Bought my first boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victor

As much as I love carp fishing, I target other species as well and I have always dreamed to own a boat. Last year when I went to BPS I was chatting with Roger (BPSBASSMAN) and he gave me a piece of advice, "You have to buy a boat before you get married!". I'm not getting married quite yet but I have decided to take that advice and started saving up. After months of researching on craiglist/buysell/kijiji/classifieds I found the one for me :). Here she is ...

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

It's an older 14' tinny (unknown make) with a side console 1986 20hp Evinrude. The previous owner has already put in a deck, carpetted everything. It has bilge pump, nav. lights, 2 seats, some storage and rod holders made out of PVC pipes. It also has a 40lb Minn Kota PowerDrive in the front. Dropped by BPS again and picked up a pair of saltys for trolling, going to put the fishfinder I used on my canoe on her as well. Roger has kindly offered to give me a livewell pump that he doesn't use anymore so I might also setup a small livewell. I already have a boat safety kit, oars, anchor, pfds. Anything else that i need guys? (O yeah i gotta get myself an OFC decal too) Should I be worried about the boat seats being too high affecting the centre of gravity?

I went to register my trailer yesterday, gotta get the boat also licensed and pick up a cranking battery for the motor before heading out for her maiden voyage this saturday. I just can't wait, hope to get her slimed up soon.

Special thanks to boatman, kevin and BPSBASSMAN for all the help and advice you have given me. Very knowledgable guys who are always willing to answer some questions for the newbies.

Edit: I forgot to add ... she'll be named "girlfriend #2" :D

Edited by Victor

Congrats on the new ride. The style of the boat looks similar to my old Sterling I had but not sure. As for the seats, when fishing on calm days you should be fine. Just use some caution because it will be a bit unstable do to the size of the boat. For running down the lake and rough conditions, even trolling, I'd want the seat closer to the floor. I'd also invest in a set of proper seat pedestals. Those office chair bases look like they'd guarantee you a trip into the lake at some point in time. Now fix it up and go get some fish.

Cool ride! Just the kind of thing I will be moving up to in hopefully the near future.

Half the fun is working on her and tweaking things, when you can't get out on the water (instead of going thru the tackleboxes and polishing and reorganizing.... :whistling: naawww no obsession here :))

hope the boat brings you tonnes of fun this season,I am sure once you get out in it a few times you will decide a few things here and there to set it up "your way" that will be half the fun....have a safe summer on the water :Gonefishing:

I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of that boat.

I just sold my old boat this week, and even though I have a new one, it still almost brought a tear to my eye seeing her go.

Good luck with it, you are well armed to take on some big fish now!!!

Way to go Victor! She's a beauty!!! :thumbsup_anim::clapping::clapping:

A couple of things:

• I would definitely get rid of that pedestal at the back. I would consider lowering the drivers seat (lower pedestal) and possibly putting another one beside it if you have room.
  • Does the control console have a kill switch? That would certainly make the boat safer when travelling (as long as you use it)
  • I didn't notice any tie downs at the back.
  • I would consider putting a short hydraulic pedestal at the back. Something for the future. They're a little pricy and I know that you're a starving student :D

You're gonna love your boat and the better access to the fish. Lots of memories are going to made in that boat. Now you can go fishing for real fish!! jk :lol::lol:

All you have to do now is solve your ladies washroom problem :D

Here's a picture of my first ride. My buddy bought it from me and three boats later, my first one is still going strong. Still have fond memories of her

2006_0625_141707AA.jpg

"Get it before your married" is probably the best advise anyone could of given you on buying a boat!!! Nice rig...the console is a must on any boat in my eyes. You can only last so long out on the water with a tiller before your shoulder is sore !!...this will be one summer you will never forget forsure !!

You will love the boat! It will last a long time as well.

My first 12ft. /w 9.9 lasted 25 yrs before it got too leaky.

Try to get some lake depth maps( Adventure Maps are good) for a start, paired with your depthfinder,

you could find excellent fishing on 10- 15 ft reefs through the Kawarthas this summer. :Gonefishing:

Like others said, you definitely should lower or remove the seats, and get some nice cushy flotation/ seating pads anyways.

Have fun,

ehg

"Get it before your married" is probably the best advise anyone could of given you on buying a boat!!!

this advice is hillarious to me because a friend got married about a year ago and he did just that and a lot more. He upgraded his pickup for a new ford super duty, sold his bassboat and got a Skeeter with a 225HP, traded and upgraded a honda crotch rocket, and bought a new 4 wheeler. He figured that the days of new toys are over once he got married...and he was right. He hasn't been able to get anything since then.