Multi-tools

kickingfrog

I noticed an add in a fishing magazine celebrating the 25th anniversary of Leathermans multi-tool (Wow, time flies!). I have the original (with the bit adapter), the wave and the micro. The wave is the one that I use the most when camping because it has locking blades.

I haven't used many of the other brands out there, so: What are your likes and dislikes for multi-tools? Do you prefer the real original Swiss army?

Can you tell that it's 5 in the morning and I've been up for a couple hours because I can't sleep?

I almost bought one of the anniversary edition PST's when i saw them about a month ago but i didn't think it was for me because i like to use my stuff and don't baby anything.

I have mostly leatherman brand multitools. One original PST from about 15 years ago, maybe more. a PST2, Charge Ti, a micro, and a wave which is my least favorite..too cheap feeling compared to the other full size models.

I tried 3 Gerbers and i won't be trying another, one full size and two pocket size. The only one i can name is the keychain model which is the Solstice. Gerbers okay but don't feel as solidly made, i don't think any of the imitation brand multitools are as well made/designed as a real leatherman. just like Visegrips and Channel-locks, nothing equals the originals.

I forgot about swiss army. good knives but i'm always so disappointed when a plastic side broke, cracked or started chipping or wearing away which happens to all of them. The metal sided models never appealed to me. One day when i have a bag of money to blow, i might be tempted to get a super geek novelty model that i saw on tv, it has absolutely everything and it's about 5-6" wide.

Edited by j ace

For me the Swiss Army knives lack of locking blades is an issue (Need all my digits for spherin'). I've never thought wave as "cheap feeling", but that's me, and a difference of opinion makes a horse race. Of course I own a better "pocket" knife, better pliers and better screw drivers, but I'm not bringing all of them on a canoe trip or carrying them in my tackle box.

I own both Leathermans and Gerbers, and prefer the Gerbers hands down... much better quality IMO. I think I have every model of Leatherman and Gerber, my favorite is the 700 series Gerber Fisherman. I use it for both Saltwater and Freshwater fishin, very high quality cutting blades on it too!

Never that impressed with the Swiss Army knife.

None of them ever appealed to me. I have a small tool box in my truck that I can do almost anything with and just a few hand tools in the boat. There is not too much you can do on the water anyways so I have no need for a lot of tools aboard.

A good knife is always a must. I have three in the truck and 5 in the boat :)

I like the 2 $5 CTC multi-tools I have. The pliers are large and have come in handy, bottle opener is great, no locking blade though. I leave them sitting around and would never feel too bad about loosing them.

My small swiss army does have a locking blade, sissors and a few useless items. Its small and I do not have to worry about loosing it: $15

PS: it came with a salmon emblem on the side that is a bit of a mystery because it is not geared for fishing.

forrest

This is my Gerber 700 series Fisherman:

DSC01184.jpg

Very long needle nose pliers for easy hook removal.

Fiskars scissors for cutting braided line

File w/ hook sharpener groove (other side)

Smooth and serrated blades (razor sharp!)

Screw drivers

Awl

Bottle opener

Replaceable wire cutter blade

Crimping tool

I can have a hook out of a fish before a Cat can lick his :asshat:

All tools lock in place.

Stores in a nylon sheath on my belt, always at my finget tips!

Edited by Greencoachdog

I started out years ago with a Leatherman PST (got it from my in-laws, best gift they ever got me!) and now use a Charge Ti.

Wouldn't use anything else, the handles on the Charge Ti are much more robust than any of the stamped handles out there.

Burt :)

I own both Leathermans and Gerbers, and prefer the Gerbers hands down... much better quality IMO. I think I have every model of Leatherman and Gerber, my favorite is the 700 series Gerber Fisherman. I use it for both Saltwater and Freshwater fishin, very high quality cutting blades on it too!

Never that impressed with the Swiss Army knife.

Agreed... I have the Gerber recoil (spring loaded pliers) and love the thing... great when when you have a fish, all you have to do is press the button and remove the hook!

This is my Gerber 700 series Fisherman:

DSC01184.jpg

Very long needle nose pliers for easy hook removal.

Fiskars scissors for cutting braided line

File w/ hook sharpener groove (other side)

Smooth and serrated blades (razor sharp!)

Screw drivers

Awl

Bottle opener

Replaceable wire cutter blade

Crimping tool

I can have a hook out of a fish before a Cat can lick his :asshat:

All tools lock in place.

Stores in a nylon sheath on my belt, always at my finget tips!

Geez GCD, I never realized how serious you take this stuff! :blink:

I pity the fool that speaks ill of a Gerber 700 series Fisherman.

Around 1994 I watched a documentary on Canadian Engineers clearing Booby Traps around a water pump house in Croatia on the Fifth Estate as my friend WO Dan Hartford narrated as one of his men was cutting a trip Wire with a Leatherman. Danny slyly mentioned that QUOTE " his soldier had bought the Leatherman with his own money because the Army didnt see fit to buy it for their Soldiers. Within a Month the Engineers were given a leatherman which became our most important tool. A few years later they went with Gerbers, but after a couple of years they went back to Leatherman because the Gerber would pinch the hand and the jaws would break. I some how kept my leatherman as they are a returned piece of kit that has to be signed for. My Opinion, leatherman if you got the money, or Carolina selling in CTC. On sale this week with a decent rugged knife.