One last Brook Trout Trip

Normally first weekend in June is my Musky opener but the regs changed a bit this year so we decided that we would get one last Specky trip in. On the water by 5:15 am. Mozzy's were thick as thieves. Water was higher than Ive ever seen it in 20 years and there must have been some big heavy winds recently as we noticed lots of fresh green blowdowns. Fishing was pretty slow we figured the high water had the fish hunkered down because despite perfect water temps (61 F) and plenty of caddis hatching we never once saw a rise. Canoe control was tough because of gusting winds and roaring current so I didnt get a lot of fishing in and just decided to concentrate on letting my buddy get good presentations. I managed only two fish both around ten inches. Heres a few that John my buddy caught

Johns first fish of the morning a chunky ten incher at 5:45 AM

100_1447.jpg

A better fish at 12 inches

100_1448.jpg

That was the average range for most of the day which is quite dissappointing as this spot continually produces really nice fish. John's always heard about them but has never had a chance to get one. As we get to one of the better spots. John has a really nice fish hit his spinner right at canoeside. But the hooks pull out because he only has about 3 ft of line out and theres no room for error. Hes heartbroken as the fish would have been his best stream brook trout ever. I tell him we'll keep trying this pool as it has produced more than one fish on many occasions. Finally he's rewarded

100_1451.jpg

100_1452.jpg

100_1453.jpg

On the way home I mangad some wildlife photos

The Ole Gal

100_1460.jpg

Mother and Child

100_1461.jpg

100_1462.jpg

Thats it for brook trout fishing till next year. Time to concentrate on musky.

Thanks for the great post and pictures! :clapping:

Those are a couple of amazing fish there.

100_1451.jpg

100_1453.jpg

Thats it for brook trout fishing till next year. Time to concentrate on musky.

Guest Johnny Bass

WOW! Those are some really nice specks. Especially that last one! And judging from the moose you were way up north and probably photographed it from a boat or a car! I hear mommy mooses are very aggressive when around their children! Nice shots!

WOW! Those are some really nice specks. Especially that last one! And judging from the moose you were way up north and probably photographed it from a boat or a car! I hear mommy mooses are very aggressive when around their children! Nice shots!

No it was beside a bush road and I actually walked right up to within 10 yds of them probably could have got closer even. Just took my time and made no sudden moves.

Very pretty Specks ! Especially for the stream ... thanks for sharing !

And great meese shots ... but please ... Ya gotta be careful with those cows especially when they have calfs around ... I'd hate to read about ya in the wrong sort of report :)

Those are some really nice pics! Very well done!

PS -- I think the current where you were might have killed this particular idea, but on my last canoe trip, I used a drift sock and it worked like a CHARM! Howling winds going by, and you're just inching along, fishing quite happily. $24 at LeBaron...could be worth looking into.

WOW...awesome looking brookies man,great pics too !!!!. :clapping::w00t: ...thats some serious river fishing for sure,those fish are huge,and love those colors as well,and great to see the local wildlife having a look at you guys fishing !!!!!thanks for sharing....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

wow nice, haven't seen specs that size since I lived in the Soo and fished a tonne of back woods lakes,ponds,streams for them.

wicked colours on those ones in the pics, and always a wicked adventure surrounding some good speckie fishin..gotta love the fact that sometimes you have to go fishin in some pretty remote locations to get into the nice ones,and the fact that if you look around the area you are fishing and it looks virtually untouched by people, and can often feel like you may have been the onlt one to fish a spot all season.

Thanks for sharing, pretty cool moose pics too, that don't happen every day