Towing your boat with a smaller vehicle.

ccmtcanada

Bly and I are headed up to Lakair next week and will be towing the boat for a 4 to 5 hour drive. We've taken the boat locally (an hour at the most) without any problems, but I've always wondered about the transmission.

Before I go on, here's some specs on the towing vehicle and boat/trailer

- Towing vehicle - 1998 Honda CRV - Towing capacity of only 1,000 lbs.

- Boat/Trailer and motor weighs under a thousand pounds.

Now, I understand that the transmission already has a "cooler"....in that it does route the tranny fluid to the rad and back again. The question is that should one get a secondary cooler "just to be safe"? I read that tranny fluid should be around 200F, which is the optimal temp. Could adding a secondary cooler bring the temp down too much because I also read that fluid that is too cold will become thicker and reduce the overall efficiency of the transmission? Another question is if you have one installed to keep the temps down in the summer, will this have negative implications in the winter when temperatures are much colder....hmmm...

Another question....

I have read that when towing uphill, to take the vehicle out of overdrive. The explanation is that by having the engine RPM's run higher, it's pumping fluid more rapidly through the rad to keep the fluid cool. That makes sense to me, but it also makes sense that having the RPMs higher generates more heat....what gives here?? hehe.

In order to make this a safe trip, I am toying with adding an aftermarket tranny cooler...have an estimate for one installed for around $116 bucks. The CRV will be in for a new timing belt, water pump and tranny fluid flush and fill (all overdue). New tires were put on it a few months ago. It's just that tranny cooler....decisions decisions....

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Hey Cliff,

If it tows fine to the k-lakes then you should be fine going to Lakair. I wouldn't add an aftermarket cooler. As for overdrive, I find it's okay to use provided the transmission isn't making any more shifts than it normally would. You probably already have a feel for what it is likely to do. If you're approaching or decending a steep hill, take it out of overdrive for a lower gear ratio... more power to the wheels going up & more engine braking coming down. If you find the transmission wants to shift out of overdrive on a flat surface (wind/slight inclines) then you are best off leaving it out of overdrive.

-Brian

Spend the $ and get a tranny cooler put in. For what you are pulling you do not need a very big one but it is well worth the $ and piece of mind.

As for towing in overdrive, no real problem unless your tranny is constantly shifting in and out which will lead to tranny failure. If tranny is shifting in and out all the time by all means kick the overdrive off.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I know very little about engines, but have learned a lot researching on the web and from the responses here (which I guess is also researching the web....doh!). For instance, I learned that the heat in the transmission is generated from the constant shifting, and not the RPM of the engine. I know....easy stuff, but to a guy like me it's like well.....fishing from a boat....lots to learn on both!

ccmt you stated that - "- Boat/Trailer and motor weighs under a thousand pounds."

Do not forget about the stuff that you may put into your boat. This will quickly increase the TOTAL weight and you may end up being over the 1000 lbs towing capacity.

carp-starter

That is the one thing that we figured out before we bought the boat, but thanks for the reminder! I know the gross vehicle weight and the tongue weight also needs to be in the mix. We are good to go on those points. It's the darned transmission that has me a bit worried....this is a 1998 vehicle with 290,000 kms on it.

For a 116 bucks I would call it cheap insurance besides those little 4 cyl. toy cars and trucks are not really built for towing.

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well.

When I bought the CRV, towing a boat...even fishing was the furthest thing from my mind. Things have changed....will be buying a more suitable towing vehicle when the time is right.

Thanks for the input!

Cliff, it sounds like you've got the transmission concerns taken care of, but now make sure your boat trailer is up to the job too.

If the bearings haven't been looked at, get'er done before you make the trek north, and also be sure your trailer tires are set at the proper pressure and that they're in good shape with no cracks or splits in the sidewalls.

Don't leave your driveway without a spare tire for the trailer. You also need to double check that the lug wrench for your car wheels will also fit the lugs on your trailer wheels cause very often they're different sizes.

I always carry a couple areosol cans of tire sealant and a compressor in the truck too, just incase. A flat tire on the side of a dark hiway without the proper gear is a bad situation to be in :w00t:

A few spare bulbs for your trailer lights is always a good idea too.

Just a few extra things for ya to think about.

ALL vehicles that have a towing package from the factory have a extra tranny cooler included with the towing package. Think about it, it's for a good reason, to protect your EXPENSIVE transmission ! ! !

You have received several good tips here when towing long distances. May I add the following important and ofter overlooked items.

* Towing vehicle tire pressure

* Trailer tire pressure

* A tow vehicle oil change may be in order

* Check tow vehicle coolant levels

* Take a extra quart of motor oil as you may consume more than you think towing long distances

* A good wash job and interior cleaning always makes the vehicle run better :)

ALL vehicles that have a towing package from the factory have a extra tranny cooler included with the towing package. Think about it, it's for a good reason, to protect your EXPENSIVE transmission ! ! !

You have received several good tips here when towing long distances. May I add the following important and ofter overlooked items.

* Towing vehicle tire pressure

* Trailer tire pressure

* A tow vehicle oil change may be in order

* Check tow vehicle coolant levels

* Take a extra quart of motor oil as you may consume more than you think towing long distances

* A good wash job and interior cleaning always makes the vehicle run better :)

What Billy Bob said!

Automatic transmission you would want to shift out of OD when climbibg a grade. The tranny will pretty much tell you when to do this by downshifting and shifting back up repeatedly.

On another note Cliff, I picked up a 4 gig mem card for the camera. I'll get about 9 1/2 hrs of vid on it and I think I can find space on there for your Lakair boat launch!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Greencoachdog

I would figure taking it out of overdrive would give you more pull up that hill. I drive a standard and if the hill is steep, I pop her down a gear as its less stress on the engine.

tons of replies on this....

If you had a stick shift I would say take it out of 5th before you stall...but you have auto....take it out of OD. Its easier on the tranny and your revs will be higher if you slow down.

forrest

Thanks everyone! Lots of great advice there....want to make sure we get there safely and timely!!

The car is already at the repair shop....timing belt and water pump will be installed tomorrow.

Early next week it's in for Tranny cooler and tranny fluid change.

All the other trailering advice will be heeded as well.

Cant wait for Lakair!

Edited by ccmt

You should have no problems cliff. Your boat is really light, and your trailer is not even broke in yet......it needs a good haul to get it broken in. Just watch your temp, and if its shifting too much, drop it down a gear. Its the constant shifting that does the damage.......revving the motor in a lower gear will use more fuel, but I don't think you'll have to.

You'll be fine.

Sinker

How do you look at the bearings to know if they're ok?

Maureen

Here is a simple method I have used for over 20 years without fail.

Jack up trailer and spin tire. Does is spin real good and continue to spin. Is it spinning quietly with no rough bearing sound coming from the hub. If OK now grab the tire with one hand on each side and try to twist the tire. It should only have just a little bit of back and forth play, but not too much. If each tire passes this test jack it down and go catch a fish :Gonefishing: