Little Vermillion, Sportsman Lodge

Whopper

This was my second trip to LV and I didn't think it could be much better than my first but I was pleasantly surprised.

We arrived at Red Lake (Balmertown) on Friday the 16th only to be greeted with the news that we would have to wait until the ice cleared at the dock at Sportsman's Lodge so we could get in and get unloaded. After a few hour wait things were good to go, loading up the Beaver.

LV2008001.jpg

LV2008002.jpg

And away we go!

LV2008005.jpg

Couldn't believe how much ice was still on the area lakes, driving up most seem to be open but we did see snow in the bush and a couple lakes that had some ice, but nothing like we saw from the air.

LV2008006.jpg

LV2008007.jpg

The Beaver hits the water on the west side of the lake about a mile from the lodge and taxis up to the dock, still lots of ice to the east.

LV2008009.jpg

LV2008014.jpg

One thing nice about flying in was being able to check out the lake and the ice free areas which was pretty much the south end of the lake, the creeks and rivers. Little Vermillion is a lake that is basically broken up into two lakes with what they call the Middle Narrows joining the two larger sections.

Our first site of the camp after a long taxi in.

LV2008011.jpg

We hit the dock and unload our gear, only problem was they couldn't get everthing on the plane and we didn't have any rods, so we spent the rest of the day getting unpacked and sitting at the main dock watching the ices flows melt away, a first for me. Amazing what the warm sun along with a good wind will do to the ice.

May 17th Walleye Opener, this is one opener that I will never forget. The numbers of walleyes we caught out of two fairly small areas of one of the rivers that feed the lake was just simply unreal, so much that I had a rythem going with catching the small 15 to 18 inch males.

My partner Norton for the first day with an nice eye.

LV2008015.jpg

A few of the many that were hoisted over the side of the boat

LV2008019.jpg

LV2008020.jpg

LV2008028.jpg

LV2008030.jpg

Norton with a nice northern he jigged up out of our walleye hole, and this wasn't the only one either

LV2008031.jpg

Me with the biggest eye I caught all week

LV2008033.jpg

The rest off the week we pretty much split our time exploring, fishing for the eyes early and late and fishing for pike in the mid to late afternoons when the water would be it's warmest in the bays.

The pike came on spoons (GOLD JSM), small bucktails and suicks were pretty much my weapon of choice, a few of my better pike for the week

LV2008047.jpg

LV2008056.jpg

LV2008057.jpg

LV2008084.jpg

LV2008101.jpg

LV2008107.jpg

Even Deg could get in on the action

LV2008034.jpg

LV2008062.jpg

Here's the fella that started all this for us, TennesseeGuy with a few of his fish on the last day I fished. This was an exceptionally fun day because we were fishing reed beds with spoons and suicks and the fish were pretty spunky which made for some good battles.

LV2008085.jpg

LV2008086.jpg

LV2008090.jpg

LV2008087.jpg

The final sunset I would see for the week at LV

LV2008112.jpg

LV2008114.jpg

Our ride out on Saturday, a nice twin engine Beech.

LV2008116.jpg

The group TennesseeGuy, Whopper, Norton & Deg

LV2008117.jpg

A final view of area we fished a lot throughout the week

LV2008121.jpg

LV2008122.jpg

Truely an awesome place!

Cheers!

Excellent report and pics, Phil. I don't know Norton but it sure is nice to see Don, Connie and yourself in fine form and enjoying yourselves.

Looks you guys just arrived at the cusp of ice out. A couple of days earlier and you might have been socked in for a while.

Thanks for posting that, Phil.

great report and pics...awesome way to show the rugged north country right from the fly-in to the beauty fish in the pics, looks like a great hardcore fishing adventure to me...some real pig pike there.

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report. Looks like the fishing was non stop action. There must be some real monsters lurking in that lake.