Your guests attack you on the fishing boat, what do you do?

Burgerdude

Hello,

I need to express my story and ask for your opinion as to what you would do in these circumstances.

I had the unfortunate experience of being choked over the gunwale of my fishing boat after a 3 hour tour.

I was wondering about maritime or inland water laws pertaining to abusing the captain physically.

I really had not caused any type of attack nor was it warranted. I simply took the guests for a ride on my fishing boat.

The boat was executing a good rate of speed heading up river, but to save fuel I used the trolling motor to glide us back downstream on the return trip.

Upon return to the original dock one of the guests began screaming. Get me to shore NOW!!!, I did the best I could to accomodate the guest and knowing the water was too shallow for the big motor I used the electric and gas trolling motor to get the boat to the dock. I asked the screaming guest to calm down and once the boat was docked the other passenger jumped over the screaming guest and choked me over the gunwale. I waited for them to get off the boat and then let the boat drift offshore a bit before regaining my composure. Two against one in the middle of a dark river was an equation that made me think it was a life or death situation which I did not want to see the equality of. Ever since then I have been told that I was not well liked by both of these guests. I really do not understand this, They did all the bad behavior, I did not cause any of the conflict, I even went so far as not causing conflict by remaining passive during the attack.

This weekend I was approached by the guy who choked me, while I was on shore. I was informed that he had been on the river since age zero and I quote, "He ran the river". I really cannot understand how what he said about running the river is suppose to affect my use of the river or nearby inland waters.

My question is how would you handle this situation within reason?

Police would have been a good solution, however, being it was dark and I needed to get my boat out of the water I drove back to the launch and trailered my boat back to storage. The event happened last year sometime, mid to late season. I had forgotten the date exactly. I really need to know how I deal with this in the future. Do I report this now? or is it too late?

You can use whatever "reasonable means" necessary to keep you're self safe. If hes choking you you can push him off or sock him one or until the threat is gone. when hes crying on the ground is when you cant hit him anymore and call the cops to get him charged... If he attempts to charge you you can claim self defense but ensure you don't go overboard and kick the crap out of him

if a guy attacks me on my boat without me doing anything to deserve it hes not going to be getting to shore by boat maybe a life jacket or a floating ring. Unless he could over power you in that case you have to let them handle the situation and hope it doesnt end badly. Police would have been good but i dont understand what would provoke this outburst and why was he on your boat in teh first place just for a cruise? did he seem nice before you took them out and did u do somethign to scare or upset the passengers.

lots of blanks.

Bowen

The only way I can see they got upset is when I told them they could not drive the boat. I paid good money for the boat, repairs and insurance and if anything happened on or to the boat I wanted to be sure it was me who caused the damage and it would not end in an "Oh I am sorry" where I would have to pick up the bill anyway.

I can mention it really has changed my experience as a boater. The lack of respect by those guests in particular seems to have changed my attitude in general toward inviting any other people on the boat. I know now that if a person has been drinking or seems intoxicated in any way they are not getting on my boat, no way, no how.

well, guest please define? friend, paying customer, someone off the street, were they drinking

if I needed to get to shore NOW, I would not stop and fight the only guy who can get me to shore NOW.....

anyway

there is not enough info to give you an opinion, that would mean anything.......I would call the police under most circumstances.....

there are 3 sides to every story

yours

his

and the truth

I can mention it really has changed my experience as a boater. The lack of respect by those guests in particular seems to have changed my attitude in general toward inviting any other people on the boat. I know now that if a person has been drinking or seems intoxicated in any way they are not getting on my boat, no way, no how.

You answered you're own question... don't let drunk strangers on you're boat and you won't have this problem

I agree, too many holes in the story....

Did they ask you for a ride in your boat or did you ask them? Did they hire you?

Did you have a nice conversation on the way up river?

How did you know these guys before the ride?

Age of you and the other guys?

Alcohol or drugs involved?

Give us more details...

Burt :)

Edit: Wow, flury of posts in last 5 min, some of those questions have now been asked or answered...

Edited by Burtess

I agree, too many holes in the story....

Did they ask you for a ride in your boat or did you ask them? Did they hire you?

Did you have a nice conversation on the way up river?

How did you know these guys before the ride?

Age of you and the other guys?

Alcohol or drugs involved?

Give us more details...

Burt :)

They asked for the ride,

The conversation was great all the way up and all the way down until the last 20 feet to the dock.

I knew one guy as a neighbor and I did not know the attacker at all.

I am 44 yrs old, the screamer is 54 yrs old and the attacker was 38 yrs old.

I was not drinking, the other two seemed to have been drinking.

There is NO way I would have sat there and let someone put there hands around my neck first off.. and I have no issue in saying that once they were laying in their own blood I would have zero issue in smashing every single one of their teeth out with my size 13's.. down or not...

that is if they made it off the boat..

G

There is NO way I would have sat there and let someone put there hands around my neck first off.. and I have no issue in saying that once they were laying in their own blood I would have zero issue in smashing every single one of their teeth out with my size 13's.. down or not...

that is if they made it off the boat..

G

I wouldn't have a problem with it either, its the courts who do...

Did you attempt to put your hands around anything of his prior to them demanding to get to shore? :asshat:

Absolutely not, I did not touch either of these passengers. I did the best I could within reason to get them to shore asap. As I said I found it was too shalow for my Big motor and actually dinged the prop on the rocks trying to expedite the trip to shore, after the Ding, I lowered the kicker and ran the electric motor as a bow steer to get us back to shore.