Bilge pumping question

brickNblock

Ive got a question for them that knows.

If you've got quite the distance to travel on water and then the return trip....how often do you run the bilge pump and when do you know when its required?????

I was out yesterday and on my return portion of the trip found the steering hard on the right and comming off plane was a little scary. I ran the bilge pump and it peed out for almost 15min straight at full force like a garden hose. Once empty..or close as you want, everything ran well as it should again.

sounds to me you might have a leak in the boat cuz unless it pours down buckets of rain you shouldn't have any water in your boat, let alone enough that it takes 15 minutes to pump it out :dunno: Even out for a whole day where ya might wind up running in some chop and get a few splashes in the boat will probably not even put enough water in the boat for it to pump out in the first place

I ran the bilge pump and it peed out for almost 15min straight at full force like a garden hose.

That's an awful lot of water to have in your boat Pete considering it hasn't really rained that much all week. Get it good and dry after you dock it and then keep a close eye on it and see how much is coming in.

Sure hope you haven't got a problem with that new boat of yours.

Yup, you either have a leak, or it was full of water when you put it in?

I fished in this boat yesterday, with this leak.

P5220016.jpg

Even if I had a bilge pump, it wouldn't have taken 15 mins to bail it out after fishing for 8 hours straight. I used a large butter container and bailed it twice in that amount of time on the water. Maybe 2 gallons of water each time. 15 mins, with a bilge pump that pumps at least 600 GPH equates to 15 gallons of water.......thats a lot of water!!!

You could have a split livewell line......make sure and check those out real good. Something is not right there, thats for sure.

Sinker

• 3 weeks later...

Pete,

It needs to run when your feet are getting wet! LOL

Sounds like you have a serious leak there!

Either that, or your livewell drains into the bottom of the boat and is supposed to pump out from there. I have seen boats with this set up before.

I always turn mine on when I first drop it in the water. If there is any there I know it is from rain -- sitting in my drive.

At the end of the outing I turn it on to see if there is any.

Also, when it is sitting in the water for a week. I turn it on and check at the begining and end of each day. It's better to catch something, rather than reacting to a full blown problem.

Entropy

I had the boat out last night and there was no problems at all...after about an hour and a half trip w/30 min of it being WOT there was hardly a trickle to be pumped out.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on what might be , I took some advice and replaced the bilge plug.

When I went into CTC w/ the old plug to compare sizes I thought the old one looked small and they didnt have my size.....So, off to the marina for advice and to spend three times as much. Turns out it was missing the nylon flap/collar, where the clevice folds down to lock and it was indeed split lengthways....like it had been run over or something. I dont know what else could have done that...(x3 spent with no problems this time)

!WHEW!.....It had been taking water in, slowly but steadily...OK not so slowly....

I got to tell you the first time I noticed it it scared the begeeze out of me because when I came off plane there must have been so much water in the bilge that the boat shifted with the momentum of the water...which is why I had problems steering it and it dove to one side....

To say I was a little concerned would be an understatement.

Thank-you all for your input.

I dont think that was the original bilge plug from this boat anyway...it was to wore down/abused besides being cracked...(the crack was not all that visible but when pried or compressed it opened up) The boat is only 7yrs old...

Ive a 14'tinny too, that is at least 25yrs old and there has never been an issue....I rechecked the tinny's plug and it was in better shape.

Oh well...problem solved

Thanks again folks.

I had a similar issue this spring.

my boat was filling up quite a bit.

I was in a panic, I had never worked with livewells before so I thought it was one of those.

What I did was just take the boat home, put it in the drive way and fill it up with the garden hose.

Guess what it was.... Stupid me replaced the fishfinder, the old transducer had 3 holes, the new one only has 2 holes, some dumbass(me) forgot to silicone the old holes and the new holes... I couldn't believe the water the boat was taking on for just a little hole...

I had a similar issue this spring.

my boat was filling up quite a bit.

I was in a panic, I had never worked with livewells before so I thought it was one of those.

What I did was just take the boat home, put it in the drive way and fill it up with the garden hose.

Guess what it was.... Stupid me replaced the fishfinder, the old transducer had 3 holes, the new one only has 2 holes, some dumbass(me) forgot to silicone the old holes and the new holes... I couldn't believe the water the boat was taking on for just a little hole...

LOL,

Wendal, I have just tonight finished hooking up my new sonar unit and when I went to locate a placement for the transducer found thewre was 4 previous installations that were never siliconed/sealed.....could have added to my situation too...

I just got in minutes ago from sealing these off as well..

I also gave the complete hull a TWICE OVER to check for anything else as well.....DANG!