to get ready for a trip than the trip itself will last. I mean getting clothing laundered and organized, getting all the camping and cooking gear together, grocery and beverage shopping. Then there's all the boat crap and fishing gear not to mention ensuring the vehicle is in top working order. Then there's the numerous trips back and forth to the local shops for all the things I need and the things I keep forgetting. Do you know what I mean or is it just me? Oh and this year I also have a dog whose needs will need tending. :wallbash:

Oh and.........

I also had four rods to build and complete cause they're going with me too!

It's true.

And after all that preparation,

Then pretend it's "O.K" when you:

1. Get skunked

2. Get rained on (big rain)

3. Get sick (or grieviously hungover)

4. Forget something important

5. Have to deal with other people who suck

6. Etc.

Edited by SNAG

5. Have to deal with other people who suck

HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG!

I know what you mean, last year on a camping trip i told the other boat operator who didnt know the lake....stay in the middle of the lake because of rocks...yeah yeah.....WHAM smashed the scag, not once but twice on rocks...not bad if truck is close by, but 2'15hours away...err....plus the other guy decided it would be good to throw a gerry can on the fire to try to get a fire going.....ERRRRR....people who suck....dont realize until they are out there that they are full of it! :wallbash:

Spiel.... I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

I have a fly-in next week with 3 others. I'm taking care of all the groceries so we don't double up on things. Trying to figure out what 4 of us will eat for 7 days and be sure we don't go too overboard or not have enough is a days worth of thinking in itself.

Sunday was a half day sorting gear also.

No trips to the store yet. Don't have one to go too.

Where are you off too???

Where are you off too???

Well where I'm off to Drew is the OFC Lakair gathering, fun times for sure. Where you fly'n in to?

Oh and Brian I gave up drinking two years ago this August but I may indulge myself for one or two cold ones. :D

Its human nature to go overboard when going away from home for a week or so. I tend to pack things back in the truck every time that i say, man, didnt need that, didnt need that.....uhm, why did we bring this???, Ya just dont want to get caught on the once a year trip without absilutely everything and then ya end up overdoing it, ive become a guru for packing light the last few years. Vehicle maintanance is a must, ........boat and car, food (I ALWAYS bring too much and end up throwing away things) , clothing and gear. Start there and the rest is fluff and you could probbaly do without it.

....I don't think there's much I could leave behind. Clothing is minimal but all weather is covered. Fishing gear, a must! I've taken enough food for two dinners and I'll be there for five days so I'm definitely light there....LOL A portable BBQ and a single burner naptha stove rounds out the gear. Sleeping in my conversion van so that's easy. :) My trouble most of the time is trying to remember where I stowed things from last year. :huh:

HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG!

I know what you mean, last year on a camping trip i told the other boat operator who didnt know the lake....stay in the middle of the lake because of rocks...yeah yeah.....WHAM smashed the scag, not once but twice on rocks...not bad if truck is close by, but 2'15hours away...err....plus the other guy decided it would be good to throw a gerry can on the fire to try to get a fire going.....ERRRRR....people who suck....dont realize until they are out there that they are full of it! :wallbash:

John Gierach said it best:

"Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip."

.....I swear to God it takes me more days to get ready for a trip than the trip itself will last. I mean getting clothing laundered and organized, getting all the camping and cooking gear together, grocery and beverage shopping. Then there's all the boat crap and fishing gear not to mention ensuring the vehicle is in top working order. Then there's the numerous trips back and forth to the local shops for all the things I need and the things I keep forgetting. Do you know what I mean or is it just me? Oh and this year I also have a dog whose needs will need tending. :wallbash:

Oh and.........

I also had four rods to build and complete cause they're going with me too!

That my friend, is the beginning of old age.

Perty soon, you won't think it is worth the bother.

Nope .. not just you :)

I start piling the 'important' stuff in the living room about a week (or more) in advance ... unless I am getting back from a trip I plan to 're-run' with two weeks ... in which case it stays out .... and it never ceases to amaze me just how many trips to get 'ready' - despite having over 40 years of accumulating every imaginable amenity ... there ALWAYS the new ideas from the last outing that must be prepared ...as the day of departure approaches the excitement (and supplies) mount until finally its time to try and get just a couple hours sleep before leaving - which of course almost never happens - or is broken up by a look at the clock every ten minutes and the fear that you'll finally fall asleep and sleep right through the alarm ... so ... get up make a pot of coffee and wait till the agreed to time for departure .... and I wouldnt trade it for the world

Well where I'm off to Drew is the OFC Lakair gathering, fun times for sure. Where you fly'n in to?

Oh and Brian I gave up drinking two years ago this August but I may indulge myself for one or two cold ones. :D

You guys have a gathering... oops. :blink: Yeah.. slipped me mind. Have a great go.

Heading north myself, to the Attawapiskat. Praying the bugs calm down a little.

Oh I hear ya Chris. It started Saturday for me and I have three more days to go. I have my list of "buy" things and "take" things (things I already have and need to bring). I did some of the buying today and packed some of the take things today.

We set up the tent and gazebo to make sure no holes or tears (also to refresh our memory how to set that monstrosity up), inflated the mattress to make sure no leaks, then packed it all up again. Tomorrow will consist of packing clothes (hot, cold and rainy weather), getting the dry food in order and and packing that, then the day before we leave I have to buy the perishables and ice so I can pack the cooler. Then its finding room in the truck and boat for everything. I had to make a run for charcoal today and tomorrow is the liquor store for Paulies beer and bailey's :D

Paul has been getting the rods, reel, tackle and boat gear ready so I don't need to do that, whew!!

Hopefully I'll be ready and not forget anything by Friday afternoon.

I'll have plenty of food so don't worry, I'll feed ya if you run low.

Joey

You're on the money bud. It's always an adventure for me. This time is a little more of an issue with the youngin comin up. I gotta make sure I have all the things the wife wants me to bring (sunscreen, warm clothes, juice boxes, etc) AARGH!

Can't wait to take off . . .

it's like that for me as well even when i'm only going on day trips ... i'd plan on sleeping early the night before so i'd be full of energy the next day ... then i'll end up sleeping at 2-3am just wandering around the house thinking what i have left unpacked ...

but i guess that just makes the wait to the actual trip alittle shorter :D

I usually throw it all together an hour before the trip. LOL which 99% of the time means forgetting several important things. I'm just not organized.

Ive got a cousin like you, he usually ends up giving me that extra half hour to an hour to check and double check everything while waiting for him the morning of a trip lol. So there is an underlying advantage to his ways. He always shows up with a round of timmies and an apology for everyone waiting HEHE Do you by any chance go out drinking the night before and sleep the whole ride to the cabin as well LOL