Nipissing eyes

kickingfrog

I got up to Lake Nipissing's south shore for an all too short fishing trip to start this week.

Not much traffic on the highway.

IMG_0006.jpg

Getting close. The windshield was clean when I started.

IMG_0010.jpg

Almost the last turn. My uncle's place is a few small bays west of the Walltonian Inn for those of you familiar with the area.

IMG_0011.jpg

The conditions weren't ideal (when are they) but they could have been a lot worse. My brother and I mostly drifted with bottom walkers and crawler harnesses. We never did find a group of fish that we could sit, on but we did alright.

My brother's first walleye of the season.

IMG_0019.jpg

This one was almost out the other side of the slot. (BTW my brother runs about 350lbs)

IMG_0022-1.jpg

Close-up

IMG_0021.jpg

We got a few for the pan and brought a small package home for my wife.

IMG_0026.jpg

No "blue" ones just some northern gold.

IMG_0025.jpg

After this one we figured it was time to head in for a bite to eat before we started on the bait. Power bait that is.

IMG_0023.jpg

Because of the limited time and the weather I really only used two presentations. When I was fishing with a bunch of other family members including small children we anchored and still fished. I used a power minnow on a jig. Did really well with that. It out fished the other three adults in the boat who were using minnows, the 10 year old girl who was also using minnows kicked my butt however. I will say that I was the one who tied up her rig, sharpened her hook and baited it. The other option was crawler harnesses on bottom walkers when it was just me or me and my brother with the big rollers moving us along. No real colour stood out although in the end we were both using brass blades, I with dark purple iridescent beads and my brother with chartreuse beads.

I grew up in North Bay and still have lots of family that live there. My grand parents had the forsite to buy a small piece of property after renting a cottage for the summer back in the late 1950's when my grandfather worked one summer in North Bay. The area and the lake have change quite a bit in the 30 plus years I've been around. My personal observation on Nipissing is that the fishing is better now then it has been in the last 10-15 years. I caught and saw other boats catch more fish in the slot (40cm-60cm) and out the other side of the slot then any other year since its inception. Take that for what its worth.

Thanks for taking th time to look.

IMG_0015.jpg

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! I noticed there were more fish under the slot this year. As opposed to last year, where 95%of the fish caught were in the slot. The slot limit seems to be working great. Thanks for sharing.

what bay is the cottage in, our cottage is in the same area(Greening Bay). Its too bad you couldn't stick around a couple more days, its beautiful here now!

Yep, same bay. Thanks for the up-date, that really makes me feel better. :P

:Gonefishing: