For those about to Freeze (Camping)

Clampet

I know I froze my butt off... I was not camping though and had a warm cottage (Bernies) to come back too... but the rain and wind while spending hours on the water was enough to chill you to the bone..

The woodstove certainly received a work out this weekend!

G

I consider myself lucky it only snowed 2 of the 4 days I was out. Mind you it rained the other 2. Suck it up its may long weekend. The federal government pretty much decreed you to camp in crappy weather in stupid remote locations and chase trout. 20km path and paddle in 20 out uphill both ways...this is what drives me the 364 days til next year.

Im going next weekend again but nothing holds the mystique of MLW

AFter working on Saturday, I made it up to Muskoka on Sat. night. Stopped the truck by the lake, caught a small walleye, then went out bright and early Sunday morning. Beautiful sunrise, nice morning, I thought the forecasters were going to be wrong! Another small walleye, some OOS bass, and off to church. Came back, it poured rain all day, and I didn't get out until Monday morning. Freeeeezing cold...still managed a few fish, but alas, no walleye dinner for me.

Good ol' May 24 -- that's the way it goes, sometimes. Temagami, here I come!!!!!

furthermore, this thread further illustrates why 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish.

Absolutely Raf, I never could understand why folks cancel a fish'n trip because of some nasty weather.

We had a couple 15 year old's in our group this weekend and they never once complained about the rain or wind and stuck it out as good as anyone else, infact the 10 pound pickeral was caught by one of them in 3' waves late at night.

That's a couple kids that are gonna grow up on the right side of the fence ;)

Like anything in life, if you go in prepared it is no big deal. A little rain, cold and wind can be tolerated quite nicely if prepared.

Way I look at it, we only have so many weekends on the top side of the grass in our lives, so I try to enjoy everyone I get and will not let a little unpleasant weather stop me from enjoying myself. Plus those times can make for some of the best memories and a sense of accomplishment.

we did ok, how many didya catch surfing the couch, Paul?

I don't persue the sport like I used to anymore. I still enjoy keeping up with what is happening on the scene, but I guess you could say, I choose my outings based on weather, season, and potential to catch fish, and of course my budget. I figured the Nip opener would be a cold one. so I am banking that it should be a better bite in another 2-3 weeks, dependin'.

Heh, don't get sore at me, fer freezin' yer butt off and not gettin' much. :dunno:

I don't persue the sport like I used to anymore. I still enjoy keeping up with what is happening on the scene, but I guess you could say, I choose my outings based on weather, season, and potential to catch fish, and of course my budget. I figured the Nip opener would be a cold one. so I am banking that it should be a better bite in another 2-3 weeks, dependin'.

Heh, don't get sore at me, fer freezin' yer butt off and not gettin' much. :dunno:

I don't think anyone is getting sore with you Clamp-it. (I could be wrong :whistling: )

All I'm saying is that if your going to sit home and whine about the typical may weather we had over the weekend, your not gonna catch much. I fished saturday and sunday in cold, wind, rain, sun, sleet, wet snow/bugs........and I had a great time. I wouldn't change a thing. I find fishing in adverse conditions is a great learning tool.....you've gotta work a little harder for your fish, but you learn something everytime.

What did ya learn at home on the puter? If you don't get out and try it, you won't get any better at fishing in tough conditions.

Its like JohnAB said......it just adds to the adventure.

Sinker

great.. try posting those on ontariolandmarks.com , might generate more interest there. instead of throwing a pity party for people who actually go out and fish on a fishing site.

I went out for the long weekend, stayed in a 1 season pup tent.When we could get out on the Lake ( high winds, and waves over the side of the little boat) we did very well.For the 3 hours of real time on the water.We landed over 40 fish.We were looking for big Pike.Casting big buck tail inline spinners, and big stick baits.We only got 50 % Pike.The Bass were on the bite.We tried bigger buck tails, and faster, but the Bass were in the same places we were hitting some good Pike.We did'nt want to mess the Bass up.But we were using BIG pike baits, and olny landing 50% Pike.I guess there is'nt much you can do.

Here are some of the pic's.We tried to take lots of pic's.But when the bite turned on.It was hard to pick up the cam all the time.More of less, 20 Pike this size.And 20 Bass around the same size.And I should'nt have to say this.But... of course all the Bass we put back as gentle as possible.We moved all over the Lake.And hit some good Pike.Problem was the Bass when in the same places.Not much we could do.

The weather SUCKED!!! but I had a great weekend.I dressed for the weather and tuff'd it out!!!The nite time sleeping was cold and windy.But hey...This is Canada.

I'm glad I went.Any day is a great day to go fishing.Good weather or bad.They are all good. :thumbsup_anim:

jhonny_490.jpg

jhonny_494.jpg

jhonny_500.jpg

jhonny_497.jpg

jhonny_498.jpg

I went out for the long weekend, stayed in a 1 season pup tent.When we could get out on the Lake ( high winds, and waves over the side of the little boat) we did very well.For the 3 hours of real time on the water.We landed over 40 fish.We were looking for big Pike.Casting big buck tail inline spinners, and big stick baits.We only got 50 % Pike.The Bass were on the bite.We tried bigger buck tails, and faster, but the Bass were in the same places we were hitting some good Pike.We did'nt want to mess the Bass up.But we were using BIG pike baits, and olny landing 50% Pike.I guess there is'nt much you can do.

Here are some of the pic's.We tried to take lots of pic's.But when the bite turned on.It was hard to pick up the cam all the time.More of less, 20 Pike this size.And 20 Bass around the same size.And I should'nt have to say this.But... of course all the Bass we put back as gentle as possible.We moved all over the Lake.And hit some good Pike.Problem was the Bass when in the same places.Not much we could do.

The weather SUCKED!!! but I had a great weekend.I dressed for the weather and tuff'd it out!!!The nite time sleeping was cold and windy.But hey...This is Canada.

I'm glad I went.Any day is a great day to go fishing.Good weather or bad.They are all good. :thumbsup_anim:

Were ya fishin on 'Lake X'? How did the trailer hold up?

Just got back in from our long weekend at the French River - very cold and wouldn't trade it for the world. Just me and the 2 kids and we had a blast despite the freezing temps. Lot of rain, hail, wind and cold but we survived. Burned alot of firewood at night to keep warm, we smell like the south end of a northbound mule, didn't catch alot of fish but as I said would not trade it for anything. Was nice to see the 2 kids cooperate, work together, get things done and even sometimes get along as we had no choice.

Now, that being said, putting up with that, we do deserve some extra nice weather on the Canada Day Holiday when we are up there next.