Favorite Fishing Magazine

What's your favorite magazine for fishing information? I think this will help out a lot of new anglers to find out even more info.

My two favorites are "Bassin" and "Outdoor Canada"

They are both cheap and full of info, some issues can be repetitive but i like these two.

NONE anymore. I find most of them are all Bull and trying to sell you something, anything.

All media is sponsor supported. Whether it be print or electronic. I don't think it's "Bull" and in fact find that SOME advertising is actually entertaining/educational. Some magazines provide much more information/entertainment than others.

i don't read em anymore

Me either Raf, I subscribe to one but the last 3 issues are still sitting here un-read.

I think they're going the way of the TV fishing shows in that there's only so many ways you can describe catching a fish and after awhile every article starts to sound like the last one.

Guest lundboy

A lot of print media is going the way of the dodo. Just look at newspapers, they can barely give them away now. The Internet is putting them to shame.

When I chatted with Al Lindner at the Spring fishing and Boating show, I asked if he was going to start another magazine, he said nope, the show and internet are the way to go. Then I said that In-Fisherman has gone down hill big time, since he sold it, and Rocky Crawford jumped in and said "that's for sure".

The only magazine I still subscribe to is Bass Master, pretty well for the "A Day on the Lake" articles, where they take a pro out to an unknown lake for a day and they make him try to catch fish and document it all in about 20 minute intervals. They include the lures and colours used, fish caught and maps of the structure the fish were caught on. At the end they provide a timeline of fish catches, and a summary of lures used to catch which fish.

dont read many/buy/subscribe to many new ones anymore either

I do have boxes of issues tho... maybe 300-400 of em...

internet is definetly the way to go now i gotta say....

Great Lakes Angler is among my favourite active mags nowadays tho... as is Ontario Out Of Doors

NONE anymore. I find most of them are all Bull and trying to sell you something, anything.

+1

I only ever watch two fishing shows now (Fishful Thinking, only 1/2 commercial, The Fishing Adventurer) and probably will never buy another magazine again.

However.....I have an ample back issues of Ontario Fisherman, circa 1989-1998. Tons of information in there, between those & Backroads Mapbooks I've found more great unknown bass & pike water than I can fish in a lifetime.

I have a subscription to OOD and Outdoor Canada. I occasionally get Bob Izumi's magazine or an Infisherman magazine but I basically just read what comes to my door. OOD is my favourite by far as it talks about rivers/streams that are somewhat local or that I atleast know of or have been to. When my parents moved last fall I threw out a few hundred fishing magazines that I had collected since I was 7 or 8. The covers for all the magazines over the years basically advertise the same articles they do now. Just more recent baits and techniques like dropshotting. There's only so many ways you can tell a reader to drop their ice fishing line down the hole jig it a few times and wait for a fish.

Edited by Beats

All media is sponsor supported. Whether it be print or electronic. I don't think it's "Bull" and in fact find that SOME advertising is actually entertaining/educational. Some magazines provide much more information/entertainment than others.

Just watch some of the better fishing shows like In Fisherman or Linder's Angling Edge. Do you notice anything while they are catching fish. It goes something like this, Today we are catching smallmouth on Rapala's new shad rap. This is one of the HOTTEST lures this season. Or the walleye can't stop biting these Berkley Gulp Alive leeches, this is going to revolutionize walleye fishing.

I can remember and I have the tapes of the original In Fisherman shows where Al used LIVE BAIT to catch walleye, smallmouth or crappie. NOT anymore because you can't get a sponsor for live bait.

I still enjoy Al Linder and other on his new show and some of the guys at In Fisherman but come on this year I have only seen Rapala's and Berkley baits used on either of these shows. This is Bull to me anyway you look at it. You are watching a info commercial at it's finest. They mention almost everything that they use, rod, reel, line and now even the dang landing net. You are being assimilated and you don't even realize it. I believe I seen one show where they even mentioned the gas station they like to stop at on the way to the lake.

Since I don't purchase said magazines I have to ask, do the fishing articles go the same route in mentioning what lures you should use etc..................

Bob